Wicked ice cleats!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by MurrayMinchin, Feb 8, 2008.

1. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    As a letter carrier I've tried all kinds of ice cleats and the ones we're issued by the Post Office (they have 1/8 inch long carbide spikes) are good for most slippery days, but on days like today (a 1/2 inch layer of ice everywhere) well, that's when I put on these bad boys;

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.html

They picture them on runners which I think would get uncomfortable, and say they're good on concrete (which is uncomfortable even with boots on and wears the spikes down fast) but they're awesome on thick ice! I can even see myself carrying them in the pack for those stream crossings using wet logs in the summer.

Murray

2. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  3. Jon King

Jon King Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "stream crossings using wet logs"?? That's one tough mail route you have there!!:tongue:

4. MurrayMinchin

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  5. MurrayMinchin

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's nothing, you should see the Tyrollian Traverse I have to pull off to get home for lunch :D

Murray

6. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey - great info guys. My wife and I went out hiking last Sunday in a hilly park with icy trails and were struggling to stay erect. We saw a few folk with ice cleats and were wondering where to get them.

Think I'll order a couple pair later tonight.

7. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ice? Isn't that the stuff one pours Scotch over????

Vaughn

8. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LLBean has 3 different types from $20 to $50. After climbing around by an icy waterfall last weekend, I've been thinking of getting some.

9. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Thanks Murray, for the info.

I use old style crampons requiring somewhat heavy boots - forget the ice axe (need room for tripod) with rigid frames and front (toe) points for steep ice, but I'm getting too old for the wild adventures. The ice cleats your showing look great for general icy treks outdoors. I also have instep cleats I only used with snow shoes.

I can remember going w/o any cleats up an icy trail - slipping and crashing down every other step - holding onto bushes and trees. I did make it but it was brutal on knees and elbows.

Paul

10. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening,

At least for occasional use, Yaktrax Walkers (www.yaktrax.com) work very well. They use coiled metal wrapped around tubular rubber supports. I can't speak to their durability under long-term use, but I've found them very useful on a number of occasions. The cost is moderate, probably in the$20.00 range.

Another company named, if I recall correctly, Jordan David also makes a variety of traction devices, including some with really serious looking spikes.

Having fallen a few times on packed snow and ice, I unreservedly recommend the use of traction aids. The little they cost pales in comparison to that of X-Rays and medical treatment, not to mention the inconvenience of injuries.

Konical

11. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think so...it's been such a long time since I've seen the stuff (ice, not scotch)...

:wink:

12. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm

You know, I've never understood why Californians always have this need to "post to type" regarding these wintertime threads? It's almost as knee-jerk a reaction as Floridians!

You are SUPPOSED to have good weather!

Maybe what it is that you cannot deal with the fact that we here in the Northeast US have actually had a very mild Winter. Meanwhile, we've watched news reports of motorists stranded for days on snowbound highways just east of Los Angeles - not to mention the massive snow dumps further north.

Oh yeah, that's right - you Californians all go snowboarding in the AM and then head to the beach to surfboard in the PM. :rolleyes: :tongue: :D

13. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Murray,did you order directly from the company or did you find a Canadian supplier? Those look like just the thing I need to stay vertical.

Thanks,
    Mike

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Mike, there is a great Canadian supplier. I have shopped their store in Calgary, am a co-op member and order from them online. www.mec.ca ..Evan Clarke

16. MurrayMinchin

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  17. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Murray.I'm ordering on Monday.

Happy Trails,
    Mike

18. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Well, I spent a week on the Minnesota North Shore. My little spikes were not very useful and my crampons were worthless. I bought a pair of Yaktrax which were pretty good in packed snow but not hard ice. I ordered these yesterday!! Since Murray recommended the pig warmer and these, I think all his suggestions can be well heeded!!..Evan Clarke

19. MurrayMinchin

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It would be a wise move in your retirement financial plan to purchase a rather large selection of my photographs, who's value will surely rise meteorically :wink:

Oh crap! You'll have to wait until the darkroom is finished :mad:

Murray

20. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Jeez, Murray, you may be right. The bad part is that it sometimes requires the photographer's demise..that would just suck!!..Thanks..Evan

21. Marc Akemann

Marc Akemann Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Evan,

I'm the one that had to cancel out on that great trip you guys had last week. I'm leaving this upcoming Monday to go up there anyway and I've been using a product similar to this: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...m_cat=N/A&cm_pla=N/A&cm_ite=netcon&hasJS=true
    I bought mine about 3 years ago and they have really sharp hexagonal 1/4" screws that really, really grab on everything. Looks like they changed the spikes to tungsten carbide spikes and upped the price by $30 from what I paid.

Anyway, hope to see your images one of these days.

Marc

22. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi Marc,
    The Korkers should work just fine. There is a lot of glare ice in places, some covered with a camouflage layer of fluffy snow. I almost slid into the harbor at Two Harbors, it looked like packed snow but was what I just described. I went down on my back and started to slide. Pretty exciting!! Have a good time up there, lots of open water..TTYL..Evan

23. sun of sand

sun of sand Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    :rolleyes: lol

I have YakTrax ..or something like that.
    I like walking on the ice without them as it's a good challenge ..but if I actually want to get somewhere I have worn them
    When I start to fear broken bones ..that's when I'll wear them more often

24. MurrayMinchin

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hmmm, good point. I'd better come up with a marketing strategy that doesn't have everyone checking for my expiration date :D

Murray

25. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Got my Micro Spikes, serious business and way less messing around than my crampons. They're easy to put on and they seem to stay on really well..EC

26. MurrayMinchin

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I was delivering mail to a house a couple weeks ago with a steeply sloping driveway covered in 1/2 inch thick ice that had been rained on and was now smooooth. As I walked up the driveway a fella stepped off the porch and slid 60 feet to the bottom of the driveway without moving a muscle. I stomped past him with my 20 pound satchel on, delivered the mail, stomped straight down the driveway at normal speed, then planted a foot at the bottom and made a right angle turn to carry on my way. The cab driver that was picking the fella up said his jaw dropped and he said, "What the f***? How did he do that"!

Hehehe :D

Murray