why are easel's white ??

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Rock Poper, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Rock Poper

Rock Poper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm a beginner in the darkroom so I apologize for asking something that clearly must have a good answer ...

I just cant figure it out myself (hungover right now too :tongue:) >>

Why are most .. well, all easel's that I've seen painted white ?

I would have thought to cut down on reflections (and the resultant loss of contrast in a print) it would be prudent to color everything in a darkroom matte black .... It would be a drab place to be, but maybe at least around the easel/enlarger area ??

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My bogen easels are mustard yellow! and nope, I don't know why..

Dave

3. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The bases of mine - a Saunders adjustable four blade and several Zone VI's -are yellow. The blades of the Saunders, and the metal bits that hold the paper flat in the case of the Zone VI's, are flat black.

Murray

4. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I believe that yellow is used because it is light enough to compose on but will reflect any white light that goes through the paper during exposure back in the "safe" spectrum preventing halation. I have had white easles and they don't make sense to me either. I just painted them black.

6. Rock Poper

Rock Poper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got an LPL easel thrown in along with my enlarger, it had some corrosion which I sanded back, and repainted black - I thought tho, perhaps I had just done something stupid that I would regret further down the line, but it appears not.. the other thread answers it quite comprehensively

I should have searched the forum's for this, then I wouldn't have doubled up on the info.

7. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

It seems to me that the best way is to use Black easle, stick a piece of fixed, washed photo paper into it to compose and focus on and then replace that with and unexposed sheet for the exposure.
    But as Bob mentioned. I don't know whether it actually makes a rat's a$$ worth of difference in practice.

8. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's what I've always done. You need to focus on an unexposed, processed and thoroughly fixed sheet of paper anyway, especially if you are using DW papers. My theory is that it can't HURT to have a black easel, even if it really isn't necessary. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Earl

9. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    My bogen easels are mustard yellow! and nope, I don't know why..

Dave

the reason these easels are yellow is that the traditional safe light color is sorta yellow and when the yellow safe light hits the easel yellow easel it looks white and is easier to see.

lee\c

10. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Lee,

I did not know that, or just did not pay attention I guess..

Dave

11. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    Interestingly my Beard 2 blade easels are white and my Beard 4 blade easel is black! I use them side by side and can't say I have ever noticed any difference in PQ in both mono and colour work. The white ones are a lot easier to work with.
    Cheers,

Neil.

12. boyooso

boyooso Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Don't you guys know? I'm confused about this, I thought everyone knew...

They give them to you yellow or white cheaper so that you can paint them black yourself.

Otherwise theywould have to charge full price which would be at least $1500.00

Don't you know you're getting like 60% off!

Stop complaining PLEASE, otherwise they might not sell them to us that cheap!

Corey