Who are current suppliers of contact printing frames

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by nsurit, Jan 28, 2014.

1. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking for retail suppliers/builders as opposed to eBay or other such resources. The variety offered with clips around the side are of no interest. Seems like I saw a thread recently about someone on this list starting to make them again. Looking to purchase two or three for a school.

2. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  4. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would recommend the Pellend frames mentioned above, especially for use at a school. Primarily because Dan's frames have metal channels to receive the metal tabs. Those without them can become damaged over time if you are not careful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  5. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Freestyle Photo has quite a few. The prices on them are insane though. One has a mahogany frame and I think it's 200 bucks! You know, you could easily build one for $10 or $15. That's what I would do, have the students build them. You get a real appreciation for something like that, vs just going out and buying something.

6. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    It might help us if you told us what size negatives you will be using. I have always been told to get one size larger than the negative to include a good size print paper. I have three frames from Bostick & Suilvan and one Bill Schwab of Photostock fame. www.NorthLightWorkshops.com He is an excellent carpenter as well as photographer. All of the frames are very ridged and strong.

I have taken a couple of alt process courses with really cheap old flimsy print frames. They ruin the experience. Quality really pays off here.

John Powers

7. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    freestyle no longer sells them. at least according to my searches.......
    I don't think Bill makes them any longer either.

8. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Freestyle doesn't currently carry any contact printing frames. Bostick and Sullivan does and Dan Pelland is taking orders for custom build frames. The ones with a bunch of little clips around the edges do not work for me. I have one from Freestyle a few years ago that works fine and several from B&S that I've bought in the past.

9. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Freestyle told me they sold through their contact frame stock and are currently in talks with a new manufacturer. Expecting to have more in the next quarter or so.

10. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yeah, the formulary ones with all the clips work but they SUCK to use and are rather loud snap/unsnap. well made but terrible design.

11. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For what it's worth I have the 11x14" split back contact printing frame from photographers formulary and like it very much. I don't recall now if I got it from adorama or b&h or maybe even amazon, but the price was lower than at the photographers formulary website and the shipping was lower or maybe free too. It is very solidly built and does a good job of applying pressure all over.

Do agree about the snap/unsnap, but like the solidness.

12. Maris

Maris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm probably missing something vital, but isn't it fairly simple to make one from a good quality picture frame, probably an aluminium one for strength? Lose the multiple small clips and replace them with a couple of longer leaf-springs made from brass-strip (carried by any d.i.y. shop). The spring pivot point can be a small nut-and-bolt, or a pop-rivet, with the depth of the head lost within a piece of mounting board. The hinge for the backing board can be a couple of layers of cloth held on with pva glue or similar, as it isn't stress bearing when the frame is closed . . . I feel a little project coming on . . .

Edit: This idea would work with standard pre-built picture frames at a smallish size, but I can imagine that anything bigger than 11x14" might need a more substantial frame to be made by the local frame-shop and perhaps heavier glass. The principle should be the same though?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  14. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sure it's easy to DIY something for little to no cost using picture frames or whatever. I've contacted printed with a sandwich of heavy glass and foam board, clamped with some strong binder clips from Staples. Total cost about $10.

But just like any tool, when you have a nice one it's a pleasure to use and of course it does the job well. I don't have the woodworking skills to come anywhere near that point so I'm happy to buy one from someone who does.

15. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doug Kennedy has made two for me (including a custom size), and they are of highest quality workmanship. The springs are secured with metal washers, so should not wear out like wood. dbkennedy@frontiernet.net

17. Captain_joe6

Captain_joe6 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Alistair Inglis makes one that I've been eyeballing lately...

18. donkee

donkee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A friend of mine is helping me with a home made 8x10 camera. He offered to help with larger versions of my old contact printing frames. I'll see what he come sup with. Maybe he can offer up some nice ones at a reasonable cost. He does great work too. Wish I remembered more from my high school wood shop classes!

19. JackRosa

JackRosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another Vote for Inglis Equipment

I do not own a contact print frame by Inglis but have other pieces of equipment he manufactures (film washers, pin-registered negative carriers, etc.) and give everything he designs and makes 2 thumbs up! He is also a stand-up guy!

20. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lotus view camera from Austria offers wooden frames from 8x10 to 20x24.

21. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had a number of different frames over the years; older frames from Eastman, etc. made from hardwoods are good if not damaged. Many frames I've gotten off Ebay have been made of soft wood, not hardwood. Soft wood is a challenge because they shed wood fibers and collect dust, which also gets onto the negative. I currently use ancient Eastman contact frames for 8x10, 5x7 and 4x6 and a new 11x15 from Bostick & Sullivan, which appears to be designed to survive the zombie holocaust.

Mike

22. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got used ones. MJS is right, if you have a softwood one and it does not have metal to receive the spring clip, it will shed wood onto the negative when the clip abrades the frame. It takes patience to get good used ones on Ebay or a forum.