Who makes a 82mm 6 stop or 10 stop nd filter?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by wildbill, May 1, 2006.

1. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm trying to standardize on 82mm circular glass filters. I'd like Heliopan or B+W but they don't make a 6stop or 10 stop nd. I don't want to stack filters and that won't work on my wide lenses anyway.

vinny

2. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have the B+W 6-stop ND in 67mm, so they do make it, and I know Heliopan makes them in large sizes to order. You could e-mail Bob Salomon at HP Marketing to find out about the availability from Heliopan.

4. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. MichaelBriggs

MichaelBriggs Member

Like wildbill says, Schneider / B+W stops their dense neutral density filters at 77 mm. You can find out exactly which filters are standard items from http://www.schneideroptics.com/filters/filters_for_still_photography/ -- click on "Filter Size Chart" to download an Excel spread sheet. Heliopan appears to continue as standard items their denser neutral density filters to larger sizes, including 82 mm -- click on "Preisliste" at http://www.heliopan.de/. The dense neutral density filters are price group 2 (page 3), and page 8 lists a recommended price (Euros) for 82 mm filters of price group 2. You probably should check with your Heliopan distributor to be sure that all filters of price group 2 are available in this size.

6. Early Riser

Early Riser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill , maybe you can get away with using a 82>77mm step down ring for the one lens that requires 82mm and standardize to 77mm. Vignetting may be a problem with WA lenses but if not this could be a better way to go especially if your other lenses are closer in size to 77mm. The problem with 82mm is that you are always going to have supply and availability problems with a size that large.

7. fingel

fingel Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BTW, what is the purpose of a ten stop ND filter? Why not use reasonably slow film?

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Long exposure effects and photographs of the sun.

11. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks michael. I tried a couple website translators w/o success. I'm looking into it.
    I'm particular to EFKE 25, the slowest stuff available in most sizes. I find myself using and nd9 with a pola on top of that and if it's sunny that's not enough. In overcast conditions that's only a 15-30 second exposure when i can't stop down past 22 or 32.

12. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like the Heliopan price list shows the 82mm 10 stop filter, which in price group 2 comes to 132 euros, including 16% tax. That's what my rusty German gets me (accuracy not guaranteed). See the 5th line on page 7 of their price list .pdf.

Just did some checking, and Heliopan is now distributed by HP Marketing. Bob Salomon at HP has been very responsive to email contact for me and others. Perhaps the best way would be to contact him directly about availability at:

bob@hpmarketingcorp.com

Hope this helps.

Lee

Just noted that I'm repeating David, but the email address is new. :smile:

I use a 10 stop B&W ND filter to test reciprocity failure for astrophoto films.

13. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For some long exposure photography crossed polarizers might work, although that gets expensive in 82mm, and metering might be a problem.

14. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    JESUS HACHE!!!!! CARAMBA!!!!!