Whole Plate.

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by Keith Tapscott., Nov 15, 2006.

1. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are the old classic whole-plate format cameras still available?
    The reason I ask, is I noticed that J&C are taking orders for Ilford ULF etc and 6.5x8.5 inch sheets were mentioned.:confused:

2. roy

roy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They still pop up from time to time although I shouldn't think anyone (apart from Gandolfi perhaps) is still making them. I have a couple of half-plate cameras.

3. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It would be really nice to know how much of these different formats sell - the J&C list doesnt list half plate (which I would buy) but does list whole plate (and it doesnt seem to be a strictly ULF list as it has 6.5x9cm).

Gandolfi will make them, but you see very few around compared to half plate - I saw a whole plate studio portrait camera for sale in Portobello market a few weeks back, first I have ever seen (no plate holders, listed price a bit expensive), but there are half and quarter plate cameras constantly on ebay in the uk in varying conditions, and in shops.

4. big_ben_blue

big_ben_blue Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got three whole plate cameras in my collection. All of them about a hundred years old. Too bad the format died out as the size and ratio is pretty much perfect (a lot more real estate than a 5x7 but not as cumbersome as an 8x10). Biggest problem aside from finding film is finding holder which actual fit (there are dozens of sizes out there).
    Well, looks like I have to pay a visit to J&C's site now:D .

5. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do a hell of a lot of Whole plate ground screens, so someone has to be using them!

Dave

6. big_ben_blue

big_ben_blue Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And I do need a few new ground glasses too :D

7. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is curious why this format became unfashionable, some find the 4:5 ratio a bit too square and the 3:2 ratio a bit too narrow. I like the idea of a format of 4:3 which whole plate is close to and as you say, wouldn`t be as bulky as 8x10. Perhaps a new 8x6 format?:D

8. Christopher D. Keth

Christopher D. Keth Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Isn't whole plate that size because it's a golden ratio rectangle?

9. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No, the golden ratio is about 1.618. The formats closest to "golden" in that general size range are 5x8, 6x10 and 7x11.

10. ReallyBigCameras

ReallyBigCameras Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nope. The Golden Ratio = 1.6180339887...

8.5/6.5 = 1.3076923076...

5x8, 7x11 and 12x20 come much closer to the Golden Ratio:

8/5 = 1.60

11/7 = 1.5714285714...

20/12 = 1.666666666...

The Fibonacci sequence converges on the Golden Ratio

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34...

So, in addition to 5x8, 8x13 and 13x21 would be very, very close to the Golden Ratio:

13/8 = 1.625

21/13 = 1.6153846153...

Of course, 21x34 gets you even closer (as does each successive pair in the Fibonacci sequence):

34/21 = 1.6190476190...

Personally, I kinda like the idea of the 7x11 format. Big enough to yield nice contact prints, but small enough to carry in the field.

Kerry

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2006
  11. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It might be fun to see what would happen if I masked off my 8X10 ground glass to 6.25 X 10

12. Christopher D. Keth

Christopher D. Keth Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Cool, thanks. I couldn't remember the numbers but someone told me that once. I ahve no clue what format they were thinking of.

13. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    One would think. As the otherwise happy owner of a 7x11 Eastman No. 2, which is the most commonly seen model in that format, I regret to report that the design is different from and much heavier than that of the rest of the series. You'd expect it to come in somewhere close to the 8x10, but in fact it weighs about 15 pounds, and is really bulky to boot. It helps that the old holders are very lightweight, but by the time you add a lens and some holders it's a real bear to lug in the field.

If you can find a 7x11 back, it may be worth having an adapter back made for a much lighter 8x10.

That said, it is a lovely format...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2006
  14. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Delayed reaction: Kerry, it would be really cool to see a 7x11 back built or adapted for your ARCA SWISS system - son of Franken-ARCA!

15. ReallyBigCameras

ReallyBigCameras Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Oren,

You read my mind. That's exactly what I was thinking - a 7x11 conversion for my ARCA-SWISS. Although, I was thinking of calling it the Bride of Franken-ARCA.

Kerry

16. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny you say that Donald, ever since you first mentioned it some time ago the idea has stuck with me. Been thinking about making a spliter board to fit the 8x10 Korona so that I could make 6.25 x10 and now thinking about another to make 5x8 with as well. 2 5x8's on a sheet of 8x10 would be fun, just like 2 4x10's were. Will have to stop by and pick up some hobby board for this weekend. The 4x10 was not hard to make, so 1 for 5x8 and another for the 6.25x10 and then ....

For some reason the 8x10 just never felt right to me format wise...love the old Korona, the old lens, etc...just not the format. 5x7 on the other hand is just so sweet..love the format....go figure.

17. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

The first commercial photographic act that I will commit after hitting the lottery, is to call Gandolfi and have them make me a new full-plate camera and a dozen DDs for film.

18. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Buy two and we`ll have one each.:D :D

19. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you want to try the same proportions (roughly) as full-plate, get a 18x24cm film holder and a pack of film. The holders are the same size as 8x10" holders, indeed it's the "continental" version of the same. Just like 9x12cm and 4x5" the holders are the same, but the film proportions are very different.

20. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    *cough*buy three*cough*cough* :D

21. athanasius80

athanasius80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeremy! You're already babysitting MY 6x8 camera, don't tell me you need more of them! :tongue: