WHICH PHOTO GALLERY SOFTWARE FOR PERSONAL WEB SITE?

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Terrance Hounsell, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Terrance Hounsell

Terrance Hounsell Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am in the process of developing my own web site (with the help of a more computer savy friend) and I would like to use some sort of "GALLERY" software whereby I could go into the site and add or delete my images easily without having to go to a web site designer every time.

I have been looking at software by Pixitivity:
    http://www.tivity.com/pixtivity/pixtivity_releasing_soon.cfm#
    but the release is a long time coming and being new there won't be any feedback about how well it works any time soon either.

So I would like to ask for help in choosing some software appropriate for managing a photo gallery on the net.

I am primarily a large format photographer and don't need a fancy site just something appropriate for black and white landscape photographs.

Thanks in advance for your help, Terrance

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't to forget to have it hosted by Apug :D

Shameless plug.

3. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not sure if such software is available... ?

Perhaps you could just use standard website "construction" software. While there is a learning curve for making complicated sites it is quite easy to build your own using off the shelf standard software.

If you have a Mac use Go Live made by Adobe and use Fetch (free software) to upload new material).

http://www.pervolquartz.com

- built using Go Live...

4. kaiyen

kaiyen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you mean you want something that you install yourself on our site? What about gallery? Or coppermine? Both are pretty popular, have a strong user base and are configurable.

Or, you can go with something like smugmug. People customize the heck out of that on a regular basis.

allan

5. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have a lot of experience with available packages because I built my own but there is a company that offers some very nice web site templates. http://www.vervelabs.com/welcome.php

Regards,
    Bill

6. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There are a number of programs that will do this for you - Microsoft FrontPage, Adobe Photoshop CS2, even Adobe Photoshop Album has rudimentary web publishing. Additionally, most hosting services have some type of webstarter program as well.

If you are on Windows, FrontPage is probably the best. Most hosting services offer FrontPage extensions, which is a method for publishing you site. Much easier than using third-party software to copy it.

Being a programmer, I did my own. It was written in VB.NET, sitting on a Microsoft SQL Server database.

If you are interested, I have an article on my website on just this subject. You can find it at: http://www.visionlandscapes.com/ArticlesTips.aspx?Article=8

7. Terrance Hounsell

Terrance Hounsell Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm looking to build a stand alone site that can exhibit and advertise monochrome fine art landscape photographs and misc. photographic services for sale.

8. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If you're a Macintosh user, try iWeb. It's part of the new iLife '06 software suite. Very easy to use, but limited. You could have a personal site up the same day you get the software.

9. Derek Lofgreen

Derek Lofgreen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would recommend using Dreamweaver. It's latest version has a wonderful gallery extension available. It will produce galleries like the ones pixtivity will. I would recommend hiring a professional designer if you can afford it. I can't tell you how many really good photographers out there trying to sell there work have the ugliest web sites. Think of your site as the frame around your photos. The better looking the site is the better your photos look.

Just my thoughts.
    D.

10. jeffneedham

jeffneedham Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    check out the features on photoshop cs2. you can "make" a flash gallery in minutes.

11. Terrance Hounsell

Terrance Hounsell Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just looked at your site, simple and effective, was it done with CS2?

12. darr

darr Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Derek Lofgreen

Derek Lofgreen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just came across this one http://www.cssplay.co.uk/. It seems pretty nice but you will need to brush up on css and a little html (but not much). I liked it.

D.

14. jeffneedham

jeffneedham Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

Thanks. It is a work in progress. Five minutes of work, maximum, per gallery.

15. PaulH

PaulH Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You could check out Gallery2 at this web site.

http://gallery.menalto.com/

It is free open source gallery program that they claim is easily modified to fit right into your website.

I've been sort of tinkering with it for a while and I think it has some promise.

At least it's free.

Paul