Which Nikon AF to purchase.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are two cameras up for grabs on the auction site.Both are from a highly regarded seller.One is a Nikon F65 the other a Nikon F5005.Both units are in great shape.
    I plan to pick up one as a Christmas gift for a friend of mine.Which one would be the best choice?

Thanks

2. r-brian

r-brian Member

The F65 is the newer model of the two, thus more advanced technology (better metering system) is built into it. I had a N60 or N65 (can't remember which one) that I bought for my wife. She used it basically as a P&S and it produced excellent photos.

3. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Buy the N90s that's currently in the APUG classifieds. It's an amazing camera and is only bested by my F5. I have 3 of them and have put a LOT of film through them. Excellent cameras and at $90 for a pristine one it's a steal.

4. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The main thing I miss with the N90s vs the F5 is the more accurate AF in the F5(smaller sensor area for each AF sensor) and the AF-on button.

The n90s is stellar, professional quality, a wicked metering system, and its around a pound lighter than the F5 too!

5. GrantR

GrantR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will second (or third) the N90s--I also have 3 of them! It is an incredible camera and cheap enough that if something devastating happens to it, it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to replace.

6. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Totally agree.My N90s is a fine shooter.It boils down to a matter of $$.

7. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There's nothing at-all wrong with the N65, but as many others have suggested, get a N90s. It's ALOT of "camera for the money".

8. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2009
  9. RMP-NikonPro

RMP-NikonPro Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mike, If your buying it for someone else the F65 is perfect, The F65 is the more user friendly for the beginner with it's Vari-program modes, And is technically more advanced than both the F5005 & F90, Plus It's has the same basic layout so that one can later progress up to a more advanced model (ie, F80, F100 of even the F6), Personally if you ever buy one for yourself I recommend the F100, (but only because of it's build quality!)

10. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mike, another place to get a good answer is the Nikonians web site. I have an F100, FE, F3HP, F3, D80, D300 blah blah. I recently asked a question about the best small body AF 35mm and many folks suggested the N/F65, 55 and 75.
    If the price is right then get it. You can't really go wrong. Obviously is is less than $100.00. Plus if you are not happy you can always resell it and recoup some of your money...

11. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My first AF camera was a F80 (or N80 as it's known in the US), I think it is perfect for both beginners and general photography. The two dials makes it a lot more user friendly than the older MF cameras (which I use now :wink: ), and the meter and VF display is really good, e.g. you see how much underexposed an area is, not just an '-'. TTL flash metering is a feature I have started appreciating more and more.

However, I still find myself reaching for the FM2 or my yashica or some other camera if I'm shooting 35mm, the F80 is just lying in a box remembering its better days. Shame really. I ought to sell it, but it's rather impossible to get rid of at a, to me, fair price.

12. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the F80 too- easy to use-solid but fairly lightweight/compact.