Who's gonna put this man out of misery?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by medform-norm, Jul 17, 2005.

1. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This has been on sale for weeks on the Dutch auction site: A Cambo 8x10 with accessories and pola processor. Look here.

And not one bid yet! Is there something wrong with this camera or the asking price, or is 8x10 just not a popular format in Holland? Tell me if you know something I don't.

2. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I dont understand much of it, but it seems he is selling an 8x10 cambo, a 305 G claron, a reducing back and some film holders for 1,150 euro, this is way overpriced, unless of course importing the items adds a lot to the price, I dont know.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's a fair price but it's not outrageously low.

8x10" Sinar P's have been going for around $1000-1200 US lately on eBay. I paid $150 for my Polaroid setup processor and one holder (and since have bought two more holders for about $50 each). There are a few other goodies in there, like the reducing back and 4x5" Polaroid holder, and the 305mm G-claron, so it's a pretty good deal, but not off the scale.

4. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It includes a pola processor for 8x10 Polaroids. Of course it's overpriced, but on the glorious Marktplaats they have the curious bidding system where you can place bids below the starting price. So it's more of a barter than a bidding that goes on. Anyhow, most of the times people bid what they think is reasonable, but even that has not been done. Hence my surprise.

5. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

It's a dutch auction-))

6. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Once again I dont speak Hollandaise :smile: but I thought the processor was being sold separately and was not included in the camera auction.

7. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks to me like 1150 for everything together and then broken down to 850 for the camera and lens, 100 for a "tandheugel statiefkop" and 350 for the polaroid stuff if you want to buy them seperately.

I possibly could use a tandheugel statiefkop if only I knew what it was. Even babelfish came up empty. :smile:

8. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You could be right, I dont know...OTOH better make sure what a tandheugel sttiefkop is, you migh be bidding on a burro to carry alll the stuff... :D

9. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Extrapolating from German, I'd guess that a tandheugel statiefkop is a ballhead of sorts.

10. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    statiefkop denotes any kind of tripod head
    tandheugel is a word as foreign to most Dutch native speakers as it is to you lot. It's not even in my DU-EN dictionary. The components are:

tand = tooth + heugel = pinion, so putting 2 and 2 together it's probably some kind of tripod head with finely meshed? pinions?

And yes, it's 1150 for all of this lot together. Paul had the correct interpretation. See, Hollandaise is not so hard to understand, especially if it involves cameras. I find Italianaise a lot easier when reading about a camera-related issue than when it concerns anything else, say politics.

11. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Cambo ain't no Sinar P by a long shot!

12. Huib

Huib Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi,

beeing a Dutchie myself I maybe can shed a bit of light on this one....

Tandheugelkop=geared head.

about the 8x10: 4x5" shooters are rare in the Netherlands, 8x10" even more rare and those that shoot 11x14" and upwards can be counted on one hand....so maybe the problem is not it's price but just the lack of buyers....

Huib

13. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, maybe we should point out to this seller he may have better luck on feeBay? I guess he will be wary of paying the fees, as the Dutch like their things being cheap....

14. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My point exactly.

15. Huib

Huib Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Maybe he sold it already but hasn't pulled the add. Nobody placing a bid doesn't tell the story at all as a buyer can mail/phone the seller and close the deal outside of the website, which, from my own experience is the modus operandi in 99% of all cases.

16. Huib

Huib Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    this specific cambo is from the entrylevel SC range, a master or legend would be more in the same league as a Sinar P.

17. mmcclellan

mmcclellan Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Given the VAT in the EU for new items, this is not a bad price, especially if you live and work in the Euro zone.