Why am I getting these weird stripes?

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by gcoates, Aug 7, 2009.

1. gcoates

gcoates Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm shooting using a Nikon F5 and bulk-loaded film in plastic canisters. I'm getting some weird stripes on each roll of film lately. I'm attaching a couple of sample images, and I'm hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of what's causing the stripes.

stripes.jpg
    An image that has the stripes (I'm talking about the 2 dark lines near the center of the image)

stripes-detail.jpg
    Detail of the stripes

2. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the stripes are all the way along the roll, then it could be dust in the dust traps of either the bulk loader or the film cassette scratching the film.

3. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would guess there is dirt on the felt of either the bulk loader (if it has felt, some don't) or in the cassette. You could try a factory roll to see if it disappears or if remains, then look at the camera.

4. Saganich

Saganich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    This looks like it is caused by uneven pressure on the film or dirt but not enough to scratch. This can happen anywhere the film makes contact with something else. If same on multiple rolls - camera or bulk loader. Variable from roll to roll - film cans.

5. flash26c

flash26c Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just got 2 rolls of 120 TriX back from the lab that had these same stripes. Since I was using an SL66, don't think it was caused by the camera and I've never seen them before. I blamed the lab and of course they said it must have been in the emulsion.

6. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You might want to try running a roll or two of store-bought (non-bulk) film through the camera as a diagnostic. If the stripes persist with that film, then you can be pretty sure that the problem is in your camera; if not, and if they reappear with the next roll of bulk film you shoot, then you can be pretty sure the problem is in the bulk loader or conceivably the bulk film you're using.

7. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you squeegee your film after processing? I've had similar looking marks on my negs when I used to use one. Quick advice is - don't use a squeegee......ever!

8. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Greg, you can do a couple tests to find the problem. To check the film itself, cut a small piece straight from the can and develop it to see if it's OK. Then try a store bought roll through the camera. This will leave the film canisters and the loader itself. To test the loader, run film through like you are loading, but don't actually put the film into a canister. I would do this in complete darkness. If you still don't get the marks, try a roll from a can you loaded and see if that is the culprit.

9. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the same lab processing both films? If it is I'd think about changing labs or DIY.