Who owns A dip and Dunk Film Processor

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Stephen Frizza, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am curious who else here owns and operates a Dip and Dunk film processor? I own a C-41 tecnolab, E-6 tecnolab and B&W Tecnolab Ide love to know who else is out there who's running similar machines.

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know much about these. What is the B&W Tecnolab? Its good for fine art film processing? Is it a dip and dunk?

3. apconan

apconan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hahaha, enlighten me, what's the difference between "finer art film processing" and other types of "film processing".

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I think of commercial B&W processing in the USA I think of the "Versamat" which we called the "Scratchamat" back in the 70s. It was totally unsuitable for processing anything other than cheap consumer B&W snapshots. Getting B&W film processed at a commercial facility was not something even members of our Junior High photo club would even have considered.

So, the question is really, 'is that thing better than the Versamat?'

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2010
  5. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't, but I'd love to get one for C-41. Just so I could process it easily at my leisure. I obviously don't go through enough color film though for it to be worth my while.

6. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dip and Dunk Processing is a scratch proof method of processing (unless something goes horridly wrong) Which on a well maintained machine it doesnt. The Film is placed onto a hanger and is lifted and lowered into a huge tanks of chemistry (hence dip and dunk) and the film hangs suspended in chemistry touching nothing and is gently agitated by pea sized bubbles of Nitrogen gas. Once the film is processed it is gently air dried and is ready to be printed, scanned, sleeved , mounted etc.... it is perhaps the best method for film processing because it is so gentle on the film. I have attached an image of one of these machines in the link below. These machines are quite large, and have rooms dedicated to them.

http://www.tecnolab-international.com/tecnolab/images/fotografia/Delta20micro.jpg

7. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Great. Thanks for the pics and info.

8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is fantastic. So you actually have one of these for B&W? Where did you get it and does it need to be running all the time, etc?

9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sixty-Eight Degrees lab in New York has a Refrema dip and dunk for B&W. It holds something like 160 gallons of Xtol.

10. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I want a processor which will hold 6 one liter SS tanks of chemistry at exactly 100 degrees. I wonder where I could find one...maybe build one?

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Arkay might make something like that. They make stainless steel tank systems with water jackets. You set it up with water circulating through the water jacket to maintain the temperature of the tank line. They're expensive, but sometimes you can find used ones cheap.

12. Samys805

Samys805 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here at Samy's Camera in Santa Barbara, Ca. USA we use Refrema dip and dunk machines for both E6 and C41 processing. Check us out www.samys805.com

13. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found an old Leedal stainless steel tank about 3' long and 10" wide - came with 9 stainless steel tanks for 5x7 hangers. A friend provided me with a temperature control unit with a recirculating pump from a piece of medical equipment that can control the temperature of the water bath within 1/2 degree F. The system does a great job with 4x5 and 5x7 E6 & C41 and I have built a panel to suspend stainless steel roll film tanks in the water bath to do 35mm and 120 roll film. Not pretty but it works great.

Gord

14. bwfans

bwfans Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Technolab is overkill for personal use.

How about a simplfied home-made dip-dunk system: maintain your room temperature at 68-72 degrees, buy six plastic barrels to hold all chemicals - some green plastic garbage cans can hold 55 gallons of temperature stabilized chemicals :smile: - use plastic cloth hangers as film hangers ...

This "system" can develop up to 20 inch negatives. or 12-24 rolls at one time. If you buy a dozen gabage cans, you can even have dip and dunk processors for both films and prints.

Just need to hold the cloth hangers for a while in the dark, with music tuned on and shake your hangers :smile:.

15. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    YAY im not alone!!!

16. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ..we have 3 Tecnolab processors, 1 that is custom made, 18 tanks long with 4 transports.

Regards