White marks at my first roll

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Fellipe de Paula, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Fellipe de Paula

Fellipe de Paula Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Just received from the lab (for scanning) my fisrt roll I developed 2 days ago... I really like the results (d76 - delta100) but I notice some white marks on the final image...

What are these?

Attached Files:

2. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I suspect it is dust or dirt which entered the emulsion while the film was wet. Try dusting the negs; even using film cleaner. If I am wrong, you are in good shape.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes as John say that's called dust. Scanning or printing with a condenser enlarger tends to really pick then up/out and there's not a lot you can do except *** can't say but the software has tools ***.

If you print or s*** the images yourself you can use a camel hair brush or similar and visually check/clean/re-check to minimise dust particles. But as soon as someone else is involved things change

Ian

4. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian you can say "scan" here. It's getting a bit ridiculous when we're self-censoring words.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a can of compressed air to blow the dust off the negatives and the flat bed before scanning.

We can say scanning when we are talking about using a scanner to show samples of film for discussion. We cannot get into long discussions about digital methods or workflow in APUG. There are better places for that, like the sister site.

Steve