"Why Photographs Work" by George Barr

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Early Riser, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Early Riser

Early Riser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a heads up. A recently released book, "Why Photographs Work" that analyzes the work of 52 photographers (Kenna, Burnstine, Burkholder, etc, myself included and probably some other APUG members as well), includes the photographer's own perspective on their images, technicals behind the images and George Barr's excellent analysis. I highly recommend it notwithstanding my own small contribution to it.

It's only been out for a few weeks and is already scheduled for a second printing.

2. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Brian: thank you for mentioning this book. As it happens I am in the middle of a personal project that has caused me to think about the "why" of my pictures as much as the "how" and "what." I made a trip to my local B&N and picked it up the other day. It is enlightening to read the author's description of why the photographs are successful, as well as the photographer's perspective.

Congratulations to you and the other Apuggers who have work in the book. Well done all of you.
    Regards,
    Dan Henderson

3. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My lovely wife gave me this book fro Christmas and it is destined to become a favorite of mine. Impressive photographs, impressive commentary.

4. gphoto120

gphoto120 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was fortunate to receive a copy from Per Volquartz when I took a darkroom workshop last month. Wonderful book and workshop! I highly recommend both the book and his workshop. He's a great teacher and wealth of photographic knowledge!
    Gary P

5. kswatapug

kswatapug Advertiser

Bump to the earlier posts. I received a copy as a gift and am slowly making my way through the text and photographs. It is a wonderful book with an eclectic selection of beautifully reproduced imagery, and text that provides a glimpse of insight into the creative process. I'll be sharing it with my students.

BTW Brian, lovely image.

6. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine's on the way. Thanks for the pointer; it seems like this book fills exactly a niche in which I've been looking for something for a long time.

-NT

7. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On my Amazon wish list... looks like a great book.

8. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My copy arrived today!