Which new high speed film??

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mexipike, Feb 4, 2008.

1. mexipike

mexipike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Tomorrow I'm going to the store, and will be buying some new film. I need a at 1600 film (in 120) and was wondering if Delta 3200 (developed in Pyrocat HD, which I've heard is great) at 1600 would be better than tri-x pushed with Diafine,Xtol, or D76. Money is an issue, and I like the idea of having a film like tri-x that i can shoot anywhere from 200 - 1600. I mostly work in dark cantinas in Mexico with fairly normal contrast very low light. I'm not too considered about grain, shadow detail is nice but not that important either, accutance, however is important to me.

Thanks,
    John

2. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If shadow detail is not important and accutance is then I think you will be happier with Tri-x. Delta 3200 will give you better shadow detail at that speed but it isn't great for accutance.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you thought about the Rollei R3? It would fit into your EI-range, costs less and will have a rather high resolution at lower EIs at least .

4. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Comparing Tri-X to Delta 3200 is not a fair comparison. For extremely low light work, the Delta 3200 at EI 1600 will outperform pushed Tri-X in terms of shadow detail. Grain will be, as you'd expect, much more apparent, but that's the price you pay for the speed.

If you do decide to use Tri-X, then try developing the film in Diafine. I have not yet seen a developer that can deliver realistic exposure indices around 1250 with better shadow detail with this film. The developer itself is very economical to use, and has very good keeping qualities.

5. mexipike

mexipike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I went to the store today and I bought 3 rolls of Delta 3200 and 6 rolls of Tri-X. Tri-x is certainly a great tool at only 2.85 a roll and I figure I can always find something to use it for. I also bought some Diafine. So I'll start playing with those different combinations.
    Thanks,
    john

6. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Delta 3200 doesn't play well with Diafine, but Tri-X does. Delta 3200 is good with D-76, or XTOL. I've read that it also plays nicely with Microphen, and I have no reason to doubt that. I have not personally tried that combo myself.

7. mexipike

mexipike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I think I might try the Delta 3200 with Pyrocat HD at 1600.

8. Confusion Circle

Confusion Circle Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've shot HP5+ at 3200 and developed it in Rodinal, 1+25 for 17 minutes. I got good negs.

9. damoison

damoison Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    your combination:Delta 3200 with Pyrocat HD at 1600

Bonjour,
    I write you from Paris.
    What was the results of your combination:Delta 3200 with Pyrocat HD at 1600. ?
    I am very interested to have your reactions and see the pictures.

what dev. time you use ?
    you can see my website: http://tangophoto.net/members/ddamoison/ddamoison.html
    friendly

david

10. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Delta 3200 at EI 3200 in Rodinal 1:25 11 mins:
    [​IMG]

Very nice tone, good grain at the expense of a small amount of accutance.

11. Paul Verizzo

Paul Verizzo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like that "Lech Beer!" Certainly often the result of over consumption of almost any beer!