Who Here Collects Work By Ryan McIntosh?

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Matthewt, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Matthewt

Matthewt Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Good morning to all. I have been to Mr. McIntosh's website and I have to say I like his work. Anyone collect his work?

2. Scott Peters

Scott Peters Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I don't (economically, just not a great time to collect, pouring gobs of cash into my latest business venture) but have personally seen his work at a workshop and enjoy it very much. He is very passionate about photography and a great guy. He contact prints on AZO and l personally like that look very much. I can assure you the print in hand is much better than what you would see on the website.

3. Matthewt

Matthewt Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thanks for the reply Scott. I am thinking of buying one or two of his prints. I was looking for some opinions. Thanks.....Matt

4. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't collect his work but have seen it in person at one of per's workshops and his prints influenced me into moving up to 8x10.

vinny

5. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've also had the pleasure of meeting Ryan and seeing some of his LF Azo work at a Michael and Paula workshop. I don't own any of his prints yet - but I do plan to become an owner!

6. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Matt, I own a dozen of his prints including his Iceland Portfolio II. I don't know if that makes me a collector or not, but if you purchase a few of his prints, you will be glad you did.

I look forward to meeting Ryan someday.

Like Ryan I contact print on Azo, I just wish I had Ryan's eyes!

7. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have a few of Ryan's prints, Matt. They are superb; also extremely well presented and packaged when shipped.

8. Matthewt

Matthewt Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Good morning to all fellow APUGers. Thank you for your input on Ryan's prints. I have decided to purchase some. Well, I can afford one at a time, but eventually I will have a "Ryan Collection" going on. I have been looking to expand my collection and Ryan's work caught my eye. I have only collected Bill Schwab's work. I buy one a month from him and I plan on doing the same with Ryan. Thanks again for your input....Matt

9. PhotoHistorian

PhotoHistorian Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  10. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm ... this should be interesting ... can't wait ....

Regards, Art.

11. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  12. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    That college kid

I know Ryan and these negative inferences to his integrity are uncalled for.

It is quite possible that Ryan, a photography student in college in Arizona, has sold more prints in his few years as a student than the majority of photographers posting on forums. I find this quite encouraging. Keep up the good work Ryan!:smile:

Dave in Vegas

13. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I see in a different thread that Ryan has become sick from the Peter Pan Peanut Butter.......

Better purchase Ryan's images in a hurry, they will increase in value substantially if the Peter Pan contributes to Ryan's untimely demise.....

Nothing like the ultimate "limited edition" to increase print value....

Hope Ryan is feeling better real soon :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't understand how some alleged scam a few years in the past has any relevance. What is important is Ryan's artistic vision and the quality of his work today.

Caravaggio was a murderer. But does that mean his "David with the Head of Goliath" is in some way flawed? Of course not.

16. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm

This is really disgusting. I have known Ryan for a long time and he is one of the most honest people I have ever known. I am honored to call him a friend. This really sickens me and you shoudl be ashanmed of your self.

Have you ever seen Ryan's work or prints in person? I have and they are outstanding! He is one of the better AZO printers I have seen and as young as he is he will become one of the next masters period.

Kev

17. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I have drawn my own conclusions as you have suggested. The first one is that he is honest. The second one is that you're a troll. The third one is that you are reported.

As to the OP question, I happen to have a print by Ryan that I acquired through a print exchange, and I'm very proud to have such a good work hanging on my walls.

18. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know Ryan personally and have no reason to doubt his honesty nor his integrity, but I don't believe the post by PhotoHistorian was a troll or someone with a personal grudge. Instead, I think it was a post by someone who honestly responded to the question about collecting Ryan's work with a link to the thread on the LF forum as something to ponder.

I don't own any of Ryan's work and my budget is too small to allow me to buy work at this time (I can either buy it or create my own and I'd rather do the latter), but if I had the funds I would add a McIntosh or 2 in my collection. He is a young photographer who is out there doing what he loves and that alone deserves respect.

19. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If one reads the cited thread on the LF Forum, it was plainly evident that it was started on a totally preposterous aalegation. The originator claimed to have noticed a pattern in Ryan's auction site buying and selling. The assumption made was that Ryan bought Ansel Adams negatives, then shortly after, marketed prints made from those negatives as original Adams prints. There was never any more evidence offered than this singular assumption.

Why someone would make such flawed allegation is beyond me, but it happened. I suspected the original thread was started by a troll for whatever reasons trolls start vengeful threads. That leads me to suspect Mr. PhotoHistorian may be connected to whomever started the LF Forum thread, because how could one say what he said if one actually read and understood the original allegation?

20. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1. Ryan bought a copy negative
    2. Ryan auctioned off a print of the same image as that the copy negative was of

I don't think that this is a preposterous allegation at all, Alex, but I also trust in Ryan's integrity and he promptly responded to the post with answers. What was misleading to me is that Ryan multiple times used the term "work" in reference to the CCP and then later had to recant his use of this term and said he "volunteered" at the CCP. I don't believe he did this to mislead people on purpose, but that while volunteering he was literally working (just for no $$$) at the CCP and this is how he saw it--he had no hesitations in stating that he probably misused the term "work" as it could be misconstrued and replaced it with "volunteer."

Is there anything other than circumstantial evidence of any wrong doing? Nope, not at all--is there circumstantial evidence? As stated by Jim_5508 on the LF forum "You can tell by looking at his bid history that he bought an Ansel Adams copy negative and 2 weeks later turned around and sold an "original" print from the same negative," to me this does make me perk up my ears--but as I said above, I have no reason to doubt Ryan and as someone mentioned above: his personal life has no bearing on the actual images which he creates (gotta love that Iceland work).

21. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

22. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've refrained from chiming in on this thread for a while, but the genesis of this thread to me smacks of a shill. I'm not going to say Ryan had anything to do with it, but to me it seemed like something David Spivak would do to pump his magazine.

To answer the original poster's question, what you really need to look at is, do you like his work? does it have artistic merit in your eyes, and would you still like to look at it on your wall 20 years from now? If the answer to the above questions is yes, then you should by all means buy his work. If you are looking at it as purely an investment, you need to consider other factors, including the ones mentioned above.

Ultimately, you are the only person who can decide if buying the work of a given photographer is an investment you are willing to make. Frankly, buying any living artist's work is not an investment, it is a gamble. If you are looking at artwork as an investment, don't spend any more on the work than you are willing to lose/consume.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  23. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Don, you contradict yourself in your own statement. Neither one of us knows any more about this than the other, as you say. There is no conclusive link between the negatives and the prints other than what the thread originator claimed. And that claim cannot in any way be substantiated on what was reported nor by what is shown on the auction site. But there is no way I'm going to get in an argument about this with you. First, and most importantly, its just not worth it to us.

24. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Greetings everyone.

I was not going to make and posts in this thread, but I figured that I might as well.

First off, thank you to everyone for the sincere compliments on my work and to everyone who collects my prints. Without you, I would not be able to continue what I do. Photography is my living and my only source of income, so I value everyone who has contributed and supported my work. Again, thank you.

In regards to the posting on the LF forum nearly 3-4 years ago, that situation was completely settled and resolved and the thread was closed because of that. The situation with my possession of the old AA copy negative, and the prints for reproduction was resolved. The copy negative was sold and now in a permanent collection in NYC. The actual purpose of the prints were finally discovered, thanks to a serious Ansel Adams collector back East, and we tracked down the publication they were intended to be used for even.

My association with the CCP was completely settled and I'm on good terms with them. I'm actually taking a class with the curator of the museum this semester as we speak.

Anyway, I'm sorry any commotion was caused here, but I assure you that everything was settled and was completely resolved.

On another note, I still have several Adams prints in my personally collection and currently have one up on Ebay at this moment.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=130080715539&rd=1&rd=1

If any of you are interested in talking with me more about this matter or anything else, please feel free to contact me via email.

All the best,

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

25. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ryan, first, please understand that I'm not one of your critics and I don't have an opinion about any of this. I'm juts observing. In that light, I want to observe that the above quoted paragraph really doesn't answer any questions. The implication is there that the print you sold was not made by you from the copy negative that you purchased. If that's the case, can you just say so?

26. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    No prints were made from the copy negative by myself or anyone else for that matter, as I had purchased it for it as a unique collectors item only. It was believed to have been made by Adams himself, as it had his stamp and handwriting on the outside and that was what interested me. A print could not have been made from it due it it being damaged and "silvered" I believe is the term, where all the silver was starting to come to the surface of the negative and could be wiped off with your finger. Not to mention scratches and other surface damage. The negative was also of a different size then the print I had in my collection, and would have required an 8x10 enlarger to make the same size of the print I sold.

The fellow who purchased the negative from me lives back in NY and is a collector of Adams related items. I believe he still owns the negative, but would never attempt to print it, as he wanted it for its unique collection value only.

Best,

Ryan McIntosh