Why the hell are RB67s so cheap?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by tomalophicon, Feb 28, 2011.

1. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Has anyone seen prices for NEW RB67 and lenses lately? It's bloody ridiculous how cheap they are.
    I can't believe I paid so much for a 1980s Hasselblad. :blink:

2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably the best bang for the buck out there in a professional-quality camera system. I LOVE my RZ. When I got it, the amount of 4x5 I shot was easily cut in half. But I did get it for this purpose, not as a "step up" from 35, as many people do. Shooting 4x5 all the time was getting to be a bit much, especially since most of my prints are 11x14, and almost never over 16x20. This camera is so fast and capable that I always feel just like you when I am using it, thinking, "I just cannot believe such a useful camera was so cheap. Why did I waste so much time and money needlessly shooting sheet film for so long?"

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know why they are so cheap, but like 2F/2F I ain't complaining. Great system, great prices!

Jeff

4. heespharm

heespharm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yop i picked one up for 61 dollars that needed new seals... i just re sealed it and it was perfect....

5. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an RZ system and use a wide angle RB lens and they're every bit as sharp as RZ lenses. I think Mamiya RB systems are cheaper for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that cocking the shutter and advancing the film require two moves. He second reason is that RZ systems have electronic shutters. This is just my conjecture. Both are excellent systems. Both are heavy compared to Hassys though.

6. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you looking at KEH? They apparently got some sort of close out on some new Mamiya equipment some time ago and are clearing out the remaining stock. Strangely, the new items are now cheaper than their own prices for the used, very odd. I went to the B&H web site, they have a 180mm KL for $569, KEH has the same thing, apparently, for $159. KEH sells the lens used for more than that. Very strange, however I have a feeling that they will be done with the cheap new stuff pretty quickly at this rate. I am considering getting new lenses since mine are kinda old and these prices are astonishing.

7. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Guess they are a bit bulky/heavy for some people, that doesn't bother me any.

I wanted to add a prism to my RB kit and found one at KEH reasonable. While there I found a bargain body for $43, now I have enough pieces to make two complete cameras.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2011
  8. morrishilarian

morrishilarian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because it's just cheap! :D So why spend so much money on other brands when Mamiya RB67 is there for you.

9. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Big, heavy, and no f/2.8 lenses.

But versatile, reliable and just damn awesome, beautiful optics, and very convenient once you get over the weight. I've hand held mine the past 2 weekends in the city all day.. no strap or hand grip.. nor did I bring a tripod.

I'm just wishing for that f/2.8.. or that f/1.9

I do shoot a lot more wide open on the 180mm f/4.5C these days.. I haven't found anything to complain about or long for :smile:

10. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Over here I don't think anyone actually buys NEW MF film stuff anymore so the dealers are dumping any stock they might have. I've seen a few places with clearance on new Mamiya, Bronica, Hasselblad V and even some Leica stuff. No point taking up space in the stock room when you know it won't ever sell.

11. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just bought a new 180 for my RB from KEH as I have been wanting one for a while.

film_man, where have you seen clearance stuff?

12. DamenS

DamenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found the new lenses on KEH and they do seem like a good deal, but was wondering where you are seeing new RB bodies listed ? Certainly, I could be tempted into buying a kit ... :wink:

13. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ffordes has some Hasselbad stuff and Jacobs has some listed on their pre-owned site http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/t-preownedequipment.aspx (go the end of the PDF for the new stuff).

You can also try Nicholas cameras in Mornington Crescent although I can't stand the attitude and it is impossible to find anything in there.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2011
  14. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The only true bargains I'm seeing now are in the KEH clearance of new lenses. I got a boxed NOS RB67 Pro S kit(minus lens) about 18 months ago for about US$120. Lots of used/heavily used stuff around, as usual, but is it really a buy if it's beat to hell? It's a hard sell in some markets. Still, the big auction site usually has between 450-500 RB listings.

15. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm taking advantage of this myself. Sorry, but I use the cameras with high school students who love the format. So if I can get another camera with a good lens for a low price, it just adds up and helps me build future analog photographers.

16. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Makes sense. A few friends have barged witlessly into MF, bought junk gear against advice, then whined when it broke or malfunctioned. Getting nice RB gear is easier at the moment, so why not go for it? My RB gets more use than its 645 and 6x6 shelfmates.

17. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just ordered an "as-is" RB67 body from KEH for a whopping $1.29 US. Apparently it needs a new bellows but this will be a nice learning project for me. It has no finder, screen, or revolving back adapter so I will be starting from scratch. I'm also looking at getting some of KEH's new or like-new RB stuff, but their bargain prices are wonderful. The RB67 is a great camera and I wish I had never sold my first one.

18. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    People dump em because repairing them is more expensive than buying another used one. So why are there so many still out there? I can tell you I have brought back many of those RBs from the dead. They just won't lay down n die that easily, maybe out last all of us. Why are they so cheap? Cuz no one wants a big heavy clunker, they want a branded name, Hassy... that is till they try one an RB n see how nice they really are.

Shhhhhhh... don't tell too many people how great RBs are. Once the demand goes up, so does the price.

I hope anyone dumping dead ones will send them to me beofore the land fill gets em?

19. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Yep there are new pieces in Australia too going for little money.

20. DamenS

DamenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Might I ask where ?

21. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RB lovers that shoot landscapes have strong backs or hernias. I love my old RZ but it's too dang heavy. Especially with a prism.

22. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My doctor told me to get a bit more exercise to get my cholesterol down a bit.

The insinuation was clear, get more exercise or start spending money on pills.

I'd rather buy film, so I am starting to see the size and weight of an RB and it's support gear as advantage. :wink:

23. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are OK if they are in a backpack or around the shoulder, but they are not the best around the neck. A longer strap worn like a sling helps. It takes the weight off the back of your neck and puts it onto a shoulder, while still allowing you to bring the camera up to eye level.

24. TimmyMac

TimmyMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is how I carry mine. I wish the strap lugs weren't squared off and I wish they were placed more like the M645 or hasselblads because it sits a little awkwardly when you wear it over your shoulder.

25. timk

timk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, it looks like I'm getting a Hasselblad now, so...

I'll be listing my RB stuff on ebay over the next week or so, don't expect to get too much for it, but you never know. I have a few lenses and accessories so I think I'll be able to recover what I'll be spending on the Hassy, but no-where near what I spent on it to begin with.

What puts me off is the weight, For me, it was *just* manageable as a walk-around / travel camera with a good neck strap, the WLF and one of their smaller/lighter lenses. I took it on a trip to Japan in the middle of summer and after a day I wanted to throw it in a lake. Up until then, it had been great, but after that trip, honey moon = over.