Why are the 500EL/M and 500EL/X so much cheaper than the non-motor drive bodies?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by EASmithV, Nov 8, 2012.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is is because people don't like the extra size or because it looks like an Alien?

I've been thinking about getting a back-up body, and the motor drive bodies are so much cheaper than manual crank ones, I may just go with one of those, as it might actually be preferable for certain types of photography to have both.

Are they less reliable or what? I mean, its not exactly an insignificant price difference, i'm seeing about a $200-$300 price difference...

2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Batteries are an issue with them. They were made to use special ni-cad rechargeables that are no longer made, and many of the battery packs are worn out and won't hold a charge. I think there are adapters made to allow use of modern batteries, but at a cost.

3. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    because they are noiser due to the motordrive..

you can find 9V battery adaptors about, and there are still people out there who can rebuild batery packs..

I wouldn't dismiss one if the price was right..

4. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most of the ones I see for sale are converted to use 9V batteries. Would >$150 be considered a good price?

5. jk0592

jk0592 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Even the 553ELX which uses standard batteries without an adapter costs less than a 500C/M. The extra bulk and weight of the motorized cameras make them less fun to use outside and handheld. They are more at home on a tripod in the confines of a studio.

6. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found one (500EL/M) on KEH listed as EX, adapted to 9v for $98.95 and i couldn't resist, so I'll tell you all what I think when it arrives :D

GAS

Now I have a backup body yay, and a whopping 1.2 fps motor drive :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
  7. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I asked the same question about year ago, I was told that in addition to the battery situation, these motor driven bodies were mostly used by professionals and were put through the ringer and the motor drives commonly had problems.

I personally don't shoot film fast enough to warrant a motor drive, and I didn't like the extra bulky look of them. I prefer the classic, clean, chrome lines of the simple 500cm.

8. epig

epig Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find the motorized bodies are easily handheld by wedging my right thumb between the magazine and motordrive while my middle finger rests on the release. Left hand takes care of the focusing and f-stop/shutter work.

Eric

9. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had one 500 elm on this site for sale for weeks. I had to lower my price many times to get it to sell. Final price was $ 150.00 with a prisim and an electrical release cable, no back or lens. Great camera with a 9 volt adapter.

I used it for macro photography and portraits. After getting everything in place for a macro shot it would stink to wind a 500 C/M for a second shot and have to reset everything because of tripod move.

They are great bodies.

10. Bertil

Bertil Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the main virtue of the EL-cameras is the possibility of controling the shutter and film winding from a distance, with a long cable or some kind of radio transmitter - it was popular among studio portrait photographers and wildlife photograpers for this reason, as far as I can judge.

I have a very nice perfectlly functioning ELX camera, no problem with batteries, got it some years ago for something like $150,00 - but I never use it, just keep it going!

EASmithV, Good luck with your EL/M!

/Bertil

11. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got the battery conversion for my 500ELM, which BTW, cost about half what my old 500C cost. Don't know why, they seem very reliable if a bit noisy, but what Hassy is quiet? Agree that they are very nice to hold, but the extra weight may put some off.
    One advantage is that you have a sort of Moon camera, and they sound like a SX70 when they fire!

12. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A hasselblad is far from subtle anyways, I'd go for an ELM

13. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to use one in the late 70s when working as a wedding photographer. I preferred the feel and handling of a 500C. The ELM fealt ungainly and unbalanced to me.