Who's used Kodak XX/5222 film?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by jolefler, Sep 18, 2007.

1. jolefler

jolefler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the price, is it worthwhile as a general purpose film for personal (not professional) use? Did you like the results? Thanks!

Jo

2. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks like Tri-X did 25 years ago. Good stuff for a slightly vintage look.

3. jolefler

jolefler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds quite usable. Especially at "short end" pricing.

I forgot to include a question about member's dealings with Film Emporium and their reactions.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Assuming it's a movie film, it may scratch more readily than still camera films. Many movie films do.

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  6. jolefler

jolefler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, all !

7. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

This is exactly what Tom Abrahamsson told me about it the other day and he knows his TX.
    Mark

8. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't noticed it being any more susceptible to scratching than regular still camera films. The biggest difference is in the look of the grain when compared to modern Tri-X and the not-as-good anti-halation layer, which will result in a little more highlight bleed than more modern films. All in all, quite usable stuff, and if I recall, about $120 for 400 feet of the stuff. It isn't used that often apparently, and you can wait a long time for so-called short ends to surface at film emporium. I just bit the bullet and bought the full 400 feet. I don't regret it.

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Clay,

Thanks. The supercoating of movie films used to be softer, or possibly even non-existent (I forget), but it does not surprise me that modern coating technology has improved this. I am grateful for your updating my knowledge and apologize for introducing an ancient irrelevance -- though presumably, if I had heard about the scratching risk, others had too, so it is not just my mind that is set at rest.

Sounds like interesting stuff. Have fun with it!

Cheers,

Roger

10. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a couple hundred feet from Film Emporium last year. I agree, it looks a lot like the Tri-x I used in school, and it seems pretty tough stuff, no more prone to scratching than other Kodak films. Looks real good in Sprint developer. Film Emporium is a good place to buy from, it seems best to call them to make sure they have some short ends in stock, rather than just going by the web site. It is a good film to mess around with.