While Ilford Soars, (Just released)

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by RattyMouse, Oct 31, 2012.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [moderated]

"ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) -- Eastman Kodak's losses widened to $312 million in the third quarter as the photo and printing company struggles to emerge from bankruptcy protection.

The loss reported late Tuesday compares to a loss of $222 million at the same time last year.

Revenue for the three-month stretch ending in September totaled $1 billion. That's a 19 percent decrease decline from last year."

I guess all is well though:

"The actions we are taking in response to economic and market conditions are working and will position us to emerge in 2013 as a growing, profitable, sustainable company," Kodak CEO Antonio Perez said in a statement.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
  2. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wish I could lose that much and still be positive.

3. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :laugh:

4. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm!

I find this little segment from the Kodak website very interesting -

"...Film, Photofinishing and Entertainment Group third-quarter sales were $389 million, a 10% decline from the year-ago quarter, driven by continuing industry-related volume declines. Third-quarter earnings from operations for the segment were $15 million, compared with earnings of $28 million in the year-ago period. This decrease in earnings was primarily driven by significantly increased raw material costs, particularly silver, and industry-related declines in volumes, largely offset by cost reductions and price actions across the segment..."

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying, it does not seem that Kodak is making a whole lot of extra money of their film production. :sad:

Ah well, at least Ilford is still keeping their heads above water.

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well then buy Kodak film!! Remember Kodak is an American business and supporting American business helps the American economy.

6. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd buy Plus-X occasionally if they put it on sheets and 120. I don't like TMAX films and I prefer an ISO 400 film over 320, so I don't use Tri-X in sheets, either. I will, however, be buying Tri-X to put in my daughter's 35mm camera, so there's that.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In that quarter how much was paid to the Executives like Perez, they get bonuses while the company sinks. That's US style Capitalism :D

In other countries it's fraud.

Ian

8. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Geez. I'm buying Kodak film as fast as I can but somebody has got to step up and help pretty soon!!

9. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And sadly, therein lies the biggest problem with buying Kodak film.

:sad:

Ken

(Sorry, I don't have the heart to say it...)

10. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you really that sure about that?? Based on public records the guys on your side of the pond are getting paid pretty well too. Not that I am all in favor of the executive packages being paid to Kodak execs either, but those that have control tend to get paid no matter where you're from. Fraud is only fraud when you get charged, and not always then.

We Americans do enjoy our fraudulent activities...but we certainly are not the only ones. But one advantage is that we eventually catch up to them and charge them. And then publicize it for everyone to read about. That is not true everywhere in the world.

11. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I always thought that Kodak's profits from film were vastly overstated here. Especially when you remove motion picture film from the equation. It just doesnt appear that Kodak has downsized their operation enough to be able to do film profitably without a heavy subsidy from MP film. Since MP film is clearly still in decline, that is a big problem.

12. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best buy me some more Tmax 400 and a few more bottle of HC-110....

13. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    In so many ways... :sad: :sad: :sad:

(I really don't want to say it either)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From what I've read here and there it was my understanding that the photographic film industry had reached some stabilization and that there was somewhat of a turn around in interest by the public with some increases in demand. Wasn't that in the Photokina report I read here recently? If so, either Kodak can't monopolize on the trending or the third quarter earnings are as good as it gets. Still, they're definitely not Ilford who seems to want to interact with those shooting film as well as bring out new product in the form of a pinhole camera. So I guess Ilford knows how to market and Kodak has their head in a dark place. Was Kodak at Photokina btw? The funny thing is, Kodak could have bought a silver mine with all the money they had at one time.

16. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well wherever their head is, it sure isn't in a darkroom (or a dark room either). :sad: They already discontinued any of their color products that I shot, so it's Fuji and Agfa/Rollei for me for color. B&W is Kodak and Ilford at the moment.

17. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would support Kodak 100% if they still made stuff I wanted. As it stands, they discontinued one of my favorite films in the size in which I use it...and so they don't get my business anymore. If they discontinue Tri-X 400 in 35mm and 120 ever, I'll end up stopping buying altogether.

I hate it that they discontinued a classic emulsion. I LOVE PLUS-X. It is one of the best films *ever made*. Ugh.

18. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I have no idea what the OP has posted because he is on my ignore list ( only one ) but I can say that from what I have read so far none of this is surprising. And that said, I love the products I use from both Kodak and Ilford, just keep in making great images, awesome print sales, ba-da-boom, you know?

So some of you can just keep beating the same old steaming turds this guy leaves you into the ground, I am going to keep making what matters, photographs on Kodak and Ilford film...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
  19. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry Stephanie...

:sad:

Ken

20. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As long as FP4 is still available, I'll move on. But I'll cry a little. I didn't know it was actually discontinued until today since I've been out of the loop for so long.

21. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know...

I remember you from your previous presence here. And I've seen from your new posts (and signature line) how excited you are to get back into it. I just didn't want to be the one to pass along the bad news.

I used Plus-X for decades myself, and Ilford FP4+ is a fine replacement. I'm using it in a new 6x7 camera I purchased and that combination will be the basis of my submission to the current round of the Blind Print Exchange.

Welcome back.

:smile:

Ken

22. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, yeah that is a bummer, happened to me with Kodachrome 25 back in 2004. I have to say that sometimes it is better to be out of the loop and off the Internet for sure. I know you don't like the Tmax products and they are an acquired taste, especially the 100, but FP4 is a good film too and I am pretty confident it will stick around.

23. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1. But mostly (post-Kodachrome/post-Ektachrome) Ilford products. While I would love to offer more support to the folks at EK, the company has - Tri-X excepted - discontinued every other Kodak product I have ever used! :sad:

24. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure the decline in film related revenues is mostly due to motion picture print materials - the digitization of theatres has accelerated tremendously in the last year.

It would be really interesting to know what the still film and paper and chemistry numbers are, but I'm sure we never will.

25. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There was a statement from the consumer division in the Summer indicating sales were up slightly. However that's overshadowed by larger declines in sales of movie film.

Ian

26. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If Kodak was a profitable business, I'd understand your sentiment. Given that they lost triple digit millions, a 15 million profit in one segment doesn't look bad .... please tell me again what they want to achieve in their "digital future".