Wiki Author Disses Film Cameras...

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ic-racer, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suspect this uninformed, editorialism goes on all the time on the Wiki...

From the "Cosina" Wiki with reference to 35mm cameras:

2. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    I suggest you edit the article and remove that line. I doubt there is anyway to prove that the cameras will merely be collected as opposed to used.

3. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ooohhh, a wiki. Look at the shiny DSLR...

4. Matthew Rusbarsky

Matthew Rusbarsky Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It would be difficult to name a camera company more dedicated to film than Cosina. The Voigtlander line seems to be a labor of love for Mr. Hirofumi.

5. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They said Most not all, I'd say thats a fair assement.I don't need both black and chrome versions of 12 different models, some are just to look at.But I disagree with the term "defunct", film is still alive and being used every day.

6. dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't actually look at wiki as a great source of information. Look at how extensive it's article is for imaginary cartoon characters like say Optimus Prime?:laugh:

7. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm a recovering wikipedia editor. I used to write quite a few articles there and maintain many more (all around skateboarding).

It was hell and I now avoid wikipedia at all costs so I don't get dragged back in. Most of my time was spent reverting vandalism (which interestingly always seemed to come from US schools) and battling other users who resented anyone trying to improve 'their' articles.

This sums up the wikipedia editing experience perfectly:
    http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/wikipedia-lamest-edit-wars/

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Street preacher announces end of world, film at 11!

10. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not even sure that I agree with the "most of these will be bought as collector's items rather than for actual use" part (and I most certainly don't agree with the "defunct" part).
    Whenever I buy another camera I always do it with the intent of using it and not as a collectible. Maybe I don't use it very much but that doesn't mean that it is part of a collection.

How about the rest of you?
    Don't you buy cameras with the intention of using them rather than something for your collection?

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As all these cameras use the defunct film technology, most of these will be bought as collector's items rather than for actual use. Conversely, the market gap for DSLR or EVIL bodies to handle SLR lenses with classical mounts such as M42 seems as yet not to have gained the attention of Cosina.

All these cameras use film showing Cosina's unique position in the market filling the gap in demand for high quality film cameras and support a technology that is still evolving.

12. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know how to edit it. I'm not sure I want to get involved with making and correcting wikis at this point. Rather share info on this forum.

This does bring up a 'lounge topic' in that I think we are heading for a new Dark Ages. Since info will be obtained from the 'net' and the main search engine is corrupt and the wikipedia is not formally peer-reviewed, society will keep geting farther and farther from the truth on many topics. Hip culture gurus favor connectivity over knowledge and truth. The Evolution Wiki will dispose with that 'obsolete' theory and the Creation Wiki will be resplendent with digitally-created, documentary style news 'photographs' detailing all 7 days of the process...

13. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I occasionally get grumpy about a new dark ages, what with how obvious it is becoming how much disinformation there is out there, and the easy access we have to it. However, while disinformation and stupidity is all too readily accessible, access to good information is easy and reliable in a way that humanity has never had. If you go back even a couple of decades, people had only two or three trusted sources of information (radio, TV, newspapers) and if you go back a century that becomes only one. We know how much malign editorial influence newspaper/media owners (Hearst, Murdoch, etc) wield and yet for most of the western population, broadcast media has been their only real source of information, and that was considered fine.

In other words, one needs to be media-savvy. At least one now actually has the opportunity to be media-savvy, consider one's sources and find alternatives.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Paul VanAudenhove

Paul VanAudenhove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think the issue is really about how we have become accustomed to finding and using information. If we are content to just look up an answer vs learning how to arrive at an answer, that opens the door to blindly accepting any answer as 'the truth.' Gone are the days of verifying information - we now value speed over accuracy.

Polyglot has it right - we need to be media/information savvy. For me that means three basic questions: What's the source; Is the source reliable and Is it independently verifiable?

16. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Same anonymous contributor writes on Seagull cameras "As of 2011, there seems to be no effort in moving into the field of comparable digital cameras."

Ian

17. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Much as I hate the fact to be realistic about it as far as the photographic manufacturing industry is concerned in terms of market share, and making a profit in the middle of a World recession making film cameras when there are so many on the second hand market that can be bought so cheaply is a dead duck.

18. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure I agree because the current film cameras in production are NOT bought cheaply on the used market. Used M7? Used RolleiFW? Used Cosina R4M? Used F6? They are not bought so cheaply, otherwise I'd have one of each!

19. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are cheap relative to the cost of new top of the range digital cameras.

20. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I buy to use, collect and for parts.
    Out of the 20+ SLRs I own there are 4 or 5 that I use regularly, others occasionally, some are just to have, a couple are awaiting repair so they can be used, a couple are for parts.
    I see nothing wrong with collecting cameras just for the purpose of having them.There are literally millions of SLRs out there that need a home,if it is in working condition I probably would pull it out and shoot it occasionally.

21. Monito

Monito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not "the Wiki", it's Wikipedia. It's not the Cosina Wiki, it's the Cosina article.

Nicely written. Saves me the effort of making a very similar change. Thanks.

22. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The contributor has only made 2 anonymous posts both anti film. Says a lot really :D

Ian

23. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ??
    Cosina Wiki [article] is implied... what else would it be.
    Quote from Wikipedia:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2011
  24. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    heres a good wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentive

25. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I know; I use all my cameras. They are all in working order and have a pretty good sense that most in Apug do the same. I have no problems finding film.

26. Monito

Monito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Folks, relax. Last I looked, photography, and perhaps especially analogue photography, is a detail-oriented discipline.

There are many Wikis. Based on the OP's post, I didn't know whether to look at the Camerapedia Wiki or the Wikipedia Wiki, or the alternate to Camerapedia. There are others (I didn't feel a need to check the Leica wiki, for example). It turned out to be on Wikipedia. Wikis are composed of articles, just as websites are composed of pages and forums have threads which have posts. A page is not a site. Similarly an article is not a wiki.

So specifying "Wikipedia" was useful, hopefully, for some. For others, it seems that Wikipedia is the only Wiki they are aware of. Which is ok. Perhaps learning that there are others is ok too. Perhaps even letting people know that there are others is ok too.

I used all neutral words (please reread my post). Gosh. I didn't know that Wikis were such an emotionally charged topic on APUG. I did not use any pejorative terms, but I can now that a poster has set the tone. So, please, unclench your obsessive focus on sphincters and realize that if a person provides details, it may or may not be a criticism, and if it is a criticism it is probably constructive, in which case perhaps relaxed people are willing and able to accept a little constructive criticism.

So, did I do wrong to post neutral information in an APUG forum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.