Who prints RA4 colour prints?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Bob-D659, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can go up to 11x14

3. akaa

akaa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can. Up to 16x20, though i haven't tried that big yet.

4. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do. Up to 12x16 'cos that's the biggest my NOVA processor will go to. Far more satisfaction than setting a printer going and leaving it at that. All analogue printers both B&W and RA4 need real skill to produce their work.

5. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have -- but our newest photo instructor had our processor hauled away as it was not being use. Of course any students who wanted to use it was discouraged from using it by the same instructor (she is teaching digital).

Oh well, it was fun to do occasionally.

Bruce
    Scanned RA4 print, Rolleiflex

Attached Files:

6. labyrinth photo

labyrinth photo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    we are and are generally quite busy.

7. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I print 20x24 RA-4 all the time. I just sold one of my cameras to finance a roll of FujiFlex. Gorgeous stuff!

8. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I print up to 20x24 in a Jobo, but usually stick to 16x20 since it fits in my roller transport. But I haven't printed RA-4 in over 8 months. So I don't do it very often anymore. It doesn't help that contrast control is now a real pain since we only have one grade of paper (and it's too hard). A lot of my prints end up needing masking.

9. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    As this appears to be a relatively simple question to which a specific answer in terms of numbers is required wouldn't a poll type thread be the better and quicker solution. I presume that numbers printing RA4 is key rather than a discussion

pentaxuser

10. tim elder

tim elder Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I print RA4 color prints regularly at a rental darkroom in New York City. I generally make 11 x 14 work prints and have printed up to 20 x 24 on occasion. The darkroom has a 42" processor so I could print much larger if I had the need.

-Tim

11. Jim Rice

Jim Rice Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I aspire to and am gearing up for it. Anyone have a D-5 Super Chromega or thereabouts within driving distance of central Mississippi that needs a good home?

12. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I print my own RA-4 and develop my own C-41. I can print up to 20" wide by any length. I use fujimoto CP-31 and -51 processors but also have drums too. It's a great process and makes such superb prints that are equal or better to all inkjet prints I've seen. Agreed about the lack of paper choices - that sucks. I have a good stash of cut sheet Endura, mostly Supra but a little Portra too. Portra Endura is what I really wish was still available.

-Ed

13. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I print RA4, when I feel the need.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, there are still several grades of paper available at least from Fuji. Unfortunately, most of them are available in rolls only which makes it rather hard to try all different grades. And Fuji's web site does not explain at all which one is high contrast and which one is low...

16. pcyco

pcyco Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hallo

i also print ra4
    not the last months because of "to much work in the office"

most time 20/20 cm
    changing now to rollpaper 60 cm wide
    --
    thomas

17. kuparikettu

kuparikettu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do. Thus far most of my prints have been somewhere between 18x24cm to 30x40cm, but I hope to start soon working on printing 10x15cm (for photo albums) and a bit later 50x60cm for 4x5 :smile: I use trays.

18. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I print to 12x16" cut from rolls and processed in a JOBO.

19. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I print Colour negative to Ra-4 by hand every week. I also do Ilfochrome (though this is something that I am ceasing shortly) The largest size film format I can print from is 8x10" and I can print traditionally to 50inches x 250 inches. I wish I had a paper processor capable of handling 72inch paper widths.

20. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am printing RA4 in trays on a long dish-warmer. I have just printed up to 9 1/2"x12" in colour, so far, for the curiosity value. Making a temporary table for an extra 12x16" tray will allow bigger colour prints as the process seems to go well with dev - stop - wash - bleach/fix, hence one more tray than black-and-white.

21. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Me too! I hope we can get more than my guess of 50.

22. darkroom_rookie

darkroom_rookie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I print RA4 in drums, up to 36x50".

23. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've started printing RA4 in a Jobo CP-E2 recently, 13x18cm was the biggest so far. Results looked good, I'm ready to go to bigger formats as soon as I get the paper.

24. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am another RA4 printer. Typically up to 10x8 but can do 16x20 as that is my largest sheet size.

25. pinholer

pinholer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been doing RA4 in a CPA-2 ever since RA4 came out. Mostly 8x10s and 11x14s with very few 16x20s. I finished off the 8x10 Supra Endura I had and am now using Crystal Archive. I will follow with 11x14 when I finish that box off.

26. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I started with ep/2 many years ago now...

I run ra/4 6-8 times per year, usually in a run of 3-4 nights to get me caught up. the first night is usually getting though the backlog of contact prints.
    I actually do it while getting other chores around the hose done, since once the roller processor is up to temperature it is a print every 5 minutes between filtration adjustments, or as fast as I can feed them in once things are in calibration and balanced.

generally 8x10, some 11x14, and all sorts of whatever I want that is max 12" wide and will thus get though the processor. I do have a drum for up to 20x24, but no paper that size any more. I still have all my drums and a pair of roller bases for when my roller processor dies and I have a deadline, but oh, the Fujimoto makes life so convenient.

The freezer has Fuji CA 12" by a few hundred feet, 5" by I think 600', and kodak Portra B&W that is not quite black any more. I use that for reversal contact prints of e-6 slides in contact filing pages for indexing purposes. Also several flat sheet boxed of mostly Endura and Supra, and bit of Portra.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2012