Wide Angle Lens for Crown Graphic

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Lobalobo, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Anyone happen to know whether a Schneider Super-Angulon 75mm f5.6 MC lens will fit on a Crown Graphic press camera? My concern is the depth behind the board as the focal length requires retracting the bellows into the body of the camera. I know (from an article posted about the Crown Graphic) that a Rodenstock 75mm 4.5 Grandagon MC lens will work, but from images on the web, the depth of that lens appears less behind the board. Thanks in advance.

2. Augied

Augied Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know about the 75mm, but I have a 90mm Super-Angulon, which I use on a Super Graphic (it's a super set up.) The 90mm works well, but with some limitations.

Rise is limited by the rear element running into the bellows on the inside. It still gets a decent amount of rise, just not quite as much as the camera is capable of. The front standard is so far back that it runs into the bed braces when you try to shift, so you get less than 1/2" there. Bed drop is completely impossible. The standard falls off the back of the rails before you can get it into position with the bed lowered. Finally, the camera cannot be folded up with the 90mm lens installed, I have to exchange it for my 150mm when I pack everything up.

I can only imagine that these problems will be the same or worse with a shorter lens. But if you don't need much movement, then you might be fine. That said, I don't know about the rear depth of the lens, hopefully someone else here can give you that information.

3. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks both to Augied and Dan. You say, Augied, that it's not possible to drop the bed, but I thought that was essential to keep the bed out of the lens' view. No? And although you say you don't understand the question, Dan, you've answered it. I asked, because I didn't have the information you just gave me, and for which I'm grateful. (The image I've seen of a setup with a Rodenstock 75mm, here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/pacemaker/

has the bellows contracted so far into the body of the camera that I was concerned about clearance.)

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Super Graphic is different to the Crown Graphic, I've used a 65mm with y Crown Graphic as well as a 75mm f8 SA and there's no reason an f5.6 75mm SA won't work just as well, as Dan says. It's far easier with the Crown Graphic compared to a Supe Graphic (I use both).

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  6. Augied

Augied Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, it looks like the example you linked to has the front standard running on the short rails inside the body, and the bed is dropped just to get it out of the way. The 90mm still goes on the outside rails. When I said that bed drop was impossible, I was referring to lens movements. The 90mm falls into the gap created by the drop. But if the standard is inside the body, the issue is moot.

As Ian points out, the cameras are a bit different, but in case anyone's interested, with a 90mm lens on the Super Graphic, the end of the bed just barely creeps into the frame in portrait mode. I don't worry about it too much because the things I shoot usually require at least a small amount of rise.

One more thing about the lens you should check on is the diameter of the rear element. Make sure it's not bigger than the lens board opening.

7. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is not an issue. If the rear cell is too large to pass through the front standard, it can be unscrewed from the shutter. Then the lensboard with shutter and front cell is mounted on the standard and then, finally, the rear cell is mounted from the rear. I go through this silliness to use 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon and 58/5.6 Grandagon on my 2x3 Graphics.

8. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35 Grandagon. Sweet!

9. Augied

Augied Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    True, it's possible, but it's a pain. Especially if you want to store the camera folded up, as I doubt it will close with that lens installed. Just something to be aware of before you spend money.

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi

if its any help,
    i regularly use a 65 superangulon on my pacemaker speed graphic ..
    its not a crown but just the same ... i dont think you will have trouble
    except if you need rise, it is difficult to rise the standard, unless you
    have tiny child like hands.
    have fun!
    john

11. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Augied: You say that this process is a pain, but I'm uncertain why. I get that the board needs to be removed because the camera won't close with the lens attached, but is there any reason to remove the lens from the board when doing so, which would indeed be a pain?

12. Augied

Augied Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lens would need to be removed from the board if the rear section is too large to fit through the front standard. I don't know if this is true for your lens, but it is a possibility with some fast wide angle lenses (such as Dan's 35/4.5)

13. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Augied: Thanks, I see now that this is what the original post meant as well. But now I'm lost on the mechanics of it. I'll examine the camera. Thanks again.

14. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 75mm f5.6 SA is a smaller lens than the 90mm f5.6 SA, I don't have the diameter of the 75mm's rear cell to hand but they are smaller than the front cells. A comparison the 90mm f5.6 SA has a filter thread of 82mm while the 75mm f.6 SA is only 67mm filter thread.

The 90mm f5.6 SA rear cell just fits with a few mm to spare so there will be plenty of room fitting the rear cell of a 75mm f5.6 SA.

Ian