White sky with HP5+

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by pschauss, Oct 21, 2005.

1. pschauss

pschauss Member

In most of the pictures I take with this film, the sky comes out white. I normally use a yellow #8 ( or equivalent) filter. Would a darker filter or one of a different color make a difference?

2. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It depens, I think, more on your exposure than on the film. Over exposure tends to lessen the effect of the filter and under exposure can sometimes, enhance it.

3. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like overdevelopment to me, try reducing your development times...

4. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

A number 8 yellow is a fairly weak filter to darken skies. A number 12 or 15 would have a greater effect. For a still greater effect you might try a 25 or 29 red. Another filter that would give you darker skies would be a polarizer. However watch for uneven effects when using the polarizer.

Considering the latitude of this film, I would think that your problems are more of filter selection then over development.

5. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For a filter to do much at all, remember that you have to have a generous area of really blue sky. You don't say where you are, but where I live, there's frequently so much humidity and wispy clouds, a good, dark sky is impossible regardless of filter.
    juan

6. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did some shooting this past monday here in NM and the sky was so blue that it actually looks like I was using a red filter, but I was actually using a light yellow 021 filter.

7. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tend to use an orange, or a polarizer.

David.

8. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    pschauss -

I dont know your level of experience, so please take no offense at what I am about to write if its something you already know. I have had the blown our sky problem quite a bit when I started, and it was a matter of over-exposure and metering for the wrong part of the scene. You may also want to look at the level of contrast you areprinting with, if this is occuring in print - you may want to look at that as well.

Best of louck with this!

Peter.

9. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    quick rule of thumb might be to double the exposure (one half the box speed) and reduce the development time by say 20% then look at the skys.

lee\c

10. Muihlinn

Muihlinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You should try several options like rethinking the exposure (a good exposure of the ground will wash the sky almost always), using a red/polarizer/orange filter or a combination of some, a degraded ND filter and change the developing scheme to maximize the effect.

11. pschauss

pschauss Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Your comments have pretty much confirmed my own observations shooting HP5+. FWIW, I have found that skies look much better with slower films like PX, FP4+, and APX100.