Why do you like Holga?

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by Markok765, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like it because its a change from my auto, high speed, all metal camera.
    The lens gives a interesting effect that works well with many photos, especially nature, night, and building photos. Its light, and cheap [though the price has gone up $7 from the time I bought mine] and is fun to use!

How about you guys?

2. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I spend all week making images which I know will look like they are supposed to look.
    Holga is a really nice way to bring some unpredictability to what I shoot.
    It also helps illustrate the fact that you don't need fancy gear to make great images.
    And you can drop them...

3. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like it because of its imperfections. It removes the thinking of making the perfect exposure and all the technical exercise that it takes to get there. By doing so it promotes capturing emotions, which I think are infinitely more interesting than perfection.
    I'm not saying that you can't do that with an 8x10 view camera, but the Holga sure does remove a lot of barriers. That's what I like the most.

- Thomas

4. Mattjcuk

Mattjcuk Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi,

I enjoy the simplicity of the camera, with the other ones I shoot with, I'm checking the exposure, shutter, etc but with the holga its not really the case. Also I its nice composing the shot and still really not knowing how it is going to turn out.

Thanks

Matt

5. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's purple, it captures the impromptu, and it removes any form of expectations.

6. dianacamera

dianacamera Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Like rorye, I love the unpredictability of it.

7. monosnaps

monosnaps Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Its a good camera it produces good images, it's the only camera I have that i can use in full sun and not be concerned about shadows and exposure. We have had very little sun this year so it got very few outings this year. You can point it at the most contrasty of scenes and it stiil produces a good image. The one I use, the film does not lie flat and I get an unusual distortion as well as the usual vingetting and diffusion, all of which I like.

8. KWhitmore

KWhitmore Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's so cheap that I'm comfortable taking it out in nasty weather like when it's raining or snowing. I like it especially in the winter when it's around -25 (or worse) because it's plastic, it doesn't freeze my fingers to use it. It's an all-season camera!

9. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't...and no one else should! :smile:

10. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Troll! :wink:

Regards, Art.

11. FredW

FredW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It gives me a break from the careful setup and metering of my LF outfits, and just let me look for images. Its a nice break from routine.

12. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I don't use mine as much I should. The only thing I don't like is that they look kind of dumb and the shutter is loud. Also, the one I bought in the US takes rather normal-looking images :confused:

13. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Does your's take 6x6 or 6x4.5 negatives? With the 6x4.5 mask in, the pictures are rather normal looking because the lens is suppose to be pretty much okay for that negative coverage. Make it a little bigger and you get more of the lens fringe covering.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I shoot it without the mask thingy, so 6x6. I've heard that the Holgas sold in Japan feature more light leaks and "issues" than US-marketed ones. Can't say it's a fact, however.

16. Polybun

Polybun Guest

Have you ever seen a holga burn! That alone is reason enough to keep buying them!

anger me holga, anger me, i dare you! I f-ing dare you!

actually its because I'm a clutz and having at least one camera that i can actually afford to replace at any given time is some piece of mind.

17. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like them because they distract people from all the really cool point and shoots so I can get them for next to nothing.

18. Polybun

Polybun Guest

Not all of us, I kind of enjoy my AF35ML.

19. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sorry to be a wet duck, but I don't like Holgas at all. Nor Dianas. Nothing exciting about the soft look of either of these cameras. I do, however, like zone plate a lot.

Sandy King

20. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

You say the Holga shutter is loud? Well, it is going to really need to be doing something to equal my very early Minolta SLR cameras. The "clank-vszzzzzt-flock" of my old Minolta SR-1b told everyone around me that I had just set it off. The early Bronica people might have something to say here also.

21. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the images. It is one of the cameras I use for creating Krappy Kamera Competition images. Mine got packed and put in storage by mistake, so I bought a Diana + to replace it until it is rediscovered. I took it on a cruise with me recently (the Diana) and a fellow look at it an said he initially thought it was a Leica. Well, not exactly, but then I guess in the right hands . . . Bill Barber

22. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not much of a Holga fan. Try a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye, instead. Most of them, but not all, will take a 120 spool in the supply side, just poke a short piece of plastic drinking straw in the spool's spindle slot to take up a little of the slack for the tiny 620 pins, and then you'll have to find a real 620 metal spool for the take up side.

80mm glass lens, f/16 at 1/25 sec. Choose you film based on that expose (PX125 pulled 2 on a sunny day), because you can't change it without disassembling the camera and messing around with it. (Hey, that part is like a Holga.)

MB

23. asp.artist

asp.artist Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I like it because its light, and fun to just throw in a bag or pocket. So it travels well. And, somehow, it takes some of my most interesting photos!
    Anne

24. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A friend of mine modified the front of the lens of his Holda to accept a very fancy lens hood. I could not understand why he did this since degradation of the image from lens flare is one of the primary charms of Holga images.

Sandy

25. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't like Holga.
    It's an inferior plastic thingy, making lousy quality images.
    If I want a low quality machine, I would go for an old folder, at leats there's some style and charm on them.

Cheers

André

26. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love my Holga for a few reasons. Most importantly, I feel its incredibly healthy to use a camera without any bells and whistles and allows the photographer to concentrate on subject only. Like many other photographers, I tend to get caught up in the mechanics of photography and using the Holga is a big reminder that having the latest and greatest Zeiss/Leica/Schnieder whatever lens is only secondary to ones own vision.

I also find the Holga to be a great camera to pull out when you've only got a few moments to capture images. Sometimes I'll take out the Holga when I'm getting gas in the car or while I'm waiting for my wife to come outside when I pick her up from work. I have one in my desk drawer at work and its fun to use when I take a 15 minute break. I also have one sitting by my window to my 5th floor apartment and whenever an interesting bird or cat climbs on the fire escape i grab it and take a quick snap shot.

fun times!