Wista DX ID?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Bluemoon7, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Bluemoon7

Bluemoon7 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am looking to buy my first LF camera and was looking at the Wista DX. I have found one for sale but cannot get a great deal of information about whether it is a DX or DX II. I am also puzzled as to the wood and the red bellows. Can anyone shed any light thoughts as to what wood this is and whether it is a DX or DX II?

It is from a camera dealer but he has no information with it and doesn't know much about LF cameras. It looks to be in good condition. What faults should I be looking out for? Any help would be appreciated.

Should there be a front plate on these or any kind of stamp with the model number. If so where should it be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris :smile:

2. alexphoto

alexphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, The camera is a Wista DX because it has shift on the back standard. It looks like the 'Rosewood' model, but it's actually made from sandalwood I believe. Doesn't smell like it though. Alex

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's the Rosewood finish, as long as all the brass works & bellows are in good condition the camera will be excellent.

From the photo's the camera looks well looked after and near mint, as long as everything tightens down properly there's very little can go wrong. Lens board is the wrong way around (inside-out :D

Ian

4. Krzys

Krzys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just bought a Wista Field and this thread confirms that it is a DX. Thanks!

5. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fixed or interchangeable bellows?
    With fixed bellows it is a DX and with interchangeable bellows it is a SW.
    The SW takes the same bellows as the SP, VX or RF (nice if you want to use short lenses and still use a wooden camera).

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fixed bellows, but OK with a 65mm- tilt back & front, or a 300mm, I use a Nikkor M f9 300mm.

Ian

7. Bluemoon7

Bluemoon7 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the information guys. Should there be a brass plate on the front? The reason I ask is that in every picture that I have seen there has been one but there doesn't appear to be one on this particular camera. Also is the red bellows usual? Would there be a serial number anywhere on the camera?

The camera would be to take mainly landscape pics.

Chris

8. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The camera looks alright and not missing anything, but the lens board is mounted backwards in the pictures.
    Nice camera.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The brass looking name plate is usually just stuck on, it's not brass, the red bellows are unusual but look great. I've had my 54DX since 1986 and it was second-hand then they are xcellent for landscpe work. That's all mine gets used for at themoment.

Ian

10. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The name plate on my '82 vintage DX has a silver/chrome finish. It's a thin glued-on plate on the focus cross-rail, and the camera would probably look better without the color mismatch to the brass parts. The plate has "Wista Field" printed on it with black ink in 'negative', letting the 'silver metal' show through to form the letters and a border.

That shouldn't make any difference at all unless you miss a name-brand label that doesn't match the camera cosmetically.

Lee

11. Bluemoon7

Bluemoon7 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for that Lee & Ian. I was just really trying to see whether there was any way to date it hence the question about serial No's, etc.

Probably not?

Cheers

Chris :smile:

12. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a similar plate on the back rail of the bed at the right side. That has the serial #. The camera I purchased in '82 is #F50466. The plate position is show in the attachment. Looks like it's missing on this camera, so dating would be a bit of a chore for an expert. Perhaps someone refinished this one or didn't like the nameplates.

Lee

Attached Files: