Why So Little Fujifilm Instax Talk Here?

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by RattyMouse, Jun 10, 2012.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems odd that the Instax line of cameras from Fujifilm rarely get mentioned here. They must sell more instant film than anyone these days. And from what I hear, the image quality from their film is worlds better than Polaroid.

Why is that?

2. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1.the iphone screen is bigger.
    2. instagram.

3. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use Fuji's peel-apart instant films, and used the Polaroid peel-apart films back when they were still available, but I've never had any real interest in the integral cameras (either Polaroid or Fuji).

4. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yup, Instax is much better than SX-70 ever was; of course, I may be biased because I spent 7 years at Kodak working on the Kodak Instant Film System.

Fuji licensed the technology from Kodak around 1980 and was never sued by Polaroid. For years it was available outside the US only. Now that Polaroid has gone 'belly-up' they can also sell it in the US. The technology involved is VERY different from that used by Polaroid.

5. Derek Lofgreen

Derek Lofgreen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because the Film Photography Podcast talks about instant film enough for all of us at APUG.

D.

6. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Neither of which are film.

7. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting. I did not know that Fujifilm was selling a Kodak developed film. Might there be more of that in the future? (Ektar, Porta?) when Kodak finally shuts the door?

8. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, you asked.

9. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Went to a lecture by Phil Borges a few weeks back. He uses an Instax camera to "break the ice" wherever he travels.

Phil comes into a community, takes pictures of the kids with the Instax, gives the pictures to the kids, the kids show their parents, the parents want their own, & Phil gets to take the pictures he really wants. His camera broke on one trip and he said it crippled his ability to work big time.

My daughter is going to China on a summer college program and will be using a Polariod 210 to do something similar, she'll shoot one to give and one to keep on her travels. The keeper is being pasted into a journal then she'll add text. Imagine her being able to show her kids that book and tell her story.

10. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wasn't Polaroid instant in its dying days actually a Fuji-made product?

11. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hah! This (but they are getting better)!

12. xya

xya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    because instax film is just giving superb results but the look of their cameras is a shame. so you enjoy the photos, hide the camera and don't talk about it.

13. Moopheus

Moopheus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's what they sell now. One of the new Polaroids is a rebranded Instax camera.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No. I'm talking rebranded Fuji FP-100B/C.

16. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can totally agree with that. Why Fuji made such dumb looking cameras is a mystery.

17. epp

epp Member

Shooter:
    Holga
  18. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well...I'll jump in and be the first to say that I use the Instax system and I really enjoy it. It is fun at parties and such. It's just fun to use integral instant film and watch a print appear before your eyes. The Instax mini (I have both) is not really worth it in my opinion. With the film cost being so close, it's so much more worth it for the regular wide format Instax. It would be cool to see an SX-70 or SLR600 type of camera for this film but I can't complain about the Instax camera. It's large and it is fun because it is that large. It's enjoyable to handle. The only thing that I would really, really like to see is Black and White Instax film. That would be really awesome. The only things I wish the cameras had is a tripod mount, a self timer, and a way to shut the flash off. Nonetheless, they are quite fun and the image quality is surprisingly great.

19. Psyence33

Psyence33 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Second this! Really wish they would make some bw too. As I can see instax are selling really well recently especially with younger people and the film (instax mini) are cheap.

I'd like to add I own a few instax stuff and my favourite is the instax 10, the pictures are lighter and more vintage and you can set the flash OFF when you don't want it only flaw is the looks (ugly and fat compared to the instax 25), noisy, no timer. :sideways:
    Instax 7s is rubbish :laugh:
    Instax 25 is good looking but can't turn flash off although they is a self timer:smile:

I also have the instant back for the Diana F+ which is really fun especially since you can change lenses and use different flash. I use mine with the ringflash and the fisheye or super wide lens :D and the main advantage for the Diana F+ setup is that you can do multiple exposures with it as well as long exposures! A lot more fun! Disadvantage: not as compact?

I am now looking at the instant back for the LCA so.... there are plenty of people that still uses instax XD Just that they're not as pro looking :D

20. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, they sell the "Polaroid" version of the Instax mini film and camera at Target. That's a plus but the film works out to be $1 per shot there. Not the greatest price.

21. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had the rare Instax Wide auto camera , and it decided to stop listening to the film eject clear sensor. God I hate cameras with microprocessors in them. Then had a 210 (I think) and I might have sold it at the last swap meet or still have it packed in the unsold surplus gear. The images were good, but it was such a clunky camera to pack and use I decide there are other imaging options in life. Film, at a dollar a shot or more was a drag.

22. DesertNate

DesertNate Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been thinking of getting the Diana Instax back and machining it to fit my Bronica ETRS. It should be rather interesting if I can make it fit. Hope I don't lose infinity focus.

23. Joe VanCleave

Joe VanCleave Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I have the Instax 210 that takes the 16:9 aspect ratio wide film. Yes, the camera looks clunky, but it works. And you can turn off the flash using the side control panel flash arrow button. It also comes with the close up lens attachment that has a plastic protrusion that you sight through from the viewfinder to compensate for close up parallax error. Considering what the camera costs, it does fine, though in build quality it's no SX-70; but in today's dollars a newly built SX-70 would be very expensive. I do wish there was B/W film available. Thanks for starting this thread.

-Joe

24. studioesper

studioesper Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    actually fuji photo was sued by polaroid.

25. Bromo33333

Bromo33333 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1. The iPhone isn't bigger than the Instamax 210. But in any event the iPhone isn't relevant to APUG. I don't see people here discussing the latest screen sizes of iPhones?
    2. Instagram is a digital FX program used to post to Facebook, etc. Not sure this would apply to APUG.

26. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm