Which Minolta MF?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Andrew West, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Andrew West

Andrew West Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a box of MD mount lenses in good condition. Unfortunately, I don't have a working camera to use them with. Yesterday, I had to send in my Nikon for some repairs so I'm currently without a good SLR and will be for a month or so if I simply sit and wait.

This will not do.

I like the feel of the old Minoltas. Beyond that, I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I'd want something with a good meter; I tend to shoot aperture-priority oftentimes. A shutter-priority mode would also be nice. I'm not a fan of plastic. Like most here, I don't trust something that can't withstand a four foot drop.

I was originally looking for something to carry around for documentary and candid work. That is still the primary reason I'll be carrying around the thing, but right now I'll be using it for portraits too.

I have been (and still am) looking around online. I just figured someone around here might know something I don't; maybe some firsthand experience or something from a friend of a friend.

Once again, folks; thank you very, very much.

2. CraigH

CraigH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I personally like the XK & the SRT-102. I would suggest any MF Minolta except the XG line.

Craig

3. RobLewis

RobLewis Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like my Minolta X-700. I'm still learning this whole photography thing, but it serves me well.
    If you've sent in a modern Nikon AF for repairs- the metering on the minoltas will be less advanced than you're used to. But as long as you know the basics of when to add or minus a stop of exposure, you should be alright with the basic center-weighted meter.
    My only beef with the X-700- I've got big hands, and it feels a bit small. One of these days I'll spring for a winder to add some size.

Try www.keh.com- they've got a ton of minolta's for sale.
    Bien Suerte.

4. RobLewis

RobLewis Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    btw- whereabouts in NWI? I grew up in Hammond. Never too far from the da region.

5. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    different minolta mf dif strokes.

srt range for good solid cameras that will not die. Mercury battery phase out is a challenge that can be overcome by re-tuning a couple of potentiomenters with the bottom removed.

x700- it does it all for you if you wnat. Mine kept me going for almost 20yrs before I took it accidentally for a swim. I replaced it with an x-570. No fully automatic, but it gives you better information in the viewfinder when in fully manual mode, and still mounts the md1 motor drive that makes the camera much easier to hold on to (among other things) .

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I had one and brought one for my daughter to use in her photography class. I have had: SR-7, SRT-101, SRT102 and many Minolta lenses.

When my girl friend won a f/3.6 28mm to 300mm AF Zoom lens that she gave me, I switched to Nikon. The Minolta does not get used now because I recently was given a C330 with 65mm, 80mm and 250 mm lenses and I purchased a folding 120 camera. Therefore if I were to take all my equipment with me, I would lose even more of my height! :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

Steve

7. Andrew West

Andrew West Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just outside La Porte.

I was just looking at an XG9 the other night. Then I read somewhere that an XG made for a good student camera. That stopped that.

KEH has an XK BGN condition. It's $225, if memory serves.

8. RobLewis

RobLewis Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think a lot of the minoltas make for good student cameras.
    Don't want to turn you off to minolta- but I'm not sure they made a really 'high-end' manual, in the likes of Nikon F series. I could be wrong-

I've also got an XG-1, but not really designed for regular use in manual mode. The meter turns off when you manually set shutter speeds- so you have to take a reading in aperture priority mode, remember the shutter recommendation, then adjust the shutter speed accordingly. If all the XGs do this, I'd avoid them. But I don't know if they do or not.

Wow. La Porte. Not so close to Hammond. So I won't bother with the "do you know xxx..."

Cheers,

9. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As stated, the SRT's are tanks. The X700 is nice, but doesn't have shutter priority IRRC. The XD-11 fits all of your requirements, nicely, IMHO. Cheers.

10. RobLewis

RobLewis Member

Shooter:
    35mm

11. rosey

rosey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an extra X-570 like brand new. Has new seals and mirror bumper. Email me if interested. I just don't need two of 'em.

12. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Manual Minolta

Andrew, I highly recommend the XD cameras. the X-570 and the X-700 for more modern electronics. The XD-7 or XD-11 here in the States are truly wonderful cameras. AP for sure and I think you can shoot SP with the XD-11.

13. Karl K

Karl K Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The XD-11 was one of the best ever!

It actually was the first program 35 SLR, but Minolta never put the "P" mode on the dial. The Canon AE-1P stole its thunder, but the XD-11 was first. Just set it at the fastest speed and it automatically shot wide open on shutter speed priority with the lens set on the smallest (green) f/stop. The shutter speed would always be at the highest possible setting, according to the ISO and the prevailing light.

The XD-11 also has a non-electronic shutter speed (1/100th?) which worked great for flash or when the two button cells died. A great camera, wonderful bright focusing screen, and a "sleeper", IMHO.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. CGross

CGross Guest

16. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The SRT101 was my first real 35mm camera (except for a very short fling with a Miranda), so it is in some ways my sentimental favorite. But realistically, why put up with the hassle of battery issues (and I use hearing aid zinc airs all the time).

Then there's the X700, which may be the last good camera Minolta made, but even so it seems to have a greater than reasonable propensity to a diode failure. Fixable in some cases, but still a hassle.

So that leaves a number of OK models in the middle, plus a couple of standouts that others have mentioned - the XD and XE series. Both series were excellent so in my opinion it doesn't make sense to seek out other models.

You may happen across another model that catches your fancy. But if you are actively seeking/shopping, choose the XD series for features with reliability and the XE series for ruggedness.

17. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an XG-M that I have been using for 10 or more years and an srT101 that I picked cheap from eBay last year. I love them both. My XG-M is my family outing snapshooter and my srT101 is my slow down and take it more seriously body. I don't keep a battery in it so I rely on my Sekonic light meter.

18. ingobohn

ingobohn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recommend XD11 (XD7), because of its lovely release/shutter sound. Unfortunately the XD11 has no AEL lock.
    Alternatively, the X-570 would be worth thinking of. The release sound is much more crude in comparison to the XD11, but it has AEL lock and better viewfinder information in M-mode than X-700.

My personal favourite is the XM, but that is really "heavy metal" and sometimes to big and heavy to put it in the pocket.

19. ingobohn

ingobohn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  20. flashgumby

flashgumby Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As some others have already recommended - the XD11 (aka XD7) has both Shutter Priority and Aperture Priority, as well as Metered Manual.

And, yes, the X-sync speed of 1/100 is mechanical. Add to that a full metal body, TTL Centre-Weighted metering, DOF Preview and a PC connector and you shouldn't find yourself wanting much else.

If you want a fully mechanical model, IMHO you can't go past the SRT-102 (aka SRT-303, SRT-Super). This was a very well spec'd model and should be great value. For some reason (someone here may know?) the SRT-101 gets all the limelight in forums, but as far as I know the SRT-102 is basically the same camera with a couple of added features. Why it has largely remained unknown is anybody's guess, but you just might grab a bargain. They are built tough, and are a real sweet body.

If it were me, I'd hate to have to choose - I'd probably go for the XD11, but you might feel otherwise. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Happy hunting,
    Gordon.

21. Andrew West

Andrew West Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I want to thank everyone for the help; what I've received up until this point and, of course, all the advice I'm sure I'll be needing in the future.

I've narrowed down my choices (XD11/7, SRT 102, and the XK). The problem is that KEH, while they have an XD11 available, it's in UG condition. I also found an XK, but like I said before, it's in BGN condition for $225. They have the SRT 102, but I'd hate to choose a camera (or anything else) simply due to a lack of options.

Can anyone suggest another dealer (preferably one with which you've had some experience)?

22. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Collectable Camera at RITZCAM.COM has a number of MF bodies.

23. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have you never heard of eBay? :confused:

http://photography.listings.ebay.co...QfromZR11QQsacatZ43482QQsocmdZListingItemList

and, if you have your heart set on a SRT model, here's a narrowed down search:

http://photography.search.ebay.com/srt_Minolta_W0QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ43482QQssPageNameZWLRS

24. Andrew West

Andrew West Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've used eBay; out of the three or four auctions I've won, all but one worked out just fine. Yet, for whatever reason, I'm uncomfortable using it for this.

It looks like there are some great finds hidden in there.

25. CGross

CGross Guest

Andrew, I have bought a fair number of Minolta bodies off of *bay. And only a couple bodies had issues. Which wasn't a big deal because there are a number of very reputable repair shops out there that can still fix these things for a very reasonable price. My favorite is Garrys Camera Repair: http://www.garryscamerarepair.com/

With some searching you can find a really good deal.

26. Early Riser

Early Riser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I started out I used Minoltas. Srt 101, 102, XE-7 (leitz copal shutter) and the XK. My favorite of all of them was the XE-7. However if one is buying used, long discontinued cameras made by a comapny that no longer is in the camera business I would consider buying the one with the least and simplest electronics.

Gears can be made by any machinist, but if special chips or electrical components are no longer available, then the camera becomes useless.