Why I like shooting in the cold.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Sjixxxy, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Big fat parka = many big pockets = good bye bag, and all the weight isn't digging in on one or two straps. :smile:

I'm sitting here emptying my bag into its pockets trying to find the best way to load up the coat, throw the tripod over the shoulder and go for a walk with the speed graphic. I think it might be a good idea to have one of the seamstresses in the family create me some sort of grafmatic holster to wear underneath it.

2. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I wear a vest in the warm weather. Lots of big pockets are a photographer's dream.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Soooo, it's November 26th and I wore a short sleeve tshirt today :smile:

Cold, what do you mean, like 60 degrees F?

4. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Too bad they're so ugly looking. :tongue:

5. Francesco

Francesco Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Wow! I am envious. I went out for a quick shoot today and nearly got frostbite - minus 10 deg C.

6. Dean Williams

Dean Williams Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For a sec I thought this was going to be another one of those "Why I Like Shooting In The Nude" threads. It's too cold here for that nonsense, (this time of year, at least).
    Now, in the summer I....nevermind.

7. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was a whole +1C here in Southern Ontario (-4C with windchill). Some sleet, some snow, some sun. Typical late November day around here. I'll be breaking out the winter coat soon and filling the pockets too.
    Sorry Francesco, but I'm NOT envious of you (well maybe of your cameras...)

8. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

No Pockets.

Oh. I thought that you said "Why I _don't_ like shooting in the nude"

9. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As usual, London was somewhere in between weather wise. 10 deg C. Started dull and overcast, then the sun came out for an hour or two (hurrah!), then it drizzled for a while before finally making up its mind to have a good solid rain for a bit (boo!). By this time it was 4pm so the sun hit the horizon & went down with a soggy thud (not that you could actually see it by then) .... Classic for the time of year.

Forecast for the next 3 months? More of the same (and I don't need zillions of quids worth of Met. Office supercomputer to work that one out)...

Good thing about the cold is that most people stay indoors, leaving us free to photograph in peace. Personally, I don't care if it's cold or hot, I just can't shoot in the &£%dy rain!

Cheers, Bob.

10. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I shoot with a huge coat ALL the time -- no heeding summer heat! Though heading off to Stockholm in the morning just the same :smile:

11. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    .... and no footprints on the sand :smile: .

12. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    ...what's a parka???

:D

13. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Depending on how cold it is, I either go with the Carhart work coat or the old army surplus field coat. Either one has lots of pockets.

What do you wear for gloves? I have some fingerless gloves from back when I used to hunt, but it gets even too cold for that up here.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I usually just use the thick gloves I used to use when I go skiing and just deal with the cold for few moments whenI need to do something that I can't with them on. I'll probably go take a browse around Gander Moutain or the like for some outdoorman type gloves. I think some of the thinner ones made for ice fishing could do the job.

16. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This thread has been an interesting read. Cold to me here is when I have to put on a long-sleeved shirt. Ha.
    juan

17. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's the single-thickness Goretex coat (with vents) one wears when it rains. :wink:

18. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I was up in the Highwood Pass yesterday (in Alberta, Canada) - this is the highest paved road in Canada - altitude is something like 7239 ft. It was -10C, which all-in-all isn't that cold for Alberta in the mountains in the winter. However, factor in the wind gusting to 50-60 km per hour, and the wind chill was pretty severe. I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess at the wind chill - probably approaching -35C.

Now *that* is cold!

Since I was doing mostly road-kill, I would compose the shot, cover the lens (to protect from dust and snow), and then sit in the car until the light was right. Then, rush out, pull of the lens cap, and take the shot. Brrrrr. I think it was worth it tho.

I'm going to sit in front of the fire.

19. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with you on that! I love shooting in the snow & cold, but the rain! AUGHHHHH!!! I got exactly ONE day of no-rain to shoot a roll in the Hassy... then... the skies became leaden grey and have stayed that way here ever since!!! It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! :D

I have one of those photographers vest, and I do not care if I look like the Queen of the Nerd Herd in it! That thing is the handiest thing since Inspector Gagdet! :wink: I wear mine in pride! :D

20. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be sure the grafmatic holsters are of a lintless type fabric, I found out the hard way by putting them into my fleece sweater pockets that grafmatics will suck the dust and lint in from wherever they are stored. Might want to put them in ziplocks individually just in case.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2004
  21. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think we may have different definitions of "cold" - and "not cold" as well. Last weekend I drove from Bergen to Oslo and back in beautiful winter scenery, with a car full of LF gear. I saw several scenes I'd like to shoot, then I looked at the temperature. -15°C. I carried on driving.

When it's "not cold" in Norway, the temperature is usually between 10 and 18°C. Not very bothersome.

May I also remind you that aluminium tends to get brittle at temperatures below -40°?

22. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    "It's the single-thickness Goretex coat (with vents) one wears when it rains. "

...not sure those are legal south of Bakersfield...

:smile:

23. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Since I live in Hawaii, I think I will just keep silent. :D

24. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well some of us are just displaced Kailuans :tongue: Cameras are doing fine but I made a wrong step and got a shoe filled with snow and ice this morning... ah, like my childhood, heh.

Once you get your hand wedged-in, I must say that an EOS is *much* easier to control while wearing thick gloves than is a TLR with little fidgety knobs. Currently -6C here in Stockholm :smile:

25. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The first time I did a model shoot it was a location jobby on a college course, a raw and gloomy day in October in the north of England. Imagine, if you will, thirty student-photographers (with not a clue about what they were doing!) politely fighting for the flash cord...

The lecturer proposed that we shoot outside for as long as the models were willing and then moved inside for the rest of the day. In freezing weather the models (one in a crop top) stood, posed and smiled while the photographers (in heavy jeans, shirts, jumpers and jackets) had to use tripods to stop their shivering inducing camera shake!

My elderly Pentax S1a seized-up after ten minutes and after fifteen the rest of the students had wimped out and joined me in the relative warmth of the hallway... ...leaving the models still posing for the lecturer outside!

Now I have a Nikon F80 which works flawlessly in the worst the UK weather can throw at it... ...and no excuses!

26. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love taking pictures in the cold too ... 1. when the light is good at this time of year ... it's really good.; and, 2. It makes me feel much more alert, and able to think more clearly about what I'm doing. - still carry my bag though.