Who is Using Bronica Gear?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by asaphoto, Mar 26, 2006.

1. asaphoto

asaphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey All,

I got a Bronica SQ-Ai and two lenses about a year ago and love it. About 6 months ago I got a 50mm to go with my 80mm and 110mm macro. All and all I feel like I have a perfect setup for what I use it for. I was wondering who else is using Bronica gear and what setups you all have? Also what you like/dislike about what you have? Hope to hear back.

Asa

2. dianna

dianna Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Asa,

I have a Bronica kit, an ETRS with a 75mm and a 150mm and I love it. It's small and light and the lenses are fast and sharp. An ETRS kit can be had for a song - I got mine cheap with lots of extras like a grip and a metered prism. I'm planning on getting the macro lens soon. I chose the ETRS mainly to replace my 35mm gear - I wanted a more negative real estate but still wanted something easy to handle.

Cheers,
    dianna

3. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Bronica SQ-A with a metered prism, two 120 backs and the 80/2.8 Zenzanon-PS lens, and I have been using this for about three months. So far I have no complaints and the rolls I've put through it have come out very well. Overall, I am satisfied with the system. I plan to add more lenses (at least a wide and a tele) and backs to the system.

I also moved up from 35mm and the bigger slides look so much more pleasing! (I have mostly shot slides on the Bronica.)

4. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I gave up my Mamiya C-series TLR's for Bronica SQ-series SLR's in September 2004 - a fantastic move on my part. I now have 3 bodies (2 SQ-A, 1 SQ-Ai) and a nice lens kit. I bought mine mostly for wedding work, but now it's the gear I grab for many things I used to use 35mm. My SQ-A bodies all have Speed Grips and my SQ-Ai has the motor drive and I find the handling to be superior to 35mm for 90% of what I want a hand held camera. The 150mm PS lens is dynamite for head shots, though it's handy to have the 18mm extension tube to get in a bit tighter. The 50mm PS is a great wide angle for wedding gigs.

5. asaphoto

asaphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you use the metered prism? I have one but never use the meter on it. Do you find you get good results on from it?

6. nyx

nyx Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I purchased mine something over 6 months ago and I still love it. I have SQ-B, 2 120 backs, 1 135W back and 50/80/180 PS lenses. I'm thinking about buying another body (SQ-Am or SQ-Ai with motor drive), one or two more 120 backs and maybe 40mm later.

7. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bronica ETRS, with 40, 75 and 150mm lenses and a non-metered prism. Two 120 backs, a 135W, and a polaroid back.

8. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two RF645 bodies with 45 and 65mm lenses. I bought them while Bronica went under in the full knowledge of this because they are wonderful cameras at a wonderful price. I find the RF prob the most comfortable and ergonicmically perfect camera I have ever used. Wonderful with results I cannot fault. Using the little shades at all times I have not seen a single frame with any flare whatsoever.....and so sharp!

9. micek

micek Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RF645. It has made both my Leica M4 and my Hasselblad practically redundant.

10. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A guy at work has a GS-1 which he has lent me a time or two.

Excellent camera and the one lens I've used with it was really impressive. Perhaps a little too big to be a camera I'd use as my 'daily' camera but if I had the money I'd definitely like one.

11. brimc76

brimc76 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an ETRs system with 2 120 backs, 220 insert, polaroid back, rotary prism, regular prism (non metered), 40mm, 75mm, 150mm, and a 250mm. The 40mm and the 250mm are PE lenses and the other 2 are the series just before the PE series came out. I am very happy with this system and have used it for a few years now.

12. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    RF645

Bronica RF645 with 45, 60, and 100 lenses.....can not say enough good about this camera, I got one of the early ones and have had no trouble at all. The lenses are the sharpest I have ever owned, as good as the Hasselblad lenses and my Nikon. The lenses are all f/4 when extra speed is needed I use the flash and or Delta 3200 film. I will in the future get additional bodies. Also for many years i used a Bronica S2A which I really liked, it was noisy, but very reliable and the lenses were very sharp....I would be using it today but it disappeared when I was shooting several years back way down in old Mexico...that s another story.

13. Robert Kerwin

Robert Kerwin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought an SQ-Ai outfit about a month ago--body, 80mm lens, 120 back, WLF and eye-level prism (non-metered). Soon, I hope to add the 50mm lens and another 120 back.

I haven't had a chance to use it much yet, but my test rolls have me anxious to get out and do some real photography. It's a great camera and with prices the way they are now, it's hard to find an excuse not to jump at some of the deals out there.

- Robert

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I couldn't take it anymore...

So I edited the thread title, so that it will show up on a search for "Bronica". :smile:

16. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Classic Bronica user here. 2 S2a bodies, 5 backs, 11 lenses from 40mm through 500mm, tilt-shift bellows and various what-nots. It's a very affordable way to build a very versatile system.

17. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Ole! :smile: It was bugging me too because of the same reason - not showing up in a search.

18. r-brian

r-brian Member

I've been using a SQa for about 9 years now. It is my go-to camera (except that I'm using my 4x5 more and more). I have 2 bodies (recently picked up the 2nd for back-up just because they've gotten so cheap), the AE finder (and yes I use the meter and yes it gives me good results), WL, 2 120 6x6 backs, 1 120 645 back, the 40mmS, 50mmS, 80mmS, 150mmS and 250mmS lenses, speed grip and pro shade (that covers the 50mmS thru 250mmS). I can go out and spend all day with just the 40mm lenses. I've never had anything but good luck with this equipment; it never failed me.

Brian

19. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well done that man!

SQA + 50 + 110 + 200, 36mm extension tube & few 120 backs.

Why? Half the size and weight of a 6x7 SLR (you know the one I mean...), electronically timed leaf shutters in good quality lenses. All fits nicely in a Lowepro Nova 5 shoulder bag.

Why not? Take a spare battery with you - always. Rubbish 'B' mode. No longer made :sad: (but then, what is these days? :sad: :sad: )

Cheers, Bob.

20. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have two SQ-Ai bodies, 40PS/50S/80PS/110PS /150 PS and 250 PS lenses together with the usual assortment of finders,prisms, backs and hoods. Frankly I buy very little equipment outside of making sure I have good examples of everything and backup available on the most vital components.

I've had Bronicas for not far off a decade now- so plenty of opportunity to change them if I didn't like the format or the way the cameras work.

21. sph777

sph777 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been using my sqai which I first got for weddings in 1995 (and I have to admit, love not doing weddings anymore).

Have a 40mm which is excellent for landscapes. Recently got a 250 cheaper than I ever imagined, and am trying it on dune pix.

The one with a tilt-shift--was this mfg'd by Bronica, and is it available used??

And, does the rangefinder use completely different lenses?

Paul

22. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got an SQ-B kit about 3 months ago. No extras as yet but a 50mm lens somewhere must have my name on it. My 35mm gets very little use now, the negs look SO small and the lenses seem like P&S kit. WOnderful kit. If I had the money I'd love an RF .

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ole:

Thanks for the correction - if ever I start a thread with a typo in the title, you hereby have my permission to fix my screw-up. :tongue:

I've never shot Bronica, but was always impressed with their handling when I sold cameras.

24. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I purchased my first Bronica GS-1 in 1988 with a 100mm and 200mm lens along with some backs, the Pro-shade, and Speed-Grip. Since then, I've added a couple of used bodies and lenses. I can honestly say that there's no other MF camera that I would rather shoot with over the GS-1. I'm very partial to the "Ideal Format" 6x7 cm negative size and Zenzanon glass is superb.

The Bronica bodies and lenses (that I have) have proved over a long period of time to be very reliable and trouble free.

25. Tom A

Tom A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bought my SQ-Ai kit 4 month ago from a friend, which for a brief moment was crazy enought to give up serius photography - he is still recovering from his magic bullet chasing, somewhere on APUG :D

The kit included PS 80 and 150mm and I have just added a PS 40mm.

And I just love this kit. It is so fun to play with and this BIG negative, WOW! (compared to 135-format) :smile:

Tom

26. dschneller

dschneller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got the MF bug a couple of years ago when I bought a Bronica SQ with two 220 backs, 80mm PS, and a WLF. Since then I have added an un-metered prism finder and an 135N back. It's a solid camera. :smile:

Dave