Winogrand: Figments From The Real World

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by davela, Oct 24, 2010.

1. davela

davela Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Figments From The Real World by Garry Winogrand, John Szarkowski. This is the 2003 hardcover edition in superb condition.

Price: $250 OBO plus insured shipping

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2010
  2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great book! I have in near-mint condition! I got a deal on mine. Someone didn't know what they had.

3. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sigh. How much to rent for a month?

4. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They can be found in libraries, though I think that is usually a three week checkout.

5. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Libraries? I thought all the kids with digital cameras and iPods burned those down?

6. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed. They are far too often overlooked. However, I have found some very good and very rare and/or expensive photo books in libraries.

Heartbreaking story alert: My college library used to have a first edition copy, in French, of course, of The Decisive Moment, but it was stolen some time in the past five years. What a bloody shame that was.

You really find some gems there...and sometimes they will even go out of their way to acquire a book by request. It cannot hurt to ask, anyhow.

BTW, not sure if it is in libraries yet, but Freidlander has a new book out called "America By Car." It is worth a look. I have it on loan from a friend, but I would definitely want to own it.

Anyhow, sorry to hijack the thread, Dave. It is a great book. Definitely worth owning if you can swing it.

7. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow. I had no idea these had gotten so expensive. I got my copy as a birthday present in 2005. I love it, one of my favorite monographs.

8. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    $250 now? I'm glad I picked up my copy off Amazon when it was $47.

9. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ....and the price will only increase. Jim Goldberg's "Rich and Poor" only cost $25 new, but now it's been out of print for years and copies easily fetch $800 (he's still alive too and could re-publish the book at any time). It might seem expensive, but given that Winnogrand is dead and there's probably not going to be a re-issue of this book in the foreseeable future, I bet this book will triple in value in 10 years. I'm not an expert in book collecting by any means, but I've seen this happen to a few different books.

10. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jordan's quite right. Just try look up this (or other) book on Amazon, eBay, etc.

11. davela

davela Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    One problem for those who speculate in rare books is that sometimes when the value of an out-of-print book goes off-scale, the copywriter holder reprints it.