Which Hexar ?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by johnny9fingers, May 2, 2007.

1. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've contemplated getting a Hexar AF for a couple years and am now gonna bite the bullet and get one. There are at least 3 versions that I know of, the original Black, the pinkish Rhodium, and the Silver. I've heard it's best to get the Silver as it is the most recent version and can be programed with the stealth mode. What is the experience you folks have with this fine camera.?

2. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the black one, and it also has stealth mode. You'll find a fair amount of info on this camera on PhotoNet. This camera has a great lens and is very easy to carry around.

3. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a black and a Titanium. They are both great. The difference is on the cosmetics. My favorite metal is rhodium, though...

So far, the problem I had is erratic shutter button. It's a very common problem, and the main complaint from users was that repair order to the Konica repair business got refused because of lack of parts. My website describes how to do this yourself.

http://wiki.silvergrain.org/wiki/index.php?title=Konica_Hexar

4. nicolai

nicolai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ryuji, thanks for that, mine has the shutter button problem. Perfect!

5. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a silver one with stealth mode programmed, and have been thinking about selling it. I hardly do any 35mm any more, I use a mamiya 6 almost exclusively these days. Contact me if interested, I guess I'd be asking ~$300, exc. condition except it's missing a screw in diopter / VF cover and has very minor scuffing on the back- neither issue affects pictures at all of course.

Anyway these are great cameras, the only major limitation in my opinion is the top shutter speed.

6. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing many bokeh "authorities" don't mention is that, lens shutter with modest top speed is actually good for bokeh, if used at or near the top speed. Should Konica mention this in the product announcement, the camera would've sold a bit more? Maybe...

7. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks to all for your reponses, and thank you Keith for the offer, I have sent you a PM.

8. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't see why fast shutter speed would affect bokeh, unless it forces you to work wide open where aperture-leaf effects are moot.

Anyway I agree that the camera could have been better marketed. But I have the same complaint about so many cameras and films...!

And the lens on the hexar is really amazing. I bought the camera basically as a top-notch 35/2 which happens to have an AF body attached.

9. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, that's not the reason. The shutter leaves don't move fast enough, so that the axis is open for the longest time, and the periphery is open for the less duration of the total exposure. It creates a temporal distribution of a shaded aperture, which is known to improve bokeh, both in front and back of the sharp focus. The same goal could be achieved by a aperture diaphragm of a single sheets with big hole at the center and many small holes toward periphery. It it could be achieved by shaded filter with clear center and density builds up toward the edge, in place of aperture blade.

It doesn't have to be Hexar's shutter. It can be Auto S2 or other older rangefinders with a lens shutter.

And that free body is amazing too. It has quirky operation due to the age of electronic design, but manageable. It's awesome for IR photography, stealth street photo, snapshot and a lot more. I wish it had a PC socket but that's a minor problem. Shutter release attachment, strap loop size, many little issues... but the whole thing is great.

10. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The deed is done. A Silver Hexar will be on its way here soon, and I can't wait.

12. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed, it will reach you soon! :wink:

13. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I've just received my first slides from my recently purchased Hexar AF. My first reaction was a mixture of joy and sadness. Joy because the slides were so beautiful, simple snapshots of family and friends that glowed like jewels. Perfect sharp focus and right on the money exposure, a true delight. The sadness settled in a bit later when I realized what a lousy photographer I must be, as my previous slides were mediocre at best, with poor exposure calculation and hit and miss focusing. Now that I have had time to think about all this I am once again very happy. Happy that the Hexar can help me with the focus and exposure issues freeing me to concentrate on composition of the picture. I have found the camera I have been looking for, for a long time. I love this camera and now need to get another as a backup. Now I just have to find the cash.......

14. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another update. I made pictures of my son's spring concert with the Hexar, loaded with Delta 3200 and shot at 1600. What a joy to use, and the woman next to me asked why I wasn't taking any pictures, while you could hear the shutter sounds of digitals all around. The camera operates soooo smooth and it's not very hard to figure out the functions either, that is another myth de-bunked. I will be getting another as soon as I sell off some other gear.

15. ChrisPlatt

ChrisPlatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I detest highly automated cameras, but that lens alone seemed worth the price of admission.

Despite the warnings and my own reservations I bought one, a Hexar Silver with Stealth mode added.

What a delightful camera! The results are superb, and it turned out to be fairly easy to operate.

The 1/250th top speed is not a great limitation for general photography.
    I'd advise purchasing a good neutral density filter, though.

I have had many 35mm cameras, but this one is a real keeper. :smile:

Chris

16. GraemeMitchell

GraemeMitchell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had one of these for about 6 months and have been looking for another one. It's one of the best lenses I've ever shot with for available light portraits. It is the sort of lens you could build a career on. Imo, it is only really special at 5.6 or, preferably, faster.

The 1/250th doesn't bug me so much. The shooting pace does. You have to press the button, let go, wait for it to wind, press the button. It seems silly, but it is slow. I'm used to cameras that are limited in speed to as fast as I can wind and click.