Which will you choose

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by yashica92, Mar 15, 2014.

1. yashica92

yashica92 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I have a choice between two ca
    mera , Mamiya RB67 & Mamiya M645 , if u r me , which will u choose ?

2. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you need to shoot handheld?

-NT

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Years ago I made this choice and went for an M645 system purely because of ease of use hand-held, I was happy with the quality of 645 negatives and never regretted the decision.

Ian

4. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Larger negative vs. weight/size.

I like size and don't mind weight, so I would go for the larger negative size.
    Hold both cameras and check how it feels. And if money is a factor, check what extra lenses, film backs, etc. will cost.
    Andmaybe more important: what lenses are available and what system has the best lenses?

Ask yourself what you're going use it for. Indoor - outdoor, project - vacation, ... Then ask yourself if it would be easier to have a smaller camera or larger negatives.
    And what size of negatives can you print yourself in your darkroom (or scan) at home?

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl

5. micwag2

micwag2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I chose the RB67 because no batteries. If 6x4.5 is desireable, i switch the back. An M645 is only 6x4.5 as far as i know. Although a good point has been made about shooting hand held. The RB67 is heavy. I have the hand grip, prizm view finder, and have used mine hand held. Wouldn't want it around my neck all day, that's for sure.

6. yashica92

yashica92 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Yes , I shot handheld , outdoor and vacation

7. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I currently shoot both systems, RB67 and Mamiya 645 1000s

The RB feels like a 3 ton studio camera (and it is). It has a huge negative, rotating back, you can change backs mid-roll, lenses for it are relatively cheap and cocking the shutter feels like sliding the lever on a bolt-action rifle. The shutters are in the lenses and are leaf shutters, which synch flash at all speeds. If you get one, be prepared to be asked a LOT of questions if you're shooting in the field with it. People are always asking me about it. It becomes slightly-less awkward with an auxiliary flash like a Metz CT45, sometimes I carry it just to make it easier to handhold. Otherwise, it is my go-to film camera when I don't feel like lugging 60lb of large format equipment.

The 645 has a few advantages too. It's lighter, feels more like a traditional SLR, has fewer light seals, faster lenses with a 1.9 option, focal plane shutter built into the body, the lenses can be adapted to d*****l if you're into that sort of thing and it feels more comfortable in the hands. It still produces a negative vastly superior to 35mm. It also has the option for a d*****l back depending on which 645 model you get. The lenses for it are top notch and you get a few more shots per roll of film.

I find myself reaching for the RB more but I love both systems. They both produce wonderful results and the lenses on both systems are tack sharp, right up there with my Canon L lenses.

If you want the big 6x7 negative but not the awkward feel of the RB you should consider the Fuji GW670 or similar rangefinder cameras. I believe the Mamiya 7 is 6x7 as well and has interchangeable lenses.

The big question has to be "is the size and weight of the RB worth the increased negative size over the 645?"

Absolutely.

8. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an optech padded strap on my M645 with prism finder. It's just about OK to lug it around all day if we're out walking. I certainly wouldn't want anything heavier. I also shoot 6x6 using a nettar and yash TLR. I can't really say that I feel that I am losing much on 645. Of course 6x7 is that much bigger again. Horses for courses, but I find M645 a good compromise when I want SLR. Lightweight in MF, that Nettar takes some beating though!

9. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you want to bring the camera on vacation then I would suggest the M645, because it's smaller and lighter.

You will need a large and heavy bag to bring the RB67 with some lenses.

10. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had my m645AF around my neck hiking all day with a single 35 or 45mm lens, no problems.
    Tried the same with the Kiev88, and no go. The 67 is even bigger and heavier than that.
    The worst thing about the 645 is actually taking portraits, there's a recipe for wrist strain right there. The rotating back on the 67 has its advantages there.
    For travelling and hiking, I think 645 is a no brainer, unless you want more exercise.
    Even smaller and lighter again are the folding and rangefinder 67 and 69 cameras like Fujis, but they're a lot more expensive (probably because they're more popular with people who want the portability).
    The lenses for both are great, and most MF is cheap as all hell these days. 645 chews less film too, and unless you want to print 16x20 and up you probably won't see the difference...

11. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both the RB and M645.
    I have no problems taking the M645 on vacation with a couple of lenses but the RB is just to big and heavy to lug around for long and it only leaves the house for occasional walks etc. I use the RB mainly for still life.

So, I would go with the M645 if you need a take it with you system but I would get the RB if you need more of a studio camera.

12. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Mamiya M645 when I need a larger negative (for large prints) and still want the smallness of a 35mm slr., like taking photos when in a small plane.

13. Bigdaddyg

Bigdaddyg Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Rz67 is lighter than the RB and has some advantages. IMO one of the best cameras ever made. I have a 645 and a rz. I can't remember the last time I shot the 645

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. analoguey

analoguey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RB67.
    Heavier - means even at 1/30 feels good, little shake.
    Lenses sync w flash at full speeds - and rotating backs.
    Plus fully manual which means repairs easier and not dependent on electronics being current.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [h=2]Which will you choose[/h]I will always choose Hasselblad.

17. yashica92

yashica92 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Hasselblad already out of my budget

18. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    At one time I owned both an RZ67 and a Pentax 645Nll. I used the RZ on a tripod with studio lights and shot the Pentax hand held. I enjoyed both cameras for shooting people. Now in medium format I just own a Hasselblad 500/CM but I like square photographs.

If you like square and a Blad is over budget, Bronica 6x6 cameras are real nice.

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which version of the Mamiya 645 bodies are you considering? If it is a Super, Pro or Pro-Tl, it offers interchangeable backs.

The 6x4.5 SLRs are much more usable with a prism finder, so the question becomes which finder is included?

20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but the question is "What would you choose?" So I answered it. If you save a bit longer then you can buy a Hasselblad with a lens knowing that you will have to wait longer for the next lens than you would have for another choice. That said, consider the other recommendations, but before you buy a camera get one in your hands to be sure that the camera will work for you. You will be using the camera and you need to be comfortable handling whatever camera you buy.

Handling the camera validates your choice, no one can tell you what is right for you.

21. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RB67 ProSD.
    Albeit a heavy beast, they work well, provide a big image, and the revolving back eliminates rotating the camera for vertical - horizontal changes.
    No hand held usage for me, always on tripod.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
  22. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I made this choice, I went with the RB67 over the 645 because of the larger negative and the fact that I mainly intended to use the camera on a tripod.

23. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I owned a Mamiya brand left hand grip with built in shutter release and cold shoe for flash for my RZ. I really liked it. There is one out there made for the RB too. You may want this, especially if you shoot hand held. It makes the camera a whole lot easier to handle.

24. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought the RB67 for the larger negative.

Jeff

25. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you shoot handheld get the 645.....personally, I'd look at both the Pentax and Mamiya 645. I think the Pentax is easier to hand hold with the grip, but the Mamiya is smaller. The quality of the image isn't all that different from the 6x7 unless you print pretty big.

26. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So to speak...