Will Analog become illegal (article)

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by arigram, Nov 3, 2005.

1. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Without even reading the article, I must stand by my opinion that people that claim that analog photography wil vanish, are equal to the combination of file-extension and last word of the file-name in the link you provided:
    edit: I didn't see that you pointed to the wider meaning of analog.

G

3. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you saying what this article is about is an analog for photography?
    -Bob

4. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We need a Beaten to death with a rubber hose but I wanna stomp on it again forum

5. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    *sigh* will you people take the time to read it?
    Its about the new proposed digital copy protection mechanisms that since cannot be applied to analog devices will create a legal hole. Granted, the article talks about video and audio but how is still images that different then?
    If a copyright protection mechanism gets imbedded in the next image format, will that make non "protected" analog photographs illegal and/or valuable?

6. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    True.
    Sorry.

A.,
    I did take time to read the article afterwards (I'm a fast reader) and it points to something that I love: they can't control the playability of video and audio on analog devices (tapes, vinyl) and thus can not make extra money from it, each time you want to play a song or movie.

G

7. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ever heard of the phrase "knee jerk reaction" ?
    Grow up, be patient, learn to read before you post.

8. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is still the death of analog issue. I did read the article before I posted.

When one's knee has been kicked a number of times the correct thing to do is to jerk it in the direction from which the blow came! :smile:
    -Bob

9. kwmullet

kwmullet Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looks like it'll be more of a problem with videographers, though I can see various governmentally empowered control freaks trying to mess up just about anything that has electrons bopping about hither dither and yon within its body. Good to know I'm somewhat safe if I just keep the battery out of my Canon F1 and that the Zorki never even heard of a battery.

Perhaps the broader roll of government in the 21st century is to make Amish out of us all.

-KwM-

10. wilhelm

wilhelm Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is a "death of your rights" issue. To summarize, the US HoR (hey, that's funny) is introducing a bill which will require broadcasters to put flags on all broadcast signals, designed to limit or eliminate any ability to copy, or even record, the content, and ALL devices will be required to honor those flags. Even though this is targeted at analog broadcasts, you know that if they get this enacted they'll seek similar legislation that will cover ALL content. This is the MPAA, after all - who are shaping up to be far more anti-customer than the RIAA ever dreamed.

Yet another example of the fact that our government is of, by, and for the corporations, and against the common people. I'm sure the vast bulk of APUGgers don't have large enough suitcases full of money to make their voices heard in Washington; I know I don't.

11. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One APUGer one vote. But if APUGers are typical less that 50% would vote; that is the real problem.

"We have met the enemy and he is us!"-Pogo

12. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Once inacted I wonder if backward compatibility will wane -- forcing us to 'upgrade' all of our equipment so that we can receive the signal sent on the airwaves we have given away for next to nothing to the broadcast companies.

Sony needs to sell recorders as bad as they need us to pay and pay again for their high art productions.

13. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It raises some other questions:
    If commercial photographers demand that there should be a DRM embedded in their photographs will that diminish even more the professional film-using community?
    Will analog photograph become undesirable to galleries, museums, shops because of their lack of copyright protection?
    Or will the analog photographs mark the new era of freedom fighting against digital control?

14. wilhelm

wilhelm Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    All very true. <sigh> Though with legislation like this, voting wouldn't matter; the congress would do all the damage, and we'd all get left holding the bag. All we could then do is vote the responsible parties out of office, and still be stuck with this gun-to-the-head of a law.

Similarly, there is a proposition on the Texas ballot next week, which I'd greatly like to see defeated. At least with this one, the citizenry gets a chance to have their say; I'll definitely go cast my vote, and I'm urging all my friends to get out and vote as well. Incidentally, all you Texans out there, get out and vote NO on Prop 2!

15. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahh but the congress we replace them with can repeal the law! :smile:

As we say in NY: vote early and often!

16. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    There was even something mentioned in the article regarding the definition of 'professional devices' as being things that 'didn't sell well'. I guess we're all going to be considered 'professional' whether we are or not if this baloney is passed. Of course, today if you have a big camera, people already think that you are a professional, since bigger must mean 'professional'.

17. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  18. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It opens fine here.
    Try
    http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/8978
    for a summury.

19. moose10101

moose10101 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Actually, the difficulty of making a high-quality copy of an analog photo without the cooperation of its creator is greater protection than a gallery would have with any digital image.

20. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So does this mean I have to get an LP turntable before they become illiegal? I think this is directed towards the recording and Motion Picture (as opposed to film) industry. Granted I don't have all that much sympathy for the music and motion picture industry considering most music and movies released these days are s**t.

Bill