Who want's to meet in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by RalphLambrecht, Feb 12, 2011.

1. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will be in Melbourne from Mar26 until Apr18 and would like to meet a few of you APUGers if possible. Anybody interested?

2. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Going to Sydney at all?
    cheers,
    sam

3. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Possibly!

4. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    May as well just keep coming north, Ralph, and I'll buy you a beer in Brisbane!

Ian

5. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    PM sent with contact details if you go to Sydney plus a request for an autograph if I bring along WBM!!!! BTW what is the purpose of you trip downunder?

cheers,
    sam

6. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm visiting my son in Melbourne.

7. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ralph, I suggest that a thread is started in the Australia sub forum. BTW, I am from Adelaide, but myself and another Film shooter friend of my are looking for a good excuse to come to Melbourne for a shoot one weekend. If a meet is organised, I think this could just about be a perfect reason!

8. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm definitely interested (Melbourne)!!

Marc!

9. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I certainly would be interested.

I thought of the idea when in another thread you mentioned you would be travelling to Melbourne, however I thought it would be presumptuous to suggest something like this, especially as family time is usually tight when a family is spread around the world. Personal experience with that.

Ralph, would you be interested in a day outing in the countryside, or just a shortish meeting in the inner city area?

If you have time, and haven't visited this private museum before, I would suggest it may be worth a visit, Micheal's Camera Store Museum:-

http://www.michaels.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=57

About an hour should suffice, although ½ an hour will do; open every day of the year.

Mick.

11. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ralph, sounds good. We'll start another thread and work out a time which suits most of us. We have maybe 10 to 15 to 20 keen APUGers here in Melbourne.

12. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A day outing would be great.

13. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds great. I like to meet them all!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm in if the date is right.

16. Barrie B.

Barrie B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Greetings Ralph , What suburb does your son live in ? What plans have you made ? , have you visited Melbourne before ? :
    I have no doubt that there is much that we could show you if you had the time .
    Cheers Barrie B. Melbourne .
    ( life member of Melbourne Camera Club , and member of the Traditional Darkroom Printmakers Group )

17. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My son lives in Richmond. I've never been in Melbourne before. I have a few plans for the trip but should have a day to spend with APUGers. If there is an interest for a get-together, maybe someone can take the lead to organize it?

18. OldBikerPete

OldBikerPete Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    OK, it looks like it's going to happen (I'm in BTW). Who has suggestions for a venue - NOT the Botanical gardens.

19. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Richmond is approximately 3 to 5 kilometres from the centre of Melbourne, dependent upon where in Richmond. In Australian terms it’s old and serviced heavily by trams and trains but parking is a bit of a nightmare.

Ralph, do you need a lift for the day? This can easily be arranged.

I would suggest a Saturday if possible, mainly because it means most of us will not be rushing back to have an early (ish) night, for an early start on Monday morning if it is on a Sunday.

If you could work out a possible day that is suitable, then we can start arrangements. April the 2nd or the 9th or the Sunday after each day, could possibly work well for you and us.

As I now have a bit of an idea of the age group you fall into, I can tell you that travelling from Europe is hard on the body due to jetlag. If you are coming from the USA it isn’t as bad, but it still hurts. Allow a minimum of three days before you do anything where you need a clear mind. Flying to Europe from Australia, is quite easy on the body by comparison.

Various suggestions for a shortish day trip out of the greater Melbourne area, can be arranged, we just need to figure out what will work for both Ralph and us.

Mick.

20. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about we organise both a day trip and also a separate get-together somewhere not too far from Richmond, such as the CBD?

That way,those with not much time on their hands can still meet Ralph at the get-together, and those with more time can make a day of it somewhere.

Ralph, if you could please let us know when your best times are, we can ask for a show of hands and organise some times and places. As Mick said, Saturdays are probably the best for most.

21. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will be getting there on the 26th of March.

That's a weekend, but I will (most likely) be closer to death than being alive during the first weekend. As far as I know my son, he will be trying to prove that his old, frail and senile Dad is no longer fit, giving him an opportunity to chase me through the country side from morning 'til night, demonstrating the superiority of youth.

He is into camping, but little does he know that Holiday Inn is the lowest threshold of 'camping', I'm willing to go for! What the heck, I'm old, I have an excuse!

Anyway, since his vacation days are limited, we agreed that I'll spend the latter part of our trip with him (really looking forward to that), leaving the former part for my own excursions. Still, I like to spend all weekends with him if possible. Then again, he likes golf, my back does not (another excuse, don't tell on me). So, the first Saturday amongst the awake and living (April, 2nd) may be a good day for us to meet, and him to pound holes into the golf course. He calls it fun!

22. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    April 2nd works for me!! And I echo Pete's reservations about the Botanical Gardens. To start the discussion around somewhere photogenic, Melbourne-y and close to Richmond: there's a couple of things in the suburb I wouldn't mind photographing before they disappear:
    * The former Biscuit Factory/GTV9 on Bendigo St (-37.824565,145.011742)
    * The Silos underneath the famous Nylex Clock (-37.829319,144.988836) - in fact there's a few interesting old industrial things around Cremorne, incl surviving remnants of the old Rosella Factory...
    However, for an actual get-together, somewhere dense in "interestingness" WITH somewhere for coffee would be better - maybe Docklands: there's the not-yet-obliterated-by-development bits in South Wharf with the old Port of Melbourne control tower and other ephemera...

Marc!

23. OldBikerPete

OldBikerPete Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ah. It looks like I'm going to miss out on this one. SWMBO is planning a trip to Gippsland 29th March to 4th April.

24. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another one worth recording before it disappears (it's close to my heart because it's right next door to where I work) is Rosati's Restaurant in Flinders Lane, between Exhibition and Russell. It is an old warehouse-type building in a streetscape of similar buildings and Zagames (the owners) have put in an application to demolish it and replace it with a 9-storey office building :-(

Regarding April 2, it looks like I will have to miss also because I will be interstate that weekend.

25. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    April the second is good for me, although I do have reservations about an inner city meeting as Ralph posted a preference for a day outing.

I have met up with some APUG people in Germany where once they came around to my place and took me out for the day, the second time I took a pre-dawn train from Munich to Stuttgart to meet up with them. Both times were memorable.

What I was shown both times, was stuff that was interesting to a photographically orientated outsider. If Ralph is domiciled in Richmond, which is almost inner Melbourne, he can take public transport to central Melbourne and be there in 12 minutes.

Thoughts peoples?

Mick.

26. raoul

raoul Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have just aquired a 'new' Graflex, so I'm keen for the city or Richmond - my domicile :smile: