Will cross-processing destroy my C-41 chemicals?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by egaeci, Sep 26, 2005.

1. egaeci

egaeci Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am using Tetenal C-41 chemicals, which are re-used four times, and so far I've only been developing my slides in the last batch, after which the developer is finished. Now, however, I have brand new chemicals and some slide film that I need to cross-process, and I wonder if anyone knows if it will destroy my chemicals right away, or if I can develop more slide (or negative) film after the first batch? Will I need longer developing times? Will the colours go all crazy? Will it turn out just blank? Please help :smile:

2. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Crossprocessing shouldn't destroy your chems, but I have done it in one shot and replenished systems.

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never cross processed and reused the chemistry as my developer is always throw-away. However, I have mixed E6 and C41 films in the same tank at the same time and have had no problems.

I have never heard of any problems arising, along the lines you are asking about, but the Tetenal kit may be different than the C41 Kodak chemistry I use.

PE

4. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I worked in the photo store, we never had any problems doing cross processing and I have done some cross processing here at home and never had a problem, you should be okay and not have any problems.

Dave

5. egaeci

egaeci Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you all for your replies! I'll give it a try today :smile:

6. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My local pro lab says that they will do it for me occassionally, but not often as the chemistry gets dirty from too much cross-processing.
    Whether or not it is true I don't know, but they say so.

I have it done in a local consumer lab where they do my rolls in an hour. No problems there. The only I have to be careful about is when I have sent them to a remote lab where I cannot instruct the personel myself...then I get my rolls back...devved in E6! They cannot understand why I want to cross process there...so they E6 my films all the time...I hate it!

7. panchromatic

panchromatic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its funny some guy came into my work yesterday wanting me to cross process his K-14 in my C-41 and I couldn't help but laugh. I took about 10 minutes for me to explain to him the differences between K-14 and E-6. He still walked out with a puzzled look on his face. Oh well.

8. noexit

noexit Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I can't find it now, but there is some Kodak documentation regarding cross processing. They say that something like a 1 in 10 ratio of reversal to negative films can be processed without it affecting the results of normal negative processing, assuming normal replenishment. This seems to be the opinion of most lab people who have know what they are talking about. Others have just refused to develop my film, saying "You can't do that. It will ruin the film!"

9. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

10. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Exactly the point of CP... :smile: Kill the film to bring out a different beauty...

Those lab guys and lab gals must think more creatively...