Which EOS film camera?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by JamesBill, Jun 19, 2012.

1. JamesBill

JamesBill Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I am a digital EOS user wanting to get into film. After thinking about a rangefinder, it hit me that I already have a nice collection of EF lens so why not buy an EOS. Then looking around it seems the nicer ones are very cheap these days (sub $100)

For an easy transition into film which would you suggest? It seems like the EOS-3 and the ELAN 7NE have semi modern focus and metering; and available in almost unused shape. Any suggestions on a particular model or something to look out for I might be missing?

Thanks

2. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't say the EOS3 has "semi-modern" metering and focusing, this camear has all that is needed (and more) for technically perfect photography. If you can get an EOS3 (but I doubt $100 is enough) then I'd recommend getting one. I've had one for about 10 years, and it's a really great camera. The "booster" (PBE2 grip) makes it a huge beast, but the ergonomics are great with thsi combination, if you're not afraid of the weight.

3. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    James the EOS 3 is not Semi-Modern but a state of the art camera, the only difference to the newer digi cams is that the digicams have an inferior image capturing system. I also doubt that 100$ will be enough. Some of the Eos 1 are available quiet cheap but still over $ 100.

Dominik

4. JamesBill

JamesBill Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Ah you guys are right. I was quoting prices I found of the Elan 7NE (EOS 30V). I only said semi-modern because I noticed it didn't have E-TTL II like the Elan 7NE (don't care, won't use my flash) Still looks like under 200 bucks on eBay.

I have never shot a roll of film but have had much experience (amateur) with DSLRs. Both of these will have a better viewfinder, and similar shutter durability I assume. What about the film advance durability, and metering of the cheaper Elan 7NE? They made them more recently, so I might find an example in nicer or even new condition.

Should I just get the EOS-3 considering it cost 5% or less than the 5D-III I have been lusting after? I think the sooner I get a body the better because the cash isn't significant and I have much to learn about film types.

5. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will not go wrong with EOS 620 or EOS 650. They are big and built like a tank.

6. kerne

kerne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 620, 630 and 650. They all take great photos.

7. jnoir

jnoir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    EOS 50/50e/55. I love my EOS 55 (an EOS 50e for the Japanese market)

8. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This.......I have the A2 and the 650, 650 is a monster. I started on a Rebel and went back to 35mm, picked up a 5D and now have a pair of Elan A2's, you can get them all day for under 100 but many are plagued with the common dial problem where the stops on the dial quit working.

Best to get the 650, 620 or 30, the 630 has a backlit LCD if I remember correctly.

9. trojancast

trojancast Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have both EOS 3 and EOS 1V. Both are professional grade and produce beautiful photographs. I bought the EOS 3 used from B & H for about $300.00 with condition 9 on the listing. What I received was an absolutely mint, rarely used camera with state of the art autofocus and metering. I think it is the best deal I have ever made and continue to cherish this amazing camera. I think you will find that a lot of original owners of these last generation film cameras used them for a very short time, then switched to digital. If you can find one, it may be the best money you ever spent, even if it is $300.00.

10. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1V. Can't go wrong. Still in production!

11. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an EOS 3 and an A2E. Happy with both, but more so with the former. The eye-control focus is pretty nifty, especially on the 3. The 3 works with my 580EX II and 270EX II (but not in E-TTL II), whilst the A2E doesn't.

12. rthomas

rthomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    When the EOS 3 came out, I was a dedicated Nikon shooter, but the focus system on that camera was and is amazing. At the time I was studying photojournalism, covered a fair amount of sports, and thought that the EOS 3 would be great in that setting (I never got to find out as it was beyond my means at the time). If I was doing that kind of work now I would get one in a heartbeat.

13. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 600 series, the first-generation EOS, are great cameras, though the user interface is a bit odd. Their Achilles Heel is a shutter bumper that oozes goo over the shutter blades and needs to be professionally attended to. At one time I had quite an assortment of 600 series bodies, but have pared it down to three RT.

The Rebel series are the Entry Level models. They vary from 'no features at all' to full functionality. Small and light. No idea how quiet they are, and I've never heard anything against their reliability. Some have plastic lens mounts, and pentamirrors instead of pentaprisms, giving darker viewfinders.

The Elan series (except the 7N/7NE), plus the A2/A2E/5 and 10S, all have finicky mode dials that will eventually need replacing. The A2/A2E/5 is reputed to be a fine camera otherwise. A step above the Rebel, not of the EOS 1 class, but perfectly serviceable cameras.

The Elan 7N/7NE are pretty recent, and as such there are plenty of nearly unused ones available. No issues of any kind that I'm aware of. Very light and extremely quiet. Full functionality. Highly recommended.

The EOS 1 series are all heavyweights and, to my knowledge, have never had reliability problems of any kind. They tend to be loud. The best buy among this group, considering age, features, and price, is probably the 1N. Don't believe what people say about its weather sealing though; I took mine out during a very light sprinkle, got a few drops of water on the top deck, and the next day it was malfunctioning. A few weeks in a bag of rice dried it out, and is as good as ever. The 1V is a fabulous camera, but still commands a fabulous price. The original EOS 1 is a bit whiny.

My favorites are the RT and 1V, but I recommend the 1N and Elan 7N as being very nice fully capable cameras at a very good price.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 3 is a great camera. The 1V is just that bit more refined and the VF is as good as it gets on a AF camera, however given that you can buy 3 3s :D for the price of a 1V I wouldn't hesitate getting a 3. The AF is top notch, the viewfinder excellent and you can even use the latest screens for the 5D/1Ds on it. The only thing is that the 3 is quite loud as a camera but then again the motor drive noise it makes is probably the nicest.

The Elan 7/30V is also a great camera, it is very quiet, has a good size grip and viewfinder (nicer than crop digi cameras) and is well built. The AF is not as good as a 1V but it is smaller, lighter and costs nothing.

BTW, I've owned all the above cameras and currently have a 1V. If I had to swap a 1V for the Elan7 I would still be very happy.

All these cameras can use your EF lenses and any flashguns plus they can use all the old TTL flashes what can be had for nothing and are just as good with negative film. Given the price of a 30V I wouldn't bother with anything older. You may also want to consider that Canon will still service the 1V.

16. gmikol

gmikol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm gonna jump in on the EOS-3 bandwagon...I rented one a long time ago (when all I had was a Rebel G), and loved it. Bought a used one for myself not long thereafter. I recently got a great deal on a 1V with the EOS Link software and adapter, so I'm now selling the EOS 3 here on APUG (shameless plug).

If you absolutely have to stay below $100, or are looking for something a little lighter weight, go with the Elan 7N, it's probably the best choice (and the newest). AF and metering similar to what you might have on the digital side (depending on your camera). Don't mess with the film Rebels, IMO. (Though I'm perfectly happy with my digital rebel.)

Good luck--

Greg

17. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Canon will service EOS 1V bodies if enrolled under Canon Professional Services. It is the only film camera still serviced regularly by Canon. Servicing can be very, very expensive and most other EOS bodies are not handled by Canon now, but independent repair centres with lots and lots of spare parts.

18. segedi

segedi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an élan 7 that I'd consider selling as I have a 7e. I also have a dead 7ne... Seems to be stuck in DOF mode. Aperture stays at whatever it's set to. PM me if interested in either the 7 or 7ne.

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm one of those who likes the "e" in the 7e and the Elan IIe, because for me the eye control focus seems to respond reliably.

If that function works well for you, it is really neat.

I also have a couple of Rebel 2000s - incredibly small and light (even with the accessory grip), incredibly cheap and very functional.

20. JamesBill

JamesBill Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    All of the replies have been incredible. Thanks

Looking at the specs I am a little down on the 30V having a small finder and not having spot metering and the EOS 3 is larger than my current bodies.

I think I will just see which one comes along first in great shape and jump on it.

21. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    James, if you're heading for serious landscape photography, a finder with 100% view is essential. What you cannot see or predict outside that 92% cut-off is often the most annoying little things. In that regard I would angle toward the 1N or 1V. Spot metering is useful in some respects, but evaluative and partial metering are also excellent.

22. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I started shooting film again, I too wanted a body that took my EF lenses. I got an Elan II for $50, which was mint, but there was goo on the shutter. I cleaned it off with a bit of alcohol and WD40, and now it works perfectly. It's light, even with the battery grip so you can use rechargeable AA's, quiet, and you can buy them for a song. I think I'm going to get another couple as backups and look for a good "3" in the near future.

23. JamesBill

JamesBill Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I just want to update this thread and thank everyone. I bought an EOS 3 packaged with a few dozen rolls of expired film a few weeks after the thread. I still have it and when I got some pictures from it developed this weekend I thought of this thread.

24. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have lots of film cameras but if I were totally honest with myself my EOS 1V is really all the camera I would ever need. Canon is certainly not my first choice but every time I try to convince myself to sell this 1V I just keep coming up with new reasons I need to keep it.

25. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No love for the EOS 1 or EOS 1n?

26. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I agree, it's great!

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk