Wierd idea

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Robert, May 9, 2003.

1. Robert

Robert Member

I just noticed you can buy a whole 22"x24" laundry sink from the local big box hardware shop for less money then a 16x20 tray from the local photo shop. You'd think they would be chemical safe. Too bad they take up so much room.

2. glewis

glewis Member

Yeabut, think of all the prints you could was in it or use it as a holding tank or
    all the iced beer it could hold!

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    People use all kinds of basins for big prints. What's the bottom of it like? If it is smooth, you would have to worry about the print sticking to the bottom of the tray.

4. Robert

Robert Member

To be honest I didn't do much more then glance at it and think "that's cheaper then a tray". I think the problem would be the drain plug. Still would be cheaper to get four of them and put smaller trays in them. Plumb the last one for a wash sink. Likely four or five of them would still be cheaper then one real photographic sink. I wish I had the room-)

5. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I used one of these sinks at one time. The one that I had proved to be quite effective as a water bath for my trays (to maintain temps) I used an acquarium heater to temper the water. Additionally I used to wash film and prints in this sink. Mine did prove to be photo chemical resistant.

6. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A lecturer on my course recommended cat litter trays for use with B&W prints. I would suggest that empty ones would work best...! :smile:

7. Robert

Robert Member

Well if you used it for fixer would that make it rapid fixer?-))