WHo has never seen a pt/pd print and would like to?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Jorge, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Here is the deal, I was making Alex's print and I messed up the mask, so the print has a flaw at the bottom left corner. It is an otheriwse good print, so instead of throwing it away I rather just give it away....first come first serve...PM me with the address.. :smile:

2. VoidoidRamone

VoidoidRamone Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    pm sent
    -Grant

3. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Grant has it....

4. SchwinnParamount

SchwinnParamount Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Jorge, if you ever make another mistake... and I know, it's not likely :tongue: ... then I'd love to have it. I've read a great deal lately about the technique but never saw it in the flesh, so to speak

5. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Aww men, you have no idea how many times I mess up, Next screw up is yours.. :smile:

6. mark

mark Member

Damn it. Missed another cool thing being given away.

7. André Ferreira

André Ferreira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So did I, although Brazil is kind of far,isn´t it?

André Ferreira.

8. André Ferreira

André Ferreira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey, I just took a look at your work in ebay, really nice! Do you by any chance have a site or something where I could see the rest of it? By the way, you don´t mention the shipping fees for South America...
    Great work, I´m fascinated!

André Ferreira.

9. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Andrè, I cant promise anything but will keep you in mind. Shipping to South America is the same as to Europe, sorry bud, the Mexican Postal Service is nuts....

10. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Jorge! The US Customs Service is trying to give the Mexican Postal Service a run for its money! Talk about bad...

11. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Awww men Tom, doen even get me going on Mexican Customs....talk about a scam!!!!

12. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe they are working together?

The last package of pt/pd prints shipped to me by a famous LF/ULF photographer in Mexico arrived sealed with a big green tape with "OPENED BY US CUSTOMS" all over it. The turkeys damaged one of the overmats in the process. Fortunately, none of the prints were damaged.

I cursed them soundly and cut a new overmat.

Actually, I thought myself lucky to get off that easily. Earlier a Copal 3S shutter mysteriously vanished in shipment from Japan. Shipment tracking showed that it arrived at the San Francisco Customs Office and never came out again. Postal insurance paid for it, but what a PITA!

13. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ah so you wanna compare horror stories?.. :smile:

Let me start with the lens I bought 2 months ago and still has not shown....I am sure it is in customs limbo, if it has not been stolen. Then I have my favorite story. All imports incurr at least a 25% import tax on the price of the item including shipping charge. So I while back I ordered chemicals from Arcraftchemicals and Michael, thinking that Mexico is a civilized country, packages the chemicals and sends them on their way via mail. 6 weeks go by and nothing, so I called him. Unfortunatelly since he sent them unregistered he made up another package and sent it to me Via Fedex. 4 more weeks later I get a letter from the postal customs office telling me I had to go to Mexico City to claim the chemicals. SInce they did not have a list in spanish they needed me to go in person, secure a customs broker to do the paper work and pick the stuff in person and of course pay them their 30% import tax.

So I call them and said I did not live in Mexico City, that it was hardship for me to go there...well, no matter, they could not care less....so I had to tell them to send it back. SO far I think Michael has not gotten back the chemicals, since they warned me they would send them by land carrier, and that it would take at least 4 months for the chemicals to get back to the US.....how do you like them apples?.....My taxes at work...lol

14. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yikes, better off sneaking over the border on a buro.

15. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If anyone wants to see a print I'll send you one of my 5x7's in an 11x14 mat for a small fee :smile:. Just send me a PM so I know to print one when I'm done with my chemistry work this week and I'll mail one out to you for $15 (which includes shipping)--trying to convert some of the equity I have in palladium into gum :smile:

If you want to see the next step up in quality check out the Contact Printer's Guild or Jorge's auctions--but I know some can't afford the cost but still want a peek.

note: these will be finished prints and not seconds. Get it now before I'm famous, right, Jim Galli :smile:

16. djklmnop

djklmnop Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When I mess up on my silver prints, I usually wash them up with the rest of the batch and start cutting them up into 2" x 5" sections with a paper cutter and pick the best abstract out and use them as book-markers. Fiber prints have really nice thickness' that'll hold up well for it.

Andy

17. dogzbum

dogzbum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As I can't buy ferric oxalate in Australia (it's always stale and only available for export sales) and can't afford the ridiculous prices that chem supply companies want for metal salts I have no chance of ever seeing (or preferably making) a Pt/Pd print.

Yeah sure I'd like a print but I would prefer to see a step wedge guide.
    Is there anyone who crops these from their Pt/Pd prints before sale and is willing to post one to Australia?

If so, let me know and I'll pm my address!!

18. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeremy,

Not sure if you're taking requests, but I'd gladly pay you for a copy of your "dry cleaning machine", or another image if you prefer.

19. Christopher Colley

Christopher Colley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many museams with photography collections will allow patrons to view prints that arent currently on display up close, not in a frame behind glass. The Art Institute of Chicago has a program like this. You call them up, mention you are interested in a certain type of print (or photographer), be it 19th century gum prints or platinum prints and theyll pull them out for you to look at up close, without frames just a matted print directly from the vault.

Just thought to mention its worth calling your local large museam to check. If they allow it and have a program like this you can hold some rare beautiful prints from some famous photographers..... in nearly any process you could imagine.

I saw some great platinum and gum prints earlier in the month at the ARTIC and they are surely very beautiful objects! Especially the platinum base, with gum on top......

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2005
  20. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    prints

The Center for Creative Photography is the BIG HOUSE depository for many of the greats. You can go in; look at the menu, and then sit in a beutiful room-only they provide an assistant to turn the prints. Just as good though. It's in Tucson Arizona.
    Peter