Which photographer would you choose?

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by severian, Dec 19, 2006.

1. severian

severian Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    While I was in grad school in the mid 80's I reluctantly became in charge of the visiting artist program. I was the grad student representative. My job was to help select visiting artists for the various art disciplines. The job of the visiting artist was to exhibit work, to give a gallery talk, to interact with graduate students and to generally allow a bit of themselves to rub off. I was, at first, not enthusiastic about this increased responsibility but slowly I saw it as a golden opportunity. When the time came to select a visiting photographic artist I made the choice without consulting any other grad students. I chose Emmet Gowin. It was a very selfish choice. My reason was quite simple. I wanted to see his prints. Reproductions just didn't do it. I also wanted to see him working in the darkroom and using his "contour printing mask". My selection was, to put it mildly, not popular. "He's too conservative" "He's too apolitical" He's too non- conceptual". The objections went on and on. I stood my ground. I didn't make any friends in the program when I told them that the real reason they did not want Gowin was because they were afraid of him. I said that they feared him because when they looked at his work they realized how good it was and they knew they were not willing to pay the price to become this accomplished (grist for another thread?).
    Anyway, after much haggling Gowin did accept the offer made by the University and fulfilled all the obligations. I had accomplished all of my objectives and the other students became completely satisfied and in fact charmed by him.
    My question, if you were King or Queen and could make the same decision I did, which living photographer would you pick and why?

Severian, Autarch of Urth, Journeyman in the Society of the Seekers of Truth and Penitience , aka Jack B

2. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Salgado

3. mark

mark Member

We had a visiting artist at the school I worked at for the past five years. He showed up the first day and has not left. He got his teaching certificate because he had no idea how much he loved teaching. He takes time off every so often to set up a public sculpture, or finish and deliver a painting. Teaching is his hobby and does not pay his bills. His impact on the students will probably not be noticed by them for a few years but what he does in the classroom is amazing.

I would want a real hands on alt photographer. Someone with a range of abilities and the ability to communicate. I also don't want someone who is "famous". Kerik springs to mind. Or Sandy King, but his expertise might shoot right over our seventh graders' heads. Hell, personal hygene shoots over many a seventh grader's head.

4. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cheryl Jacobs Nicolai.

5. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Conservative? Apolitical? Non-Conceptual? If anything, he is the opposite of all these epithets, at least from what I can judge out of his pictures on the net. Thanks for making me discover a great artist!

But back to the original question: I guess it depends what university I would rule. I don't think NYU people would be impressed anymore by Stephen Shore, but I can see him being a good influence on a smaller town's community college students.

6. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Paul Caponigro without a doubt.

Best,

Will

7. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Had you asked this question two days ago, I'd have said Ruth Bernhard, but only if I could have turned the clock back about 20 years so she'd still be lucid, and capable of doing a darkroom demo. Since she is no longer with us, unfortunately, I'll have to punt for another option.

8. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wish I'd been a student there when you had Emmet Gowin!

Nowadays... Andrea Modica. I've done a workshop with her, and recently went to a lecture she gave in Boston, but would love to see her at work, and making her platinum prints.

9. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think Gowin was an intelligent decision on your part.

10. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... caught my punt. I'd have John Dugdale come and present. Not only because I admire his work, but because I admire his courage as a person and his character. He lives honestly and openly with his HIV disease, and his impending blindness, and while it certainly impacts his work, he doesn't make a bunch of 'oh-woe-is-me' art either. I found it incredibly inspiring to sit and talk with him for two days, and hear and see how much artistic energy comes out of a man and finds expression with a Deardorff studio 8x10 on a studio stand when he has less than 5% vision in only one eye, and about 75% hearing in only one ear. And now he's working on a series of 20x24 albumen prints!

11. Christopher Colley

Christopher Colley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Henry Fox Talbot

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If Henry Fox Talbot is a living photographer, he must be really, really old by now:wink:

Matt

13. Christopher Colley

Christopher Colley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    he lives!

but I guess my reading skills dont

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't think I could limit myself to one. I have had the pleasure to meet many wonderful photographers and not all of them known. Its the dialog I enjoy the best with all. Either here on APUG or through email or by calling.
    Almost all have openned their homes, shared their work and thoughts on photography. That is the best way of education for me.
    Happy Holidays to you all.

16. Charles Webb

Charles Webb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To my way of thinking John Sexton would do quite well in all categories mentioned.

Charlie..............................

17. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I would have to say either Kerik or Michael Kenna.

18. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd love to invite George Tice. What I think would make him such a worthy visiting artist is his gift for finding the special in the close to home, and everyday. That kind of gift is inspiring and would likely impart to students the motivation to look with renewed intensity at their immediate environment. Plus the fact that he's accessible and makes gorgeous prints (like Caponigro cited above). Of course, with all that going for him, other faculty would probably object because they'd be hard pressed to spin a fabric of art-speak theoretical kaka about what he does.......oh well! (I still want to be king though...okay?)

19. noblebeast

noblebeast Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not meant to blow smoke up his butt, but I would pick our own Sam Portera. Not only does he demonstrate fine mechanical skills in both large and small format as well as producing terrific prints, but he could teach the students something about persevering through adversity, and finding catharsis through the creation of art.

Joe

20. jamie

jamie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jeff Wall would be pretty interesting. However, it could get kinda tricky exhibiting the most interesting parts of his work. I mean..those lighboxes are huge!

21. highpeak

highpeak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd like choose "Early Riser".

If I am a King in the fantasy world, I'd like to wake up Wynn Bullock, he is my favorite.

Alex W.

22. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Back in the 80's, when you had to make the choice, I would've chosen Frederick Sommer. Today, I would choose Hiroshi Sugimoto.

23. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    As long as we're talking about anybody, even those who wouldn't ever come, I'll nominate Don McCullin.
    Neal

24. wheelygirl

wheelygirl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Which photographer. . .?

Since I'm still abit of a newbie, and only recently began discovering the more well-known "pitcher-takers", though she has passed, I'd nominate Diane Arbus.
    Personally, I'd love to capture more unique folks, like she had. Her daughter, Amy, isn't 1/2 bad either.:smile:

25. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    APUG's jnanian.

I think he'd light a fire of creativity under the students asses. He'd open whole new worlds of exploration. He'd shake them out of their expectations of themselves, and their photography.

Just what students need before they fall into ruts so deep they can't crawl out.

Murray

26. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Our Donald L. Miller would be my choice!

Cheers

André