Which Scanner for APUG

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by ronlamarsh, Jan 4, 2010.

1. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't mean to be an apostate here but I'd like to post some images to APUG but my present scanner is less than adequate can anyone recommend a decent scanner for less than $500? forgot to mention it needs to do black and white well.

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very careful with these questions. However, in short, I have a dinky Canoscan flatbed that is more than adequate.

3. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've got an Epson V700, and have also used another V700, with great results in both black-and-white and color. I've used this model scanner for everything from scanning prints for restoration to 35mm slides and negatives all the way up to 8x10 and even 7x17 (the method I used for the pano work is outside the scope of APUG entirely). I use Silverfast scanning software. The results are excellent, and in fact I scanned most of John Scarlata's work for his upcoming retrospective show at East Carolina University with this scanner.

There is a very similar model, the V750; the only difference that I am aware of between the two is that the V750 offers a wet mount option... both of these are beyond your stated price point BUT Epson has a new scanner out called the V500, for around $200. I would assume the performance is similar since the resolution (but not the DMax) is the same. The V500 transparency adapter doesn't work with larger than medium format negatives. If you look around you might find a V700 for $500.

PS - I realize this is not really appropriate for APUG... sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
  4. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a canoscan Lide 600F for scanning prints for upload to APUG. It also has a neg scanning attachment, but to be honest thats crap. But the scanner is dirt cheap and it runs off a USB port, so you don't need an extra power point. If you look in my gallery all uploads for the last two years were scnned on the Canoscan, so you can get an idea of quality.

5. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Aw...Jeeez! We are NOT going to talk about scanners...are we...not here...PLEASE! Take it some place else. There are a hundred thousand other internet fora where this would be appropriate...please....not here.

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Questions about scanning for the purpose of posting to the APUG galleries is on topic, so no problem here.

I use a DSLR on a copy stand for this purpose myself, with lights for prints and a lightbox for negs and transparencies. It's straightforward copy work just like with a film camera.

7. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    This question has been asked and answered before on APUG. The short answer is that any modern, inexpenive scanner is perfectly adequate for posting images on APUG, especially from prints. I bought an Epson 4490 on Epson.com refurb'd for about $90 and it works for 35mm to 120 film and all flat art to about 9x12". Even the really crappy scanner on my new HP Deskjet All-in-one has enough resolution and dmax for web images. What about your current scanner isn't working for you?

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darkroom, backlit copy table (only need backlighting if you want to shoot film, not prints), cheap old low-rez DSLR (such as Canon D30), macro lens or bellows, lens hood, Home Despot work lights, and polarizing filter. It is a very relatively inexpensive and high quality way to go that will never become outdated or break or become drastically surpassed in quality like a scanner. Need better quality some day? Just get a better camera some day. The potential quality really comes down to the quality of the lens you pick. I am a fan of the Canon EF 50mm f/2.5, personally, using it for probably 80 percent of my "for-pay" shooting. If you shoot Nikon, I am sure they have an equivalent that is just as good or better.

9. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wait, David uses a d - ddd - dd - d - d -dddd - d. SEANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;p

10. Brandon D.

Brandon D. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Epson just released the NEW v600:
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=63084673

It keeps you well under budget, but you may want to factor in costs for helpful accessories like glass negative carriers or maybe even third party scanning software (i.e., I use Silverfast Ai but it's not cheap).

PS - Or, you could simply choose to appease all of the "anti-scanner" members by mailing every single APUGer framed prints of every image in your portfolio, :D.

11. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David, you just broke my heart…

:wink:

12. kauffman v36

kauffman v36 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i use a canoscan 8800f i got to scan negatives and prints for 160 on newegg i believe about 3 months ago. wonderful scanner for the price. and all i scan is black and white.

13. photovestad

photovestad Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Epson V500 works fine for me. At least it did until I decided 4x5 would be fun. Now I'm panostitching my larger negs which is less than satisfactory. The new V600 seems to be similarly restricted to maximum MF negs. So, the moral of the story is, if there's even the faintest chance that you'll want to scan transparencies larger than MF, spend the extra for a V700.

14. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pages that I click on like the above Epson.com site are coming up in a small triangle, what happened and how do I fix it? I use Windows XP.

Back to topic:
    Oh, that v600 doesn't cover sizes over medium format right? I'd like to post some 5x7 and up, I could do the David technique and have but scanning would be better. Maybe I'll save for a better one. I have a Canoscanner 1200 something, but it's slow and doesn't do negs and slides.

Canoscan N1220U LIDE

15. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hey, on the other side, I sold off or gave away my scanners. I just didn't have room for all those digigizmos, and working carefully, the DSLR does the job (as for what "working carefully" means, I posted about that over on hybridphoto.com). The darkroom is all still there, and by getting rid of the flatbed, I gained a table just for the Adams Retouching Machine.

16. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe Sean has it configured so that you can't access digital equipment sites from APUG... :surprised:

17. Necator

Necator Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canoscan 8800F works well with both 135 and 120 negatives, as well as doing a good job with prints. It provided me with a way into B&W photography, as I do not have a darkroom, just a changning bag and some development tanks.

18. Randy_Va

Randy_Va Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow, this is such a great idea that I feel a bit daft for not thinking of it (especially as I will hopefully have some 4x5 negatives soon and was stumped as to how to get them online for suggestions for improvement).

19. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    On a related note, I have a 4x5 slide duplicator, can't remember the make (Chroma-something). It's basically a color enlarger in reverse. It's really massive, in two pieces (the base with light source, film holder, and color filter dials, and a bellows rail with a t-thread mount on one end and39mm threads on the other). It's in storage. I don't have a lens that works - my old 50mm and 75mm enlarger lenses fit but their aperture rings are recessed to the point that I can't adjust them without removing them, and the bellows track needs some work (it seems to get stuck when focusing). I'd love to use this for copying slides but I have no idea how to repair it nor what lens to use.

20. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank You

Thank You David,

I'll give my wifes D70 a whirl, however file size etc can be an issue so I'll have to learn how to change her settings then retore it or she'll skin my alive.

21. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Odds are, since you have the "technology that shall not be spoken of" in house, that you have some sort of photo editor on a computer that can easily downsize the file in "post processing" and eliminate the need to alter camera settings. I shoot the most mundane trivia in max resolution, raw mode "just in case."

22. Dave in Kansas

Dave in Kansas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This thread may be considered off topic by some, but I'm still glad it was posted. This has been going through my mind for some time since I have 4 x 5 film and a lot of old negatives of unknown format larger than 120. My one and only scanner went into the trash several years ago. Mr. Goldfarb's solution sounds like the way to go, and something I would not have thought of on my own. Certainly more cost effective than a V700.

Thanks much, David. You just saved me a bunch that I can now spend on more film.

Dave

23. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I did this too.

Steve

24. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine too! I was so upset by that post that I tossed my cookies!

25. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    From time to time I end thinking about a scanner. For 35mm, I seen those new plusteks that seem interesting but...
    "Hmm, well, I could use negative film more, B&W as well, and having a way to see the photos without a darkroom, but, since I may use more slide, then It's only purpose would be share and maybe some prints... But $200, that's a small pile of film and it's processing... And in a few years the model gets replaced"
    So I end: "Bah, forget it! I may buy it when I have a nice archive"

For prints, I think that any flatbed can do decent scans. Some will be noisy (like my all in one printer) but useable for not too big sizes. For film, that's different. They say the Epsons are nice enough

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2010