Which Hood for My Nikkor 50/2 AI?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by FilmOnly, Mar 4, 2010.

1. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I found a nice Nikkor 50/2 AI (a lens I have never used or owned), and it is on the way. I see that the HS-2 and HS-6 are the correct hoods. I gather neither is a screw-in hood. I tend to like screw-in hoods. Anyway, which hood should I buy?

2. i40west

i40west Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Those are snap-on hoods, not screw-in. I believe the HS-6 was the one made for the Ai version of that lens, but either should work fine.

3. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You can use the rubber HR-1, which screws in and can be collapsed, or I often use the HN-7, all metal screw in, a bit long but doesn't clip and helps out here in strong backlit.

5. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The HN-5 is meant for the 50's. Personally, I haven't had issues with the HS-2's (or even the older "F Nikkor 50/2" version). It does come in handy to be able to store the hood reversed on the lens. Helps keep the focusing ring from getting damaged, if the camera happens to be dropped while the hood is attached.

-J

6. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yet to come across an HN-5. And still looking for an HN-14.

7. Steve Goldstein

Steve Goldstein Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I appreciate the comments. What is a "snap-on" hood? I am familiar with the clamp-on and bayonet types, but am unsure as to what "snap-on" would designate.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2010
  9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The front element is reasonably deep, so the need for a hood is not that bad.

The snap-on hoods snap on. :smile: They have a little lock button you press to release. I have one on my 105/2.5 AI. They will mount to a filter, which is nice, whereas the screw-in filters require your filter (if you're using one) to have threads.

10. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The snap-on hood is basically just a threaded hood with a broken thread. You have a pressure button which you use to depress the hood threads inwards. After releasing the button the hood threads are secured against the filter threads on the lens. I find it pointless and if you have the option for a screw-in hood just use that. The hoods don't have a reason to be removed with the small size of manual Nikkors.