Wich cameras you think is necessary on a collection and why?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by stark_674, Aug 25, 2011.

1. stark_674

stark_674 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi again,

I discover the analog cameras world 2 years ago and I am going to have my little collection of cameras growing....
    So, a simple question, which is/are camera/s suggestable to have on a collection and why?
    35mm MF LF.... what you want....
    We're going to make an ideal perfect collection..... :smile:
    Bye

2. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, it's a good question and inevitably depends how much money you want to throw at it and how much space is available for it to occupy.
    I'm sure you'll have plenty of suggestions. I could come up with about twenty off the top of my head but I'll limit myself to one. You MUST have an example of a Pentax Spotmatic!
    Forget the arguments about who brought out the first SLR with TTL metering - the Spotty brought it to the masses - definitely the Ford Cortina of the camera world and, as such, deserving of a place in your collection!

3. anm

anm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My advice would be to leave the cameras to those of us who want to take photographs, rather than have them collect dust in a collection!

4. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are all perfect

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    box cameras ...
    because they are plentiful
    and because they are fun to use

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
  6. TBN

TBN Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Holga :smile:

7. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Leica. They are mechanical jewels.

8. swchris

swchris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alpa 11si

9. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you're trying to build what coin collectors call a "type collection," I would at least have these three 35mm SLRs: Canon AE-1 (a very successful mass-market auto-exposure 35mm), Pentax Spotmatic (any model), Nikon F (it's a Nikon F, it's a first on so many levels; google it). If you want to include auto focus, I'm not sure what model to suggest there, maybe one of the first Minolta Maxxum cameras (first successful mass-market AF 35mm)? Also these three 35mm rangefinders: Yashica Electro 35 GSN (it's pretty), Argus C3 (many people learned on this camera), and if you can budget it, a Leica M3 (first modern Leica).

There are other 35mm cameras that are worth including. I don't know enough about medium or large format to have a real opinion, but I would have a Speed Graphic and a twin-lens reflex. "Amateur" cameras are so numerous... maybe a 620 folder, a box brownie, a 110 camera? And a Polaroid Colorpack - there are so many models, pick one. :smile:

This would be a wide variety covering a large range of 20th century cameras. Many of these can be had for small amounts of money, especially if they don't work anymore.

10. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The perfect collection should include cameras that you shoot, if you aren't using it it isn't worth having. The only exceptions might be cameras that have been in the family for years and they no longer make film for.

11. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All the ones that look good but do not function, leaving the functional ones for those of us that shoot them.

12. ruilourosa

ruilourosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    collect other thing like post cards, cameras were made to take pictures, do not be one of those who are incresing second hand market value for the sake of putting excellent cameras in your shelfs.

13. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course no one here will admit to being a collector but the reality is almost every film camera user is a collector to some degree nowadays. It's hard not to buy a camera when you find it ridiculously cheap somewhere. I would vote for finding and using if at all possible the really strange cameras. As far as MF cameras to collect- I would look for a Koni-Omega because of it's unique handling attributes and strange look. Using it in practice is not something I can subject myself too, but it sure is cool in theory.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. moki

moki Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    +1
    Collecting cameras for collecting's sake is something I just don't understand and it drives the prices up for those who just want to take photos. It's your decision, though... if you really want to be a collector, don't let us stop you. I have a little "collection" myself, but I never bought anything I didn't plan to use. I don't need several mechanical SLRs, but I do need a compact 35mm viewfinder, one mechanical and one electronic 35mm SLR and one MF SLR. If I could afford it, I'd have a LF view camera too, but I'd use every one of those regularly.

And which ones are inevitable depends completely on your taste and what kind of collection you'd like. Leica and Hasselblad are pretty high on the list for their iconic status and great build quality. Some people like to collect every variation of a single camera or everything from a single brand, others just like to have as many different types and brands as possible.
    As a little tip: Just go to every flea market, car boot sale, and so on and see what you like. Some prefer Leicas, some prefer the Argus C series or all the high end Canon EOS. Your Choice.

Personally, I really like all the cameras from Dresden/Germany, where I live. It was the camera-capital of Europe for many years and there are some really nice cameras and lenses, especially from Pentacon (not to be confused with the Pentagon :wink: ). They're probably a little hard to get on the other side of the big lake, though.

16. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like my Canon F-1.

Jeff

17. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're going to just be putting them on a shelf and showing them off, you're not doing yourself any good because you're not using them, and you're not doing us any good because you're shrinking the secondhand market with each one you collect. But if you're going to actually use them, any working one is fine.

I prefer Pentax cameras, especially the K1000; they're cheap, easy to find, the lenses are pretty good, and I can find broke ones on that auction site to use as parts cameras whenever the two that I use frequently need doctoring :smile:

18. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

btw, the same thing can be said for pretty much any camera comparable to the K1000 :D

19. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Real collections are driven by passion, interest and scholarship--and they focus on specific areas. Do you really want to start buying a bunch of random cameras in every format? If you're going to be using the cameras--they should meet your needs and give you pleasure in use. There's a collector or a user for every camera ever made, so the trick is figuring out exactly what excites you.

20. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Every camera in my collection is usable and was bought with the intention of using it. If I find I'm not using something, it usually gets given away.

Just collect cameras which you like for some reason (look, feel, sentimental reasons, etc) and try to get a working example.

Steve.

21. sbJerseygirl

sbJerseygirl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't see why they wouldn't do both! Build a collection and hopefully use them as well!! yummy
    I like my Nikon N75. N80 is a close model. Love my Olympus, too... I could never afford Hasselblad or Leica, but I understand they are the quality.
    Oh, my - so much to choose from... But yes - build a collection nice to look at as well as use it.

22. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another good choice would be a TLR.

Jeff

23. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree with others who feel that virtually all folks who shoot film today are collectors. Most (I'm sure there are a FEW exceptions) who buy and shoot film cameras today have way more than they would if they were solely interested in shooting. Most probably have more old film cameras in their "collection" than a really dedicated professional ever had. Just read the majority of posts here and it's quite obvious.

I admit, I collect cameras, but I do shoot them all to one degree or another, and most I have invested in having serviced to bring them back to dependability. I will start selling them off eventually, keeping only the ones I really like, but in the mean time, it's fun to play with all of these variants. Never would have had the opportunity at full price. I enjoy the process of taking the photos and using the cameras as much as looking at the potots.

24. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have tired collecting, just last month I set out to collect all so ran 35mms, even bought a few, but I am by nature a shooter not a collector. I have always as divied up photogaphers into 2 groups, those who take pictures in order to own cameras and those who own cameras in order to take pictures. I have no ill will aginst collectors, well other than they drive up the price of some cameras, but no matter how hard I try I am just not a collector. If films just fades away I will have no use for my cameras. The reason I have so many cameras is that I have kept what I had rather than sell, most often becuase they are close to being worn out.

25. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use everyone of them regularly - I do my part in keeping film alive, but I also would like to have a historical perspective on it. When I see such varying designs juxtaposed, it always has me wondering what were the thought process involved at that time . . .

[​IMG]

Also, it is much better to have them in my possession then sitting unused or worst!

26. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sit back and take a long breath. Decide what you want to collect, i.e. format, brand, country, etc. Years ago I had a thing for 1/2 frame cameras as I bought one and loved it. I ended up with a near complete collection of every Olympus model and variant including the F series with all its lenses and accessories. I also got the hots for Exacta and had an amazing number of bodies and lenses from many makers and accessories. During this period there were many oppotunities to collect others but I kept the cash close and kept focused. I was lucky as at the time both 1/2 frame cameras, mostly Olympus but also some Konicas including the Autoreflex that I loved to shoot, and Exacta were not on anyones' list as keepers including owners and they'd trade them in to a local dealer who'd give next to nothing and I paid as low as $5 to him as he wanted to turn this junk over for the good stuff like Konica, Minolta, etc.

There is nothing wrong being a collector. There are those who collect audio equipment, those who collect fountain pens, those who collect ex-spouses, and automobile collectors. Some also use them or a portion of the collection. I've moved my collection motivation of hobbies to a user staus but, understand the collector in each of us. Today I have a few cameras mostly found at flea markets, etc. Down to maybe 6 from hundreds and have 2 systems. I also went from over a hundred fountain pens to 6 and sold off much of my audio equipment collection.