Who sells film in Australia?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Nikonic, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Nikonic

Nikonic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello All,

I'm wondering if I could get the names of the online or retail stores that sell film and other analogue products in Australia? Might be going soon. Plus, I'm interested in whether you just generally order from overseas.

2. Nuff

Nuff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Order from overseas, it's a lot cheaper.

3. Nikonic

Nikonic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But if I wanted to buy from a store or online store within AU, who would it be?

Plus, are things like photochemicals cheaper?

4. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Vanbar in Sydney
    Foto Riesel in Sydney
    Ted's, Pitt St in Sydney
    I don't think chemistry will be cheaper because everything is shipped over.
    Search Vanbar and look at their online prices - it's easy to compare as AUD/USD are close enough to parity.

5. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'd like to buy film locally, but you can save $100's buying online from overseas - it's almost ridiculous.

Marc!

6. Nuff

Nuff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I have an option of getting a roll locally for $20 or from overseas for $5. It's a simple choice... Locally would be great, but it's just not realistic at those prices.

7. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Pbarcelon and cheap_shots_au sell a lot of 4x5 (and roll) on eBay. Relatively cheap and quicker than going off-shore.

8. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Adelaide:
    photographicwholesalers.com.au are on Hutt Street, have a nice fridge full of stuff, especially rarer and sheet LF.
    blackandwhitephoto.com.au are in Payneham, just out of the city, good selection of 135 and 120 sizes. It's (afaik) the only place left for E6 and B+W developing, I use them all the time for my devs.
    (ps, note i'm saying "available", not necessarily "cheap")

Best place to buy film is in Sydney via ebay. No pickup, postage only, but he's the cheapest film I can find (locally at least): myworld.ebay.com.au/cheap_shots_au

9. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought of suggesting ebay but I'm assuming the OP will be here on holiday and won't have a local mailing address. Cheap Shots is a good option for locals.

10. myptc

myptc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    cheap_shots_au (eBay seller) has a beaut range of films on offer. I don't think he posts overseas. You'd need an Australian contact to buy/hold for you.
    Retailers in Melbourne: Michaels Cameras (CBD), VanBar (Carlton), PRISM North Melbourne (small/diminishing range of B&W; no sheet film) ShutterBox South Yarra. Others still, but these are the most readily available "go-to" outlets. Be aware that retail prices of film are astronomical here in Australia (very much like Apple and Adobe products are — without a very good reason!). :smile:

12. OzJohn

OzJohn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unless you plan to use really fast films, think about bringing your requirements from the States and taking a chance on the airport xrays at both ends (there is plenty of advice here on APUG). You'll then have a bit more money in your pocket to spend in what is sadly becoming a very expensive country to visit (and live in). OzJohn