Which mags do you buy?

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by gr82bart, Feb 25, 2007.

1. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like most of us with GAS, it's most likely our disease has metastasized to magazines too. Which magazines do you buy on a regular basis or subscribe to? I'll go first. I don't subscribe to all of these, but buy most of them on a regular basis - I should subscribe, since it'll will be cheaper in the end!

Photo
    Photo Life <--a really good photo mag from Canada
    PDN
    Victor <--Hasselblad's new mag - replaces Forum
    Light Leaks <--for Toy Cameras
    JPG
    B&W <--the collector one, not the UK one of the same name
    Black + White <--a fantastic Australian mag and different than the above two mentioned
    View Camera
    Camera Arts
    foto8 <--great UK photojournalism mag
    Lenswork
    Shots
    The New Nude
    Photographer's Forum
    American Photo <--it's getting a bit "Coors Lite" for me

Every now and then I'll admit browsing through 'pop' photo mags like Popular Photography - they're like Coors Lite is to beer - junk food for the photography mind.

Regards, Art. (Thank goodness I never subscribed to Emulsion - I had a gut feeling that would turn out bad)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2007
  2. JosBurke

JosBurke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks as you get the bulk of the lot !! Camera Arts is on it's last leg IMO--I generally keep the imaging mags. but CA generally heads for the can---content has become boring and un-interesting--- Shots is one of my faves with some great images always--- I perruse stuff like Pop Photog too but there is little of interest-- VC is still a fave--the UK B&W mag I really like--PDN is a very interesting read usually-- I tend to hang out at my Barnes and Noble and have a nice Starbucks Venti Caramel Latte as I browse--I actually buy very few and subscribe to few--- my mail constantly is wet or otherwise damaging to a magazine ! I subs. to PDN, B&W the collecter/buyer one, and Shots !

3. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Art!
    Every once in a while, I'll pick up a copy of B&W if I know someone here is featured. I'll also snag an occasional copy of Photo Techniques cause they still deal with "Real" photography stuff & darkroom stuff.

As for Emulsion... I love it! If putting out a good magazine that deals with "real" photography = "turning out bad" then I wish to heck that more photo magazines would 'turn out bad'. :confused: Too bad you missed the boat on that one! :wink: Great articles & high quality printing.

It's kind of like supporting APUG... why would anyone not support all things dedicated to film-based photography? :confused:

4. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    While you've made a pretty good list there are even more than listed above. Just googling "Photography Magazines" turned up some I've never heard of before. Even though I never read it I can't beleive you forgot "Shutterbug". Ditto for Aperture. :smile:

My monthly photo budget is limited as well as my time so I've restricted the number of magazines to three now:

Lens Work
    View Camera
    Black & White

If money were no object I would probably subscribe or buy them all no matter how wretched, there is always a need for reading material while sitting on the throne. Yes some photo mags are pure swill.

Also let us not forget ezines which are found on the WWW only.

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Amateur Photographer every week
    Practical Photographer monthly on subscription which will soon be replaced with a subscription to:
    Back and White Photography (UK)

That's it really. I tend to buy photography books from secondhand shops instead of magazines - usually for the same price. e.g. this weekend I bought Linda McCartney's 1960's book for £2.99 which is about the same as you would pay for a monthly magazine here.

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2007
  6. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh I'm not even going to list those I have! Now we're talking bookshelves of books. I probably have several hundred photography books easily. GAS, MAS and BAS. Deadly diseases all.

Regards, Art.

7. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't we have a similar thread recently? Not that that's going to stop me ...

The only magazine I subscribe to is PDN. Not every issue is interesting (being in Australia, I find their annual '50 states' issue to be pretty dull) but overall it's the best all round photo magazine that I know of.

Used to subscribe to Hasselblad Forum but I let it lapse & haven't felt compelled to take it up again.

Has the print quality of View Camera magazine dropped over the years? I bought an issue a year or so back & thought the reproduction quality was poor. I'm sure it was printed much better 6 or so years ago when I used to read a mate's copies. Print quality is important when you are promoting the resolution advantages of large format.

8 looks like a really interesting magazine, it's just the price that has put me off subscribing so far. I might just bite the bullet & subscribe for 1 year.

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I subscribe to _LensWork_, _Aperture_, and _Emulsion_ these days.

9. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think VC has maintained the quality of its photographic reproductions rather consistently. It has actually even improved its text by being better proofed than it used to be.

The magazine I find lacking in quality is B&W. Even though I subscribe, I am almost always disappointed by the reproductions therein. Still...it's the only thing on the stand that is quite like itself.

Otherwise, I maintain my interest in and subscription to Lenswork. It's a really well made publication.

10. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Black and White (UK)
    Lenswork
    Photo Techniques
    Emulsion (only received one issue)

I have let the others I used to get lapse because I didn't have the time to read them. I will make time to read Lenswork and Black and White.

11. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Black and White (UK),
    B&W (buy in shop)
    Emulsion
    Lenswork
    View Camera.

Just started my subscription for VC when I got a chance to be in it... :D

12. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Damn Art, you made of money or something? I subscribe to Emulsion and LensWork, and I'll buy anything that looks good on the bookstore rack, but I find that I don't spend a lot of money on magazines. It has to have some substance to it, and preferably no gear reviews, for me to want to spend hard my earned cash on something other than paper, film, or chemicals. Let me re-phrase that last, 'photographic' chemicals...

- Randy

13. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Art, as an artsy Torontonian I'm surprised that you don't have Prefix. It's probably the only Canadian magazine about contemporary art photography. Lots of good stuff in it, as well as some dubious stuff, but that's the artworld. I subscribed to it.

I also read Lenswork, Aperture, have a subscription to Emulsion, I read the UK Black and White Photog in kiosks, check the occasional bits in Photo Techniques and when I feel tabloid, I look at the pretty colors in Pop Photo. Oh, and I check also the French Photo magazine, especially for the good-looking ladies.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Used to get a lot more. Today, the subscription list is limited to:

View Camera
    Lenswork
    B&W

I occasionally pick up a copy of Black & White (UK) - when I can find it (which is rare).

16. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I only buy on subscription the following:
    Black and White Photography
    Lenswork
    Emulsion
    and Ag (www.ag-photo.co.uk)

17. David Louis

David Louis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Artforum
    Art in America
    The New Yorker
    Art News
    Aperture

18. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Emulsion" is the only magazine I subscribe to right now. I've let "Lenswork" and "Aperture" lapse and that seemingly never ending subscription to "Popular Photography" finally ran out. I considered subscribing to "B&W" but instead I just buy it occasionally. I think I'll go back to browsing the magazines at Barnes & Noble (with an occasional purchase) instead of subscribing to anything again. I'll put the cost of a yearly magazine subscription toward the cost of a book by or about a photographer I'm really interested in.

19. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&W (US) - had this one since issue #1
    Photo Techniques
    American Photo (will not renew this one)

I recently let Pop Photo lapse (and will not renew) after approx 147 years of reading Herb Keppler. :rolleyes:

I wish Ailsa's Black and White Photography wasn't so expensive in the US. However, as I cut back on other subs, maybe I'll pick it up.

20. PaulH

PaulH Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    LensWork
    LensWork Extended
    View Camera
    B&W (US)
    Blind Spot

I've let Camera Arts and Photo Techniques lapse. Camera & Darkroom (a gem) lapsed on its own. B&W may be the next to go.

21. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    how soon is now?

Currently B+W UK, Ag, View Camera and Emulsion. I'm going to give Lenswork a go as well.It's not always easy to find a photography magazine that doesn't have pages of gizmo reviews in it these days:sad: :confused: but the truth is still out there:wink:

22. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Dissing" Lenswork...

Has anyone read David Vestal's critique of Lenswork in the current issue of PhotoTechniques? He doesn't actually name the magazine, but describes it quite specifically nonetheless. I usually enjoy Vestal's column grounded as it is in about a zillion years of experience in the profession as a photographer and as a teacher at a major NYC art school. I often agree wholeheartedly with him, but in this case, I have to spend some time absorbing what he finds objectionable (waaaay too precious renderings of 'graphs that may well be more course than the magazine presents..I think!). I like Lenswork. It'll be interesting to personally critique it with reference to another's perspective.

23. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Who has time to read mags at home....therefore I subscribe to none. At Borders, once in a while over coffee, i'll check out Lenswork and/or view camera mag. Oh...UK's b&w is pretty good also...but they keep spelling things wrong.

24. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I owe Aggie an apology. She contacted me to rectify the situation, which made me look for which issue I had received. Turns out volume one of Emulsion was filed away and I never even read it. So, Aggie, I am sorry for the confusion and unintentional slight.

Larry

25. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I subscribe to Amateur Photographer, Black and White Photography (UK), Lenswork Extended, View Camera and Outdoor Photographer.

26. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Curently I subscribe to B&WP UK and no others.

I used to subscribe to Amateur Photography, until the price went up. I then measured the amount of time I spent actually reading an issue and binned the subscription.

Practical Photography also used to be on my subscription list despite the increasing amount of digital content. Then a couple of years ago they did a Black and White special without any traditional photography in it (except a token "what film for what purpose" which was of very debatable merit) closely followed by an issue containing the phrase, "lost hours in smelly darkrooms". :mad:

I concluded that I shouldn't pay to be pissed off when there were so many people in the world prepared to piss me off for free... :wink:

Ailsa's mag is a cut above the rest IMO. As long as the digital content doesn't grow and Mike Crawford doesn't put in too many howlers (eg. "MGWT FB gives no tonal shift in Gold Toner"?!!! (paraphrase) :surprised: :rolleyes: ) then I think I'll be subscribing for a long time to come.