White Sands, Brett Weston

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews & Shows' started by matt miller, Jun 3, 2006.

1. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received my copy of the White Sands, Brett Weston book by Lodima yesterday. I spent a bit of time today enjoying it. The book is very well done. There's an essay in the front of the book about Brett, written by Nancy Newhall, that's just wonderful. I've never been too familiar with Brett Weston's work, but the more I see of it, the more in awe I am. I look forward to the day I can see some of his real prints.

This is a great book that I reccomend highly.

Just an observation: Most of the images are from his 8x10 contact prints. There are two from the 70's that were done from 2-1/4. They appear surprisingly soft compared to his contact prints.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll have to be watching for the postwoman!

3. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got my copy yesterday...Excellent! I subscribed for the 19 volume series in softcover. The first volume, San Francisco, was also very good. I look forward to seeing each book.

--John

4. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    FANTASTIC! I'm subscribed to the hardcover version and I cannot wait to get home to see it!

If you have never seen any of Brett's prints in real life, I highly suggest doing so. The reproductions in the book almost match the original prints, however seeing the real prints is so much better. I personally own a few of Brett's prints and look forward to the day when I see them published in one of the portfolio books!

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

5. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I received my copy a few days ago. I think that you are going to be quite happy Ryan.

The photos in "White Sands span 30 years. While one can certainly see the differences, it is the similarities that most intrigue me. Weston had been practicing his art for more than 20 years when he shot the earliest of these. But, they share a look that dates back to his first metal roof shots in Mexico.

Here is what I wrote to MAS last week when I had time to see the book:

"I just received "White Sands" to say that I am pleased is an understatement. I opened the box right after dinner and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I guess we go through life seeing the normal so often that it can take the extraordinary to shock us out of our malaise. The book, the photos, they are extraordinary. "

6. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From an article at CountPunch.org:

7. skillian

skillian Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't think the paragraph you copied from CountPunch.org accurately portrays the BW Archives. They do some wonderful work including organizing exhibits and licensing Brett's work for various publishing projects. They also helped make possible some of the recent books on Brett including Dunes and the very Lodima series that started this thread. They've also made generous donations of prints to museums. It was Erica's decision to sell her father's work so that this Archive could be created and maintained for the benefit of others. Without knowing all the facts that went into her decision, I take at face value that it was a good one. Personally, I value the fact that I can see Brett's work in books and public collections. If they had been sold off to private collectors over time, many of us wouldn't have had the opportunity to study the work from this great (and often unappreciated master).

8. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I'm with Scott on this one. Museums such as The Center Of Creative Photography, (which houses the large photography archive in the world, include tons of Brett Weston's prints) are very important to preserving the history of photography. They make it possible for those photographers work to live on, long after they have passed on. Places such as the CCP in Tucson, AZ let individuals come in a few the collection as well!

The other side of me wishes that 10,000 extra Brett Weston prints were out in circulating in the photography market, because then maybe some of us could afford to own them. However, they are in much better hands being in a muesum, even if they do sit in boxes for many years at a time.

9. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An interesting dichotomy about Brett: he said on numerous occasions how he placed more value on the opinions of a bricklayer than a curator, etc.; yet by burning his negatives he ensured that only wealthy museums & collectors could afford his prints. Personally, though, I'd rather have the Lodima series than a couple of his originals - I'll get better idea of his treatment of a range of subject matter.

10. skillian

skillian Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Other than Holland Canal, Garrapata Beach and his portfolios, Brett's prints are actually quite affordable. He was extremely prolific - photographing almost every day of his life for 50+ years and he usually only produced a few prints of each negative so the vast majority of his work has never been seen by the public. I suppose the sheer volume of his work has helped to keep prices down. Unlike his father, Adams and others whose legacies are frequently defined by a handful of marquee images, I admire the fact that Brett hasn't been pigeonholed that way. Aside from his wonderful eye, his work ethic and the way he lived his life produced a volume of work that can still be discovered in these wonderful lesser known (and very affordable) prints.

11. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Figuring he was a Weston, I guess his print prices are still very reasonable for buyers. Ranging between 800.00-2,000.00 for his regular 11x14 prints, its a good price. Over the past few years I've seen his prints slowing going up in value.

If you are one that check Ebay for Brett's prints frequently, you will notice that you see new images almost every week...and they are usually images you have never seen before!!! He produced so much work, it was amazing.

There is currently two Brett Weston prints on Ebay, if anyone is interested. One of them is a 16x20, fairly popular image which may be published in his White Sands porfolio- http://cgi.ebay.com/Brett-Weston-Si...ryZ66465QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The other is an 8x10 contact print, in which i'm sure not many people have ever seen before- http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1968-BR...ryZ66465QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

12. Mike Lopez

Mike Lopez Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

Agreed on the reproduction quality in the Lodima books. I haven't received White Sands yet, but hopefully will tomorrow.

I knew the reproductions in San Francisco were beautiful, but I didn't realize just how beautiful until I bought "Master Photographer" from the Photography West gallery and was able to compare his Golden Gate bridge picture in the two books side-by-side. Almost night and day different.

13. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just received my copy of White Sands. The essay by Nancy Newhall appeared with the original portfolio published in 1949; but still has good insights into Brett's photography. The essay by Roger Aiken is helpful for his commentary on the specific images chosen. The 15 prints (by my count) are well reproduced and stunning. Lodima Press is earning my debt of gratitude for publishing this series.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. payral

payral Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What about the next one.
    I think it's new York, any news ?

16. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not to me. The best picture in there is number 13 as far as I'm concerned.

17. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Michael Smith said in another thread that they hope to have it printed around the first of the year, I think.

18. PhotoHistorian

PhotoHistorian Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It is a myth that Brett burned his negatives. Yes, he did try and burn a few ceremonial ones at this 80th birthday party. He discovered negatives do not burn so easily. But the majority of his negative were destroyed. Brett and his brother Cole filled up 55 gallon drums with water and dumped the negatives in. After several days the emulsion floated from the base. But some of Brett's most famous ones survived. Myself and several friends held Brett's "Holland Canal", "Ford Tri-motor" and "Garrapata Beach" negatives at a Cole Weston workshop in 2001 and 2002. Just amazing to look through the master's true "original". As for the Lodima Books, they are very good but I still prefer to live with one Brett original photograph.

Walker

19. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Walker, the story that Brett burned his negatives is so prevalent, I wish you'd give us your authority for the different story. Maybe Cole told you? (Sorry, the lawyer pops out in me occasionally)
    juan

20. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know about Walker's source, but Cole did tell me it happened this way.

Bill

21. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I spoke with Kim Weston recently and he said that he does have the Holland Canal negative but that it has been altered as to make it unprintable. He did not dispute that Brett's negatives had been destroyed.

22. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Donald,

Did you ask him about his Dad putting the negative on the back of his print? You had mentioned this in another thread. I haven't been able to find any other reference to this... only that Kim did it for a time.

Thanks,

Bill

23. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bill,

No I did not think to ask him about that...But he is very close to Randy Efros here in Phoenix (both were assistants to Brett) and I will ask him the next time I see him.

24. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Donald.

25. payral

payral Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Anyone heard about the new Brett Weston porfolio by Lodima Press.
    I think it's New York. It was supposed to be delivered at the beginning of the year (the 2007 one).

26. Michael A. Smith

Michael A. Smith Subscriber

Brett Weston Book series

The next volume of the series, New York, was printed in early November. We had it bound in Europe, thinking that would be more efficient and faster. (Never again!) We thought the books would be ready to ship by late January. But they are still not in the USA. They are due to arrive here in about two weeks. Then we have to get them from the port, etc. So, if all goes smoothly, and no hold up from customs, we plan to ship New York around May 21. The reproductions in New York are of the same quality as that in San Francisco and White Sands.

For those interested in our fine books: along with the Brett Weton book will be delivered the next three books in teh Lodima Press Portfolio Book series: books by Arthur Tress, Marilyn Bridges, and Paul Caponigro. We will release these books every other month beginning in May. See www.lodimapress.com for details. We are currently in process of totally revising the Lodima web site. It goes slowly, sloely, but we are getting there. Previous books in the series are by Nick Nixon, Carl Chiarenza, George Tice, Keith Carter, Linda Connor, and Larry Fink.