wide angle lens for gaoersi 6x12

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by plus, May 30, 2011.

1. plus

plus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi guys,

I'm getting more and more fascinated by gaoersi panoramic 6x12 camera; could you suggest me a light and SHARP wide angle (around 90mm) that fully covers that format in the 400-500 dollars range? I would use it not as a landscape camera (no tripod and so on..) and I would use mostly fast b&w films...but also color transparencies even if occasionally....

many thanx. cheers!

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a 75mm f8 Super Angulon for mine, I found a 90mm isn't quite wide enough for my taste, it's a standard lens for the vertical 6cm dimension. A 75mm is also smaller & lighter than a comparable 90mm, mine cost about 150 euros from Italy.

Ian

3. OP
    plus

plus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Ian, glad to hear you again here. Did you buy it in italy?? You can count LF users here in italy on the hands fingers !! :smile: what a lucky man you are !! what's your opinion on the gaoersi camera instead? Is it reliable ?
    thanx

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had my 6x17 Gaoersi for 3 or 4 years now, it's been very reliable and when I had a mishap with the viewfinder I had no problem getting the broken part. (The camera must have been accidentally dropped).

It was pure luck finding a good 75mm SA in Italy, it was listed on Ebay UK, when it arrived it was mint in it's original box and appeared to be unused.

I think for 6x12 I'd definitely recommend a 75mm over a 90mm. Have a look at Steve Smiths posts recently on his home built 6x12 with a 65mm SA.

Ian

5. OP
    plus

plus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh my God, I saw steve's 6X12 camera right now, it's really OUTSTANDING !!

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you. You probably will not want to know that I only paid £20 for my 65mm SA lens!

Steve.

7. OP
    plus

plus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes, I read it and I'm glad for you, there is no grudge in my heart ... :smile: