white lines on edge of prints-ideas?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Alan Barton, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Alan Barton

Alan Barton Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Occasionally I get a thin, unsharp, line on one edge of my 8x10 contact prints. This corresponds to a denser line on the negative. It is about 1/4in from the edge of the image. It is on the edge where the dark slide is removed. Usually occurs when in bright light-skies of course- and is not always on images associated with the same holders. Is this coming from declining light trap performance in the holders (they are all less than 10 years old, Fidelity plastic) or from incorrect seating of the holders in the camera back (Canham camera) or are there other potential causes?

2. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It can be reflection off the edge of the film holder? I've never understood why they make them in nice shiny plastic.

3. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have seen this on some of my sheets as well. Except mine was not a 1/4" in from the edge of the image; it is about 1/16" in from the edge of the image and about 1/4" in from the edge of the film. It is obvious that it is some kind of light leak but at 1/16" it's easy to deal with in the enlarger at this time. I keep an eye on it and if it appears to be getting worse, I'll replace the holder.

4. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think you have already identified the most likely candidates. Some time spent in a dark room with your head in the front standard, and a friend with a flashlight back by the holder might be in order.