Whole plate film holders for Rittreck

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jdrueke, Sep 25, 2009.

1. jdrueke

jdrueke Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I recently purchased a Rittreck view camera with the 5x7 and whole plate backs. I have one "Rittreck Hope" whole plate (yatsugiri) holder which is in excellent condition. The Rittreck is a great camera and I find whole plate very appealing, but I'm hesitant to go much farther without at least a couple of spare holders.

Where do other users of Japanese whole plate cameras find holders? Does anyone make them? Or do I just take really, really good care of the one I've got?

2. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I got all of my matching Tachihara Hope yatsugiri holders bundled with Rittreck bodies.

Eastman-style WP holders will fit the Rittreck back. The image area will be a few millimeters off center in the long dimension, but you could always mark the ground glass if you're trying to be that precise. The Eastman holders can also be a bit hard to find, but don't forget that Eastman plate holders with film sheaths can also be quite workable.

The reverse is not true, BTW - the end-to-locking-ridge dimension on the yatsugiri holders is just a bit too long to seat properly in a back designed for the Eastman holders.

Current Chamonix WP holders should fit as well - I can dig out a Rittreck WP back and check that with mine if you think you might want to go that route.

Good luck!

3. jdrueke

jdrueke Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Oren,

That would be very helpful. Thanks.

John

4. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    John - I just checked, and I regret to have to say that the Chamonix WP holders do NOT fit the Rittreck yatsugiri back - they're just a hair too wide. I confirmed once again that my Eastman WP holders do fit.

Sorry for raising hopes on this. :sad:

5. jdrueke

jdrueke Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Oren,

Thanks very much for checking. Far better to know now than later when the package from China is on the way!

John