Wireless shutter release for older cameras

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by montysano, Aug 27, 2008.

1. montysano

montysano Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

As a way of reigniting my interest in MF photography, I want to be able to hoist a Minolta Autocord into the air, stabilize it, then fire the shutter.

I assumed that, in today's wireless world, a wireless shutter release would be available. They certainly exist for newer digital cams, but so far I've found nothing to fit the older universal fitting on my cameras.

Any ideas?

Monty

2. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, you could build one yourself. The electronics aren't that hard to master. You might even find plans for something similar on the web. You'll need a radio transmitter piece, a receiver piece, and a relay/spring that can drive a small metal pole hard enough to trip the shutter.

3. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is easy and not very expensive to buy a air release that can be fired from 20 feet which should fiy your Autocord.

4. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have lots of little kids running around the house with RC cars and if I needed a remote camera release I think the easiest would be to tear out the steering servo and reciever from a cheapo RC car. Hook up the steering servo to push the shutter button or shutter release cable.

Another possibility would be a timer.

6. montysano

montysano Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmmm..... the RC car servo is a great idea.

Where I'm heading with this: there's an incredible wilderness area near here. Trying to capture it on film is what got me into photography.

But every time I shoot there, I find myself on the edge of a canyon thinking that the perfect shot is 100' out from the edge and 50' above the floor of the canyon. So I wanna figure out how to get a camera there.

7. DannL

DannL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Bob Eskridge

Bob Eskridge Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have built one using an old RC airplane controller and servo. Mine operates a mechanical cable release which of course is usable with any shutter that can be tripped with a cable release.

Takes a good bit of trial and error to get the actuation just right and in a small package. Mine would be pretty heavy for use in a small RC controled aircraft but for the right kite it would be usable.

9. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Monty;

Another group that might have some ideas for this is the Kite Aerial Photography group. Using a large and stable kite, or a large balloon or kytoon, it will be fairly easy to get the vantage point you want. There are even ways to aim the camera by remote control. The KAP guys have done quite a bit in this realm. I am away from home right now, and I do not have any of my resources at hand to quote for you. Please try loading Kite Aerial Photography into a search engine. If it does not work, let me know, and I will send it to you.

By the way, we do have your namesake city here in Washington. A slight variation in spelling with an "e" substituted for the "y," but it is there.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  10. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think you may find the "shock mount" a little lacking for your needs. Also check on the payload capacity to see if it will haul the camera that you want. These are mainly designed around little digital devices. You can probably find more info from users at http://www.rcgroups.com or one of the aerial photography forums. They are fairly expensive.

11. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would NOT send a Minolta Autocord up in the air on a kite. Unless you don't like it. Every time (after you take one photo) you bring it down, it's an adventure in disaster.

There are a couple KAP groups on Flikr. Start there. I have a setup using Model Airplane RC equipment, although RC car stuff works as well and yo u don't get into problems with RC aircraft fliers by stealing their radio space. I also have both a home built and a kit built gizmo for attaching said servos together with a small Cannon Sure shot camera. Auto focus, auto exposure, auto advance.

Do some research before sending your Minolta up.

tim in san jose