Who's Buying Cameras

Discussion in 'New England' started by jphotos, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jphotos

jphotos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

Stepping in from the blizzard (or 'Terrible Storm', whatever we're calling it) to drop a quick post. Does anyone know of a good place to sell used cameras? I have three I'm trying to sell in an effort to downsize a little. I've tried the obvious ones, but I guess if anyone knows vendors/buyers in New England, preferably Maine.

Thanks.

2. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    have you considered selling them in APUG classifieds?

3. Brian Legge

Brian Legge Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Honestly, you're likely do get more selling here, at rangefinderforum.com, largeformatphotography.info/forum, ebay, etc than at a dealer. Even craigslist would likely be better.

I understand wanting to sell locally and painlessly, I'm sure people here would love to hear more about what you have (posted in the correct place, etc - not trying to turn this thread into a ad)

4. eskyone

eskyone Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whatcha sellin?

5. vintageslrs

vintageslrs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    yeah....give us a shot at them.....might be just what someone here is waiting for.

Let us know!

Bob

6. Hikari

Hikari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is also ebay. But I would not be limiting your sales to the local market unless it is a PITA to ship.

7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not terribly close to Maine, but the PHSNE (Photographic Historical Society of New England) auction is this weekend on Sunday in Wakefield, MA you can read about it at www.phsne.org.
    No membership is required to buy or sell.

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    KEH.com

9. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any Mamiya 645 equipment? Or 72-75mm LF lenses?

10. jphotos

jphotos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the feedback. I tried Craigslist and KEH, and a handful of others. KEH, B&H, Adorama..all those guys just don't see a market for used film cameras, I guess. I tried to post an ad here, but you have to be a subscriber. Maybe when the IRS gives me my refund this year....

I may try eBay, just sell them as a 'lot' or something.

I can post what I have but as was previously mentioned I didn't want to hijack the thread, as it were. I'm only selling them if I can because I'm downsizing a little and these three were the least used objects.

Ricohflex VII TLR. Everything appears to work as it should. The original case on it is quite faded and torn at the snaps.

Kodak Brownie Cresta II.

Canon Canonet 19 35mm rangefinder.

Everything's in good shape, save a little yellowing on the Brownie crank. Glass is fine, etc. If you're interested, feel free to shoot a message with an offer. I can ship it/them.

11. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not to be incredibly rude, but there is a market for used film cameras, just not the ones you're selling, except maybe the Ricohflex. The other two are $20 cameras give or take. That's why the dealers weren't interested. The Canonet was made by the tens of thousands - the brownie, even more. If you want to get an idea of what they might sell for, take a look at Shopgoodwill.com and Ebay.

12. jphotos

jphotos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's not rude.

Yes, I agree that's why the dealers weren't interested. There's not a market for them and when I say them, I mean them (those sites specifically). They said that. The heavily digital influence on their sites indicates as much.

But thanks for the input. I agree that they're a dime a dozen and I didn't pay a lot for them on eBay when I bought them, but they're too special to just donate. Worst case, the guy downtown at the pawnshop will probably give me a couple bucks. Except maybe I'll keep the Ricohflex after all.

And I love your work, Flying Camera. I looked at your site. Really good images. And is Ben's Chili Bowl in D.C? I feel like I've read about it in a Pelecanos novel or two.....

Thanks.
    Jim

13. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I buy used cameras way too often on the Maine craigslist. I'm not after those you describe but I know someone in Rockland is looking to buy used cameras like that.

14. 02Pilot

02Pilot Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM sent.