Wine/Plastic Pouches for Liquid Chemicals?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by GarageBoy, Oct 18, 2013.

1. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    They are fine. Where are you?,U.S. Australia, U.K, or mainland Europe? A sensible answer to stockists depends on this

pentaxuser

3. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    just go buy some cheap box a wine, dump the wine (if you are a wine snob like me) and then re-fill the bag after a very very good wash. i bought a 5 liter box at bevmo for $10. have stored xtol for almost a year in it and it is still perfectly good.

4. bernard_L

bernard_L Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just buy or get from a friend/relative a wine pouch with a faucet. Remove faucet (the hard part). Clean. Make a note of the empty weight. Fill with photo chemical; ensure no (or littel) trapped air; put back faucet.

5. MattKrull

MattKrull Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can buy those bags for $3/each at my local wine maker's supply... I may need to do that for my next batch of D76. That would be much easier to pour from than my accordion-jug... I'd still need to mix it in the jug though, I can't imagine stirring in a bag would be easy...

6. Fast

Fast Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have access to similar, but clear bags. How important is it that they are opaque?

7. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. MSchuler

MSchuler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used Platypus bottles from Cascade Designs for years: supposedly their nylon/PE bottles are oxygen proof; not sure about the PE-only bottles. Since they were originally designed for hiking, they may be more sturdy than bottles meant to stay in a box; I've yet to have a leak and some of mine are over ten years old. However, they have a new model that contains a "silver-ion based anti-microbial" which could be problematic.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platypus/bottles-and-storage/category

9. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Opaque (or not) is not important, light isn't a problem for most developers. Plus, they are in a dark room, right?:smile:

I've heard that Starbuck's coffee bags (brewed coffee) have a mylar coating, which might be beneficial, but it's not something I've verified or tried.

Finally, another supplier is US Plastics ("Cubetainers")

10. Dave in Kansas

Dave in Kansas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also use wine bladders for my xtol that I bought at a wine making store. They were not very expensive. It shouldn't matter if the bag is clear or opaque, but I do store mine inside a dark basement and covered with a black plastic trash bag.

Dave

11. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Aren't they in dark boxes ( the cardboard wine boxes) in probably a dark cupboard and in a darkroom Three darks are enough for anyone :D

pentaxuser

12. gleaf

gleaf Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Interesting bit of discovery.
    Check out "Lexington Container" Lexington KY web site.
    They stock Mylar seal-able bags up to drum liner size.
    Thought being if one had the handy heat sealer you could make about any size wine skin you might need for photo chemistry.
    HOw to seal in the tube connection? Ideas please.

13. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my uni years I used the wine bladder exclusively as my chemical means of choice for storage. This worked really well until one of the silver layers deteriorated for whatever reason. I next moved to clear PET bottles stored in the D/R under darkness which has been far more economical as I no longer churn through wine in a box.